Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Replace with KYB Shocks ?

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  stormnn 
#1 ·
I am to replace the shocks on my DTS 06 with KYB air shocks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-SR1002-Rear-Shock-Absorber-/310444853954?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADTS&hash=item4847f48ac2&vxp=mtr

I found them cheeper and I know they have decent reputation. They perfectly fit the DTS as I checked the KYB Catalog :
http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

The catalog provides the following part description:

Reae Shock Absorber: (Exc. Electronic Susp.); w/ FE1 (Soft Ride Suspension) (Exc. Limo, Hearse, Armoured Body); Box contains two Air Shocks; Recommended OE Replacement

I am not quite sure of what Exc. Electronic Suspension means. And my bigger concern is whether I will face problems of any kind if I install them? Coz these are "air-shocks" and seem to be less high-tech.

Thanks
Idris

See less See more
#2 ·
The electronic ride is what people call sport suspencion it is very easy to find out if you have the electronic instead of the regular take a look at the top of the rear shock or the struck if a they have a electric plug coming out of it them. You have electronic ride not the air line connection a electrical one.

#8 ·
MoistCabbage is talking to hisself.
Appears there's been some fermentation.

Your handling will be sloppier with the back end moving more. Is it a question of money, or do you want a softer riding car?

I believe you can replace the MRC shocks one at a time, instead of in pairs as with normal shocks.

#9 ·
ral1960 said:
MoistCabbage is talking to hisself.
Appears there's been some fermentation.
I was questioning my original answer.

Your handling will be sloppier with the back end moving more. Is it a question of money, or do you want a softer riding car?
He'll still have the stiffer FE3 springs. Ride will be very similar unless he drives very aggressively.

I believe you can replace the MRC shocks one at a time, instead of in pairs as with normal shocks.
Incorrect.

#11 · (Edited)
He'll still have the stiffer FE3 springs. Ride will be very similar unless he drives very aggressively.
Why else would he buy a Performance model {which he should have told us in the original post}? (but perhaps he didn't choose it).

I thought I read here that the springs rates were the same for all non-commercial DTSs. Will he want firmer springs with softer shocks, or is it only a small difference?

I assume that automatic level control works independently from the MRC.

#10 ·
Actually, can the MRC option be disabled with a Tech II in the '06+ cars?

No

Its on the High Speed Lan. The ECM,TCM,BCM will be looking for its ID code. If the BCM doesn’t recive the code {ID} of the MRRTD it will tell the ECM to have the IPC display MAXIMUM SPEED 80mph.

You can put in Base struts and us resistors to keep it from setting codes.

#12 ·
danog said:
can put in Base struts and us resistors to keep it from setting codes.
Resistors can be used in the older F45 (CVRSS), but not the F55 (MagnaRide) cars. You sure you can use resistors for the '06+ MRC cars? What value?

----------

ral1960 said:
Why else would he buy a Performance model
Most people who drive performance models (of any car), don't use them to their full potential. I highly doubt he's driving the car close to its handling limits.

I thought I read here that the springs rates were the same for all non-commercial DTSs. Will he want firmer springs with softer shocks, or is it only a small difference?
FE3 includes different dampers, springs, and sway bars.

Not a big enough difference to have to worry about swapping springs.

I assume that automatic level control works independently from the MRC.
Correct.

#13 ·
Most people who drive performance models (of any car), don't use them to their full potential. I highly doubt he's driving the car close to its handling limits.
My base DeVille would hold the road better than the seat would hold me, but the DTS will take turns confidently at speeds I would not have dared with it. I hope the OP won't learn the hard way that there is a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.