Weird problem - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Weird problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well the culprit for my issue may have been a bad tank of gas. But I will not know for ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Weird problem

Well the culprit for my issue may have been a bad tank of gas. But I will not know for sure until tomorrow morning. I get a call from my wife this afternoon telling me that my daughters car is broke down at college. I told her to call AAA and have it towed home I will look at it after work. So I get home and the car will run with throttle input but will not idle. I cleaned the throttle body and it wanted to run. So I cleaned it up pristine and put five gallons of fresh premium in it and it is running great now. By the way my daughter fuels up at the same station that I do. I also put a bottle of gas additive in both of our cars. I fueled up with a fresh tank of premium. So hopefully all is well now. And since I already bought the replacement coil I will be changing out the rusty one just for piece of mind.

Don

Well bad diagnosis on the bad gas. It is still doing what it is doing. But a new MAP sensor arrived today and I installed it. Just idling in the driveway it feels okay. But I will find out on the drive to work tomorrow if it remedied the issue. I will update tomorrow

Don

MAP sensor did not fix the issue. Neither did changing out the rusty coil. So now I am going to remove the intake manifold again. I am going to replace the plenum, which does seem okay, and the intake gaskets. While the intake is off I will be giving the throttle body a hospital cleaning. There is also a wire harness that runs under the intake that the wire loom is all destroyed. I will be inspecting the wires closely, repairing if needed, and relooming the harness. Hopefully one of these will repair this issue

Don

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    A little more info. I drove the car to the store and the engine got fully up to temperature. Once up to temp the problem seems to go away. That is what lead me to believe it may be a cracked spark plug. But when I pulled out the plugs none of the insulators had cracks.

Don
    I would say that it's the throttle position sensor. It happened to me once in my Buick. I was wondering how much would it cost to get the diagnostic check (with the OBD) by your local reputable auto repair shop especially when you are not getting code.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    AutoZone will pull codes for free.

He said he has no codes.

I have a code reader but if the CEL isn't illuminated nothing will come up. I know that the Tech 2 can diagnose the sensors by checking their operation. But I am trying to avoid the $115 per hour charge my local dealer charges. But if it ends up being the TPS I think I have to go to the dealer. Not sure if the adjustment is a DIY thing. Can anyone tell me if it is doable?

Don

----------

Just checked my DVD service manual and it seems that there isn't a TPS. Instead there is a TPPS (throttle pedal position sensor). Is this accurate? I think the entire throttle pedal gets changed when replacing it. There is a relearn procedure for this that doesn't require a scan tool

Don

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    I have a code reader but if the CEL isn't illuminated nothing will come up. I know that the Tech 2 can diagnose the sensors by checking their operation. But I am trying to avoid the $115 per hour charge my local dealer charges. But if it ends up being the TPS I think I have to go to the dealer. Not sure if the adjustment is a DIY thing. Can anyone tell me if it is doable?

Don

----------

Just checked my DVD service manual and it seems that there isn't a TPS. Instead there is a TPPS (throttle pedal position sensor). Is this accurate? I think the entire throttle pedal gets changed when replacing it. There is a relearn procedure for this that doesn't require a scan tool

Don
    Don... That is correct.
    There are two potentiometers/rheostats, that have to match when you move the accelerator pedal.
    Typically if either one of them mess up, the car will go into a Fail Safe / Reduced Power mode and you can't drive over about 15 mph.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

hey i got the same issue with my 07 some where just a mark or so from the cold to normal temp mine acts up while coasting to a stop engine surges amost to 500 rpms then stalls or redeems it self changed gaskets ,,,plenum,throttle body gasket ,temp switch no luck either good luck we might have to resort to man

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Don

Have you check the IAC counts ,throttle angle and MAP voltage and compared them Hot and cold.
    Can you post them or PM me. You may have other problems.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by danog View Post
    Don

Have you check the IAC counts ,throttle angle and MAP voltage and compared them Hot and cold.
    Can you post them or PM me. You may have other problems.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------
    I know my scanner has live data but not sure to what extent. I will see what I can come up with and let you know. One thing I discovered is when I floor the accelerator it has a big gulp sound and then revs up. Seems a bit strange. I am still thinking I have a vacuum issue. But I will be the first to say that since cars became technical I am not very good at diagnosis

Don

So I hooked up my scanner and all of what you were looking for aren't options. TPS gives me a % mot an angle. At idle the % is 18.0 + or - 0.5. What did catch my attention was the ignition advance. This may be normal but doesn't seem right to me. At idle it is darting around at a rapid rate. High and low seem to be from 19 to 4. When I give it any throttle at all it goes up to 35.0 and higher. It is also very difficult to give this car minimal throttle. Idle speed is around 750. Trying to raise the RPM to 900 or 1,000 is nearly impossible. Even the slightest throttle brings the RPM up to 1,200 or so. Oh not sure that I mentioned this but as soon as the RPM is raised my issue goes away completely. I am still thinking I have a vacuum leak somewhere but if you have a different idea please let me know

Don

bjm6887 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac dts performance

I'm having the same issues, see my thread p0300, I'm a mechanic and it has me stumped. sure feels electrical in nature, comes and goes, runs ok on highway, warmed up at idle starts chugging and flagging various lights. stuck valves seems odd, I run good gas and did fuel flush, made no diff. going to pull off intake and check for carbon build up, probably change crank sensor while in there. I know suppose to resync cam and crank sensors, also read about ecm reflash to address various issues. I think sticking valves were more problems on older nstar

Quote Originally Posted by bjm6887 View Post
    I'm having the same issues, see my thread p0300, I'm a mechanic and it has me stumped. sure feels electrical in nature, comes and goes, runs ok on highway, warmed up at idle starts chugging and flagging various lights. stuck valves seems odd, I run good gas and did fuel flush, made no diff. going to pull off intake and check for carbon build up, probably change crank sensor while in there. I know suppose to resync cam and crank sensors, also read about ecm reflash to address various issues. I think sticking valves were more problems on older nstar
    At least you get a code. I wish I would get a code to at least point me in a direction. I do not believe I am having valves sticking.

Don

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bjm6887 View Post
    At least you get a code. I wish I would get a code to at least point me in a direction. I do not believe I am having valves sticking.

Don

----------

Okay I have a question. There is a wiring harness that runs under the intake manifold that I think is for the knock sensors and cam sensor. The wire loom is disintegrated on the harness. Just wondering if this can be related. Would a faulty cam sensor or knock sensor cause the issue I am having? Knowing the loom is gone it may not be a bad sensor but bad wire.

Don

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Don...
    If something is wrong with the knock sensor or wiring going to it... it will make your timing jump around and not be what it is supposed to be.

Well this morning I decided that when I remove the intake manifold I am replacing everything under there. So my plan is this.

Replace plenum boot and intake manifold gaskets
    Replace crankshaft position sensor
    Replace knock sensors
    Replace wiring harness that feeds CPS, CKPS, Knock sensors
    Remove and clean EGR valve
    When intake is off clean throttle body to "lick it" clean

Hopefully one of these will repair the issue. All totaled there is about $240 in parts. Is there anything else that I should do while the intake is off? I do not want to have to remove the intake manifold again so I am trying to cover everything.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.