'06 DTS Overheating Problem - NOT Thermostat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By phigment
  • 2 Post By cjcarlin
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, '06 DTS Overheating Problem - NOT Thermostat in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My '06 DTS is constantly running hot, even at highway speeds. Changed the thermo but problem persisted, and even checked ...
    John F is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

'06 DTS Overheating Problem - NOT Thermostat

My '06 DTS is constantly running hot, even at highway speeds. Changed the thermo but problem persisted, and even checked the new thermo again. At lights there is little or no heat, step on it and heat blasts. Restricted heating core? If so why would that cause engine to run hot? Where exactly is it located and how big of a job to replace? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Re: '06 DTS Overheating Problem - NOT Thermostat

Are you sure you're not low on coolent. Check drivers side front for water on the floor under the water pump. Mine went at 70,000 mi.
    Norm

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    How "hot" is it running?

If the coolant is not low, I would suggest checking the purge line for flow.

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Yep, what MoistCabbage said. No heat at idle indicates air in the line. Changing your coolant will do this. When I changed my thermostat my car did the same thing. The purge line was clear but the car started getting overly hot. I let set until it was cold. I turned the heat to max and then I removed the reservoir cap and started my car. I let it run until it got almost to running temp and then put the cap back on. If I remember correctly, I could see the air bubbles escaping. This resolved my problem. This may not be the correct way of doing it but it worked for me. Good luck.

John F is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI

I appreciate the input however low coolant level and air doesn't seem to be the problem. The other night it got hot again to the point I had to pull over (was on the highway) and let it cool. Lots of noise from the heating core and....not a drop of heat from the vents even with the heat on. Common sense is telling me the problem is in the heating core but still don't understand why that would cause the engine to overheat. Going to have the entire system flushed - maybe that will work. If I'm looking at a core replacement how big of a job is it? Thanks.

cjcarlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS 1SE

Just my two cents worth, overheating engine and NO heat from HVAC is classic symptom of low coolant level or air trapped in system.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

it's popcorn time

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by John F
    Lots of noise from the heating core and....not a drop of heat from the vents even with the heat on.
    The noise you are hearing is air in the cooling system. Again, check your purge line. If it's clogged, the system won't be able to purge itself of air, and the engine WILL overheat.

Don't get a flush. It's unnecessary unless someone's poured some kind of stop leak product into the system.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

So, did you fix your "air-lock" problem .? .? .
    cause your thermostat does not like to function
    with an 'air pocket' around it - as the coolant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.