DTS or STS...That is the question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, DTS or STS...That is the question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I will keep everyone posted with news and of course any other questions. Thank you to everyone who has replied ...
    The_Boss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: DTS or STS...That is the question

I will keep everyone posted with news and of course any other questions. Thank you to everyone who has replied and anyone else is still welcome to.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    Hey guys, I am new here and currently own an Impala. Depending on the news from the body shop on some repairs, I may be looking to get a new ride. I want to stay American, preferably GM, so why not a Caddy?

I am stuck between a 2007+ DTS Performance or 2008+ STS V8 AWD (Is the V8 worth getting over the V6?)

Can I hear some pros and cons?

I live in the Midwest and travel between WI and IL alot, so AWD or FWD would be highly preferred. I need a large, full size vehicle, so these two fit the bill. I like to mod my cars, so if I can throw a PCM tune, exhaust and intake on for some performance, that'd be nice. Anything else is just a bonus.

All tips, info, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Thank you!
    Hello The_Boss,

I see many great posts from other members offering great advice! I hope your decision process in purchasing a Cadillac is going well. If there are any questions or concerns you would like to further discuss, please reach out to me! I can be contacted via private message and would love to help you continue this journey of purchasing an amazing vehicle

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    The_Boss and The_Boss like this.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Here is what I observed. My comments focus more on the non-performance items for what they're worth.

So I'll start with the pluses the sts has over the DTS.
    Push button start. I don't know why this got left off the DTS. Plus I believe the doors not only unlock automically when you attempt to open the door with the key in your pocket, the other doors unlock as soon as the door handle is pulled. On my DTS, it's annoying that I have to hit the unlock button twice to unlock all the doors. The steering wheel control for the audio feels better placed. The volume control is much more responsive on the sts wheel. On my DTS, I have to hold the volume up or down button and the volume changes way too slow. Overall, it is easier for me to keep the keys in my pocket and just jump in the STS and go. I like how the steering wheel and seat move to positions that make it easier for me to exit the vehicle. As soon as I start the vehicle, the steering wheel and seat move to my preferred positions. I also liked how low the seats can go. I don't like sitting up high and the DTS doesn't have seats that can be adjusted very low at all. I feel like I'm sitting "above" the car in my DTS whereas I feel like I'm "in" the car in a sts.

The similarities. The electric steering wheel adjustment operates just like my DTS which is nice. The sunroof, auto dimming of rear view mirrors, rear parking assist and bluetooth all operate the same.

Things that the dts did better than the sts. Turning the headlights on or off is not very intuitive. I still haven't figured out how to do it or turn on the foglights. Some people may say there's no need to turn the lights on or off as they turn themselves on or off automatically based on the lighting conditions. But I have to shut my lights off at night as I enter the gates at my job so I don't blind the security guards as I approach. Connecting to Bluetooth did not work trying to use the button on the steering wheel. I clearly said "Bluetooth" over and over again and it could not understand the command. My brother who had never driven my DTS or any Cadillac, was able to connect his phone to my car without even having to read any directions. It also seems that even though I was able to get my phone connected to the Bluetooth through the in-dash display, when I left and returned to the sts, the car did not automatically reconnect to the phone. In my DTS, anytime I enter the car with my phone and the Bluetooth is either already on or turned on while driving, they automatically connect to each other. The ride is notably harder in the sts, but that didn't really bother me. All the plastic in the car really made the car feel kind of cheap and felt like I was inside a Kia or Toyota. The lack of led interior lighting in the sts was disappointing. As led lighting is becoming the standard for lighting, I fully expected to have some led lighting in the car. But there was none for the interior, reverse, buttons except for the rear turn signals. This is a no-go in my book. At least in a 2011 Cadillac. The trunk doesn't open all the way like in the DTS. The convenience of not having to use the remote or button in the vehicle to open the trunk offsets that inconvenience, but then the trunk size is disappointing. I carry 2 gym bags to work and I have to make an effort to get them to fit. The radio/nav/climate control looks very dated. If I shut off all climate control, I'd still like to know what the outside temp is. The dual disc slots for gps and cd/DVD disc just looks tacky. Neither slot would accept a disc so I couldn't test out the responsiveness of the player. The DTS at least hides the gps disc slot behind the screen and the other slot for cd/DVDs is vey subtle. Steering is noticeably more difficult in the sts. I've been driving Cadillacs for the last 11 years and I'm accustomed to being able to turn the wheel with just one finger.

Things that I didn't know were because the car was not operating correctly or if it was suppose to operate like that. When I drive in reverse, only one rear view mirror rotated down. And it didn't always go down every time I went into reverse. Throttle response and braking was sluggish compared to the DTS. Assuming they're both drive by wire engines, it could be the cheap 87 gas, the rental company has been putting in the tank. And the sluggish braking could be caused by the need for some type of maintenance for the car. But it only had 27k miles.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

ogbuehi....
    To turn off the headlghts in the DTS... Just turn the headlight knob to the left... to turn then back on, turn it to the left again.
    To turn on the foglights... push the center of the headlight knob... to turn them off, push it again.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Re: DTS
    I thought you could program the unlock feature to either unlock one door or all doors with one push. Personally, in a dark parking garage or parking lot late at night, I like the idea of opening only the drivers door, just in case some moron is on the opposite side of the car wanting to jump into the passenger's side and make off with my car.

Interesting ogbuehi that you would comment on the sluggest throttle/brake response of the STS. I was looking to purchase the STS at the time and drove both the V6 and V8 version and really didn't see that much of a performance difference. Then I drove a DTS Performance and it seemed positively light on its feet relative to the STS's. That one drive was the decision maker.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    ogbuehi....
    To turn off the headlghts in the DTS... Just turn the headlight knob to the left... to turn then back on, turn it to the left again.
    To turn on the foglights... push the center of the headlight knob... to turn them off, push it again.
    I know how to do turn my lights on and off on my DTS. That was one of the things the DTS did better than the sts. Figuring out how to do that in the sts was not as intuitive.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Ok I just want to clear a few things up. I'm not getting defensive I just want to make sure there's no misinformation, to no fault of your own, ogbuehi. Ill go in order here.
    On the sts, you can program whether you want a tug at either front door handle with the fob in your pocket to open all doors or driver only. That solves your issue, tulsavic, which is very understandable and probably exactly why you have the choice. It's also why the fobs want you to press twice to open all doors on the dts, and the sts if you choose to use the fob.
    I thought you could set the driving position and exit position in the dts just as you could on the sts. I'm pretty positive I was doing this on all my previous Cadillacs which go as old as a 98 Deville (not including
    My current 79 coupe Deville.)
    Headlight operation would be intuitive for someone used to driving Japanese vehicles. I guess the thought process is the left turn signal stalk is all lighting. The fog light is turned on by a "ring" further up on the stalk being rotated up away from you. Once you rotate it as far as it goes it'll spring back to its original position and the lights are on. Repeat to turn off. Overall I agree with you on preferring the knob for lighting.
    The voice recognition is a running joke on the sts. "Pardon? Pardon?" Gotta love it. Not sure if you're under this impression but the phone button on the wheel is for onstar phone not Bluetooth phone. Also I found connecting my phone to the car for the first time quite intuitive using the screen. One more thing on Bluetooth, if you go to settings and Bluetooth where you find a list of devices paired to the car, even if its just 1 device, you select the device for example "mike's iPhone" by pressing your finger on the word "mike's iPhone" and then press the button on the side that says "default" it will underline "mike's iPhone" and now it'll connect automatically. We learn something new everyday. Moving on,
    In order to get the slots to accept a disc you need to press the button right on the left of the slot and then it will say something like "insert disc 1." The 6 disc is good but very sensitive. A lot of people have issues with discs getting stuck and its almost 3k to fix because you have to get a whole new nav. I learned with my 07sts v8 and now I don't even touch the CD player in my 09 sts-v. Get yourself an iPod!
    The steering being stiffer is a characteristic of more performance oriented cars. It's meant to inspire confidence in the stability of the vehicle. It's the same reason your steering gets stiffer at higher speeds. Honestly it's the way all automakers are moving in an effort to copy the Germans. The sts is more of a "sporty" car where the Dts is meant for people who still long for the traditional cadillac drive, floaty ride, big, easy to steer, thinner steering wheel. If it only wasn't for that damn front wheel drive. Come on admit it. Dts guys long for a technologically modern version of the 93-96 Fleetwood broughams only with more power. Even the 5.7 had trouble moving that beast. Fwd makes Dts a No go for me, both in terms of feel when accelerating, and in terms of the appearance (see dash to axle ratio of fwd vs RWD cars.) Ok back to the write up.
    You can't get both mirrors to tilt down when reversing. Only one at a time. Switch the lever to the left as if you were going to adjust the left mirror. Only instead of adjusting it, let the lever sit to the left and when you reverse the left mirror goes down. Same with the right. Let the lever sit on the right and that one will go down. First time i experienced both mirrors going down as an option was the new xts. Never found myself needing both down but hey, part of luxury is being able to choose.
    Mirror is supposed to tilt down everytime you put it in reverse. Something is wrong there.
    Throttle on the dts is more responsive. I've driven many types of cars, BMWs, Benz, nissans, all that. The trend I see is that more luxurious cars tend to ask you to press down on the throttle more to get the car going. It allows you to more easily modulate the throttle without jerking the car. Not saying the DTS is jerky. I honestly don't know. I had a 2004 Deville Dts that really asked you to press
    down to get going so maybe cadillac changed that over the years on the Dts. NOW, Don't be fooled into thinking a car with less of a throttle response like the sts, is slower than a car that's willing to go at a more slight throttle tip in. The slowest sts money can buy, the RWD v6, still will hit 60 from a standstill almost a full second before the Dts with the v8. Go better on the options (awd v6 or v8 or RWD v8) and you're looking at 1 and a half to 2 seconds difference which is quite significant.
    Anything I didn't comment on I either don't know enough about, or I completely agree with you on. Good write up. I really think if someone is torn between a sts and a Dts, they only need to test both of them to know immediately which is the car for them. These cars are so different.

----------

By the way speaking of throttle response, a 4 cyl Nissan Altima is a very difficult car to drive smoothly. Back home we have a 03 Altima 4 cyl and once you tip in the car lurches, whereas on my much faster v, you have to press on the gas much more to get her going. It allows a more luxurious ride for you and your passengers when you're not smoking BMWs at stop lights. They hate to see those vertical tail lights.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    If the 08 had the miles of the 07, we'd be in business. My goal is to ideally stay below 50k miles if possible. I am partial to white, but I've found the STS and DTS more desirable in black and silver.

I really appreciate everyone's help and if anyone else has some input, leads, etc. please feel free to chime in.

Thanks, fellas!
    Hello The_Boss,

I've enjoyed reading this forum thread and see the great interactions and advice on the 2007 DTS performance vs. 2008 STS V8 AWD. I will be interested in hearing what vehicle you decide to get too. Good luck with everything. I can be contacted via private message if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.