Weird problem - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Weird problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Sorry for hi-jacking a thread .Iwill start a new one next time. Norm...
    stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Re: Weird problem

Sorry for hi-jacking a thread .Iwill start a new one next time.
    Norm

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Well my problem still persists. I have an appointment next Monday at the dealer. Hopefully they can figure it out without emptying my bank account

Don

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Not to be nasty, but by now have you spent enough time (at whatever dollar-amount you rate your time worth) and money on parts (sounds like a bunch) for it to have been worth a trip to your dealer to get the codes read in the first place?

I'm the type that once they started putting plastic covers over the engines said "enough already" and paid to get it done. Not that I didn't know then (I took the cylinder head off a straight-6 - decoked it - and it started first time) but I sure know now that if I can afford a Caddy, I can afford to get it fixed by folks that have all the diagnostic and restorative tools...
    TulsaVic likes this.

Went to the dealer today. They said they scanned it and found nothing that would cause this problem. So I would assume that it isn't an electrical issue. They said the first step for them was to check the fuel pressure. My car should be 60 psi. They found 42-45 psi. Diagnosis tree says to change the fuel pump. So I ordered one from Rock Auto and will install when it arrives. I will update when it is in. I will see this thread through to the end. To help anyone in the future that may have this same issue

Don

Fuel pump did not fix the issue. Going back tomorrow for more diagnosis

Don

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

that suck's how much did they charge for your visit???

$125 for diagnostics. I paid $220 for fuel pump and installed myself. Problem is now more pronounced since the engine is getting full fuel pressure. The dealer has the car and will do more diagnostics tomorrow. I told them to drive it before working on it as the problem is worse on a cold engine. I feel it is a transmission issue. I guess we will see tomorrow.

Don

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    I paid $220 for fuel pump and installed myself.

Don
    Isn't the fuel pump located inside a gas tank? So you first emptied the tank and removed it from your Caddy. I guess you had to purchase a fuel pump removal kit, removed the fuel pump, cleaned the tank from debris, and then installed a new fuel pump. So how long did it take for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by jazoo View Post
    Isn't the fuel pump located inside a gas tank? So you first emptied the tank and removed it from your Caddy. I guess you had to purchase a fuel pump removal kit, removed the fuel pump, cleaned the tank from debris, and then installed a new fuel pump. So how long did it take for this project?
    In the trunk is an access panel. It is under the trunk carpet. Remove the panel and you will see the fuel pump. Unplug the two electrical connectors and the one fuel line. Remove the hold down ring and remove the pump. I replaced the entire "capsule". So the install took about an hour to an hour 15. Not hard at all and don't have to remove or empty the tank. I took the old pump capsule and figured I would remove the pump from it. Just to see how difficult it would be had I opted to just replace the pump. Glad I bought the capsule. Removing that pump wasn't easy and I broke stuff along the way.

Don

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Don,

You are my hero!!! I love your persistent and I hope your perseverance is paid off to your satisfaction soon. One would think that the Cadillac dealership should be able to get to the bottom of the problem and fix your vehicle. One could ONLY hope for a satisfactory solution from the manufacturer's authorized representative.

Well I think we got somewhere today. They did more diagnostics and hooked it up to the machine. Found a consistent misfire on cylinder 8. Mechanic installed a known good used coil and the misfire went away. Told me to drive it for a week and let him know. The charged me $155 for diagnostics. Did not charge me for the coil. I told the mechanic that if the problem stays away I will buy a new coil and return the used coil back to him. So far so good. Drove the car three times and felt nothing. But the real test is in the morning when the engine is cold. That is when it is always present. But I feel good about it this time

Don

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Didn't you already try new coils?

----------

Never mind seen you just tried #4.

No I only replaced coil number 4 due to it looking rusty. I had planned on moving the new coil around from cylinder to cylinder but didn't do it. I assumed that a coil misfire would set a CEL. I guess I should have done that.

Don

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Hope u got it.

So I drove the car today and it seems to be almost corrected. The tech told me that he saw a severe misfire on cylinder 8 and a really slight misfire on cylinder 1. So he put the used coil in number 8 and it made the issue go away. He didn't address number 1. So I bought two coils today through Amazon. When they get here I will change out 8 and 1. That should get me to perfect again.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.