Detailing DTS with 3M Paint Restoration System
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 6 Post By billdaman
  • 1 Post By Atavar
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Detailing DTS with 3M Paint Restoration System in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As a result of repeated Northeast US Brush Car washes I decided to purchase a Orbital Polisher and the 3M ...
    billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Detailing DTS with 3M Paint Restoration System

As a result of repeated Northeast US Brush Car washes I decided to purchase a Orbital Polisher and the 3M Paint Restoration System. This kit allows you to attack scratches without resorting to spot compound applications. The 6" Orbital Platinum Polisher I purchased is a Harbor Freight $70 Chinese knockoff of the Porter Cable PC-7424XP.

Even in the hands of an inexperienced user using this polisher with this 3M kit it is simply impossible to damage the finish. ( guess you could drop the polisher on the paint!) I have seen videos of someone using the PC-7424XP polisher with the highest abrasive that Maguires makes in one spot on a new Corvette with speed set at 6 and pressed on the hood high pressure and he shows that you cant burn the paint. This has to do with the clutch used in this type of polisher and the orbital or random fashion that the polishing head oscillates.

So I tackled using the entire 3M Kit. The stuff works great. The pads are high quality, the 3 steps are the same a professional would use, and it was very easy, and although I made a few mistakes (like pressing the speed button in the wrong direction and spraying my tool box with wax) the job turned out better than any detail shop has ever done for me. I will do the same on my other vehicles.

Heres the Kit:

and the Polisher:

1/2 hour of fun prepping the trim, sunroof, windshield, and backlight. It all paid off. When I completed the waxing (step 3) It took 5 minutes total to pull the paper and tape. I didn't spend a minute on cleaning restorer, polish or wax from anywhere it didn't belong (another element of the perfect job!)

Paper is cheap, I spent 3$ total on tape

Got the wife to help with steps 2 and 3. Total time to complete the job 3.5 hours. Total cost for EVERYTHING including the Polisher was $88 (Bought the 3M kit from Amazon and used a $15 rebate)

It got dark buy the time I pulled it out of the garage but the results were perfect.

URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/billdaman/media/image6-Copy_zpsbcad7d21.jpeg.html][/URL]

Simple work for anyone anal enough to do it yourself. The included instructions calls out all the steps. A perfect Sunday afternoon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Looks good. And that beats a 150$ buff job any day!

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Re: Detailing DTS with 3M Paint Restoration System

When you get to middle age, you'll really appreciate a $150 buff job.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    I'm more mechanical. I don't have a lot of patience anyway lol so I don't even have to be middle aged lol

BlueAngel#07 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    I would have shot a pigeon out of frustration just taping it up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    When you get to middle age, you'll really appreciate a $150 buff job.
    and that $150 never covers TRIM!

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Don't make me explain my dirty joke!

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    Don't make me explain my dirty joke!
    I thought I was helping!

cadillac_guy21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Dts

that's very nice,

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

The car is . . Now . . to shiny for the dull aluminum wheels

Who's put Titanium wheels on this car? Ive never seen one yet, but clearily thats the only way to go if you are spending the dollars upgrading right?

just an update - My baby DTS is sitting in the garage gathering dust! Hate to have it this way but at 8 years old and 52K miles all of its life in the northeast and not a spot of rust on its bottom I cant bare to drive it in the winter. Been driving a volt the whole time since the DTS got put up and I'm really craving some time behind the "Northstar"! BTW I have only visited a gas station 2 times since October 2013 and I drive 10 - 30 miles every day!

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by billdaman View Post
    Who's put Titanium wheels on this car? Ive never seen one yet, but clearily thats the only way to go if you are spending the dollars upgrading right?

just an update - My baby DTS is sitting in the garage gathering dust! Hate to have it this way but at 8 years old and 52K miles all of its life in the northeast and not a spot of rust on its bottom I cant bare to drive it in the winter. Been driving a volt the whole time since the DTS got put up and I'm really craving some time behind the "Northstar"!
    BTW I have only visited a gas station 2 times since October 2013 and I drive 10 - 30 miles every day!
    Note: For those driving "Garage Queens"

10 to 30 miles is hardly enough time to get the engine and exhaust system "heat soaked" to evaporate condensation from the system.

Also, Today our fuel is hygroscopic.
    So, a fuel additive, like Sta-Bil or equivalent is imperative for vehicles that are seldom used.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

I also have one of these HF polishers. the only issue I have had is that the threaded hole the handle screws in to is soft pot metal. Be prepared to put a helicoil in that. Other than that the polisher is an amazing value.

One hint for people doing this, *especially* on a black car. Drape the power cord for the polisher over your shoulder. Do *NOT* let the power cord touch the car. The combination of the rubber cord and the abrasive compound will make extremely annoying flaws in the finished job. You won't see them unless you are in strong sunlight, but then drag marks from the cord will show up. Don't ask me how i know.
    Superjim likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.