DTS or STS...That is the question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, DTS or STS...That is the question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I am new here and currently own an Impala. Depending on the news from the body shop on ...
    The_Boss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

DTS or STS...That is the question

Hey guys, I am new here and currently own an Impala. Depending on the news from the body shop on some repairs, I may be looking to get a new ride. I want to stay American, preferably GM, so why not a Caddy?

I am stuck between a 2007+ DTS Performance or 2008+ STS V8 AWD (Is the V8 worth getting over the V6?)

Can I hear some pros and cons?

I live in the Midwest and travel between WI and IL alot, so AWD or FWD would be highly preferred. I need a large, full size vehicle, so these two fit the bill. I like to mod my cars, so if I can throw a PCM tune, exhaust and intake on for some performance, that'd be nice. Anything else is just a bonus.

All tips, info, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Re: DTS or STS...That is the question

The DTS is strictly a FWD. With decent tires, you should have no problems in winter. The DTS Performance has the Northstar V8, with approx. 300 HP and almost 300 ft lbs of torque. It's a very comfortable and roomy car. The Performance edition has a slightly better pick up off the lights than the other trims (Lux I, Lux II, base, etc, ). They are slightly de-tuned versions. My 2008 DTS Lux 3 is very floaty, rides nice, and is quiet, but my older Deville DTS handled better, and my recollection is that it had better acceleration. The STS AWD is a different beast. I'm not comfortable sitting in them ( feels like sitting in a bathtub). I've not driven an AWD version; no doubt it handles fairly differently. The V8 Northstar is about the same as the Performance DTS (I believe). The V6 option, IMHO, is adequate, but a disappointment.

Thanks for the response.

I really like the luxury of the DTS. I wish it was AWD, but fwd isn't horrid. Does the mad tuner work with the DTS aas well?

I like the AWD, 6 speed and sporty look of the STS, but the interior has a cheap plasticky look to it. Imo

I guess this is why I'm torn. Haha

I suppose I'm open open suggest from other brands too if need be.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The Northstar in RWD cars makes 20 more HP. If you're into mods/tuning, I would suggest the STS, there's essentially nothing available for the FWD Cadillacs.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Having owned both, here's my take on your conundrum. First of all, I'm not into tuning and "breathing on" cars so the way they come is the way I buy and keep them.

Room: DTS hands down the winner. The STS can accomodate 4, but the DTS has room for 5 (although the center-rear is a tough beating on your butt). The front seat comfort is such more sumptuous in the DTS because the STS is narrower.

Interior Storage Space: STS none to speak of, DTS lots of pockets, bins, etc. Pi$$ed me off royally with the STS.

Trunk: DTS by 40+% over the STS.

Rip-roaring acceleration: STS, although the DTS can keep its head up.

AWD vs FWD: I owned an AWD STS and never got stuck in snow, I've owned 2 DTS-types (current and previous style) and never got stuck in snow.

Comfort: STS = oxcart over a Belgian cobblestone road; DTS = reading a book in your armchair. The main reason I sold my STS.

V6 vs V8: no difference you would notice when you stomp on the Loud pedal. Although the V6 sounds a lot rip-roarier.

Gas mileage: worse with the AWD V6 vs an FWD V8 (I know I'm going to get hate mail but I have 10 years of numbers to back up my statement).

My choice: look at the header and see what I drive. BTW - Lux 3 gets a bunch better mileage than a Performance due to the axle ratio...
    The_Boss and The_Boss like this.

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

I've been driving FWD Buicks since the '90s and find no difference with my DTS. Based on comparing looks alone, I prefer the sleek overall lines of the DTS over the STS, but to each his/her own on such a subjective matter. For obvious reasons, I like the arguments hazcaddy (above) makes. Ultimately, you're The_Boss. Have fun picking and enjoying whichever you eventually choose.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS | 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    (Is the V8 worth getting over the V6?) YES

I live in the Midwest and travel between WI and IL alot, so AWD or FWD would be highly preferred. I need a large, full size vehicle, so these two fit the bill. Sounds like you need a DTS

I like to mod my cars. Sounds like you do not need a DTS or STS. STS-V perhaps?

All tips, info, suggestions, etc. are welcome. Get a N* but don't mod it

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

You cannot beat the luxurious RWD proportions of an STS with a FWD DTS (poor dash to axle ratio due to FWD with transverse mounted engine.) I owned a 2004 Deville DTS and many other FWD cadillacs. See my previous cars in my profile. These two are very different cars. Depending on your budget, you could pick up an STS platinum, which would solve your problem with the interior quality. The engine sound is a matter of opinion as I much prefer the sound of a V8. If you end up going with STS, consider the northstar. You're looking at 320 hp and 315 torque, more power than the v6 and a very minor fuel economy penalty. Also more power than any variation of the DTS. DTS is going to have a much floatier ride, and definitely more comfortable. The STS will have a sportier ride, so stiffer but not jarring. Relatively speaking, one might say it is actually jarring. So please test drive both of these before deciding. By the way in the STS forums there is a prospective STS owner currently asking opinions on what to look for in an STS, so things like engines and options are being discussed. One key thing for fuel economy is to go with the 6 speed. The STS went to a 6 spd for the v8 in 2007 and 6 speed for the v6 came in 2008. 2008+ side blind zone alert and lane departure warning are standard among many other advanced features. This could be the case for the DTS as well, not sure. 2005-07 had a different style than 08+, though I'm sure you've researched that. Both cars are very different and great in their own way. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Also does the Dts have push button start? Walk up to the car, car detects key fob in your pocket, open the door, sit, push button, starts, drive, done driving, push button to turn her off, leave the car close the door walk away and the car locks itself without you ever reaching for the key fob. Been a standard feature on sts since 2005. I imagine on the dts it's available as well?

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I imagine on the dts it's available as well?
    No the DTS doesn't have it, but it really is no biggie. Took me about a week to get back to pressing a button on the fob to get in and turning a key to start. On the way out I hit the delay-lock button and the car locks itself after I've picked my stuff / shopping off the back seat and walked 5 yards away.

In fact I'm so used to it again that I get confused in my wife's new baby (2012 SLK350) and look for where to put the key, instead of pushing the Start - Stop Engine button. Just what you're used to, I guess.

I really like the STS Platinum, but it seems so hard to find one. My criteria are pretty specific too. AWD, V8, Platinum STS, low miles.

I have RS on my Impala and it is with the remote, turn key to on, press brake to drive.

http://www.koppingermotors.com/2008_..._186554514.veh
    Silver awd platinum. mileage might not be ok for you
    http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=54036613
    Seems to meet your requirements.

You're right there aren't many around. I didn't check autotrader. On autotrader you can punch in platinum as a keyword but the color "light platinum" will come out a lot so you'll have to actually click on the cars and look at pics to determine whether or not its a platinum.

If the 08 had the miles of the 07, we'd be in business. My goal is to ideally stay below 50k miles if possible. I am partial to white, but I've found the STS and DTS more desirable in black and silver.

I really appreciate everyone's help and if anyone else has some input, leads, etc. please feel free to chime in.

Thanks, fellas!

ronm01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Bronze Beauty 2010 DTS Platinum

The_Boss, I'd be interested to know what you get, regardless of whether a Caddy or something different. Have a great time looking and deciding.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

For me there would be no question...
    It would be a DTS Platinum or Performance model.
    ronm01 and ronm01 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.