Fuel range dumb question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By TulsaVic
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Fuel range dumb question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have read and re- read the manual but must be missing something. After gassing up I zeroed all the ...
    07dtscaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Luxury III

Fuel range dumb question

I have read and re- read the manual but must be missing something. After gassing up I zeroed all the trip info and whatever else would zero but now I see the fuel range not counting down but it's counting up. I tried but it does not seem to be able to zero. What did I miss doing? I just bought this used 2007 DTS yesterday and am 62 so bear with me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Re: Fuel range dumb question

When your tank is full, the fuel range is higher. It estimates miles to empty.

From what I could tell on my DeVille, the fuel range (which was always visible) was a product of the mpg average and the number of gallons it calculates in the tank, so it could actually increase a bit temporarily when instantaneous mpg was higher. If you reset the average to zero, I think it used the previous one for a while. I think it recalculates averages when you start the car. I noticed my average would often drop from where it had been before I shut off the engine previously.

----------

When it estimates the fuel range is down to about 40 miles, it will start with the low fuel messages and beeps.

The gas gauges on both my DeVille and DTS don't move much at first. When it shows half a tank left, it's actually less--closer to a third. It moves faster from half a tank downward. This is reflected in the fuel range, too.

I tried to reset all the gas figures but maybe I missed the fuel range one. After driving 40 miles the fuel range never went down. I tried to just reset it without resetting the other's but it would not reset to zero. My last car that had that feature (not a caddy) the fuel distance reset itself when you zeroed out everything and the fuel distance would count down from that.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue....you can't reset the fuel range. It's based on the amount of fuel in the gas tank and the last average fuel consumption. It will obviously go up when you add gas (since you now have more fuel to burn) and it will increase when your average mpg increases (like after driving mostly city and then getting on the highway). Think about it: Setting fuel range to zero would mean you wouldn't be able to get out of the garage....

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ^^This^^

My previous non caddy car's fuel range started at like 360 miles. 12 gal tank x 30mpg=360 fuel range. As I drove each mile the fuel range went down. I zeroed out the caddy trip A + B and whatever else would reset and the fuel range started at like 350 and has been counting upwards every mile I drive so far.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

What is your AVERAGE MPG right now ??

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by 07dtscaddy View Post
    My previous non caddy car's fuel range started at like 360 miles. 12 gal tank x 30mpg=360 fuel range. As I drove each mile the fuel range went down. I zeroed out the caddy trip A + B and whatever else would reset and the fuel range started at like 350 and has been counting upwards every mile I drive so far.
    If what ever you are reading is counting upwards, THAT sounds like your trip odometer, not your fuel range. As I said, the fuel range is based on the amount of fuel in your tank and your last average mpg. Each time you fill up with gas, the fuel range will go up. Think about it for just a second. How can the number of miles you can drive, i.e. your fuel range, increase when you are using fuel and have fewer gallons of fuel in your tank??

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaVic View Post
    How can the number of miles you can drive, i.e. your fuel range, increase when you are using fuel and have fewer gallons of fuel in your tank??
    Today I went to visit my in-laws, who live 150 km away (100 miles). Therefore a 300 km round-trip. At the outset, my Fuel range was 423 kms, having recently gassed up. As it was all highway, my Fuel Range steadily climbed because my mileage which normally is around 18 around town was now 30 - 33 mpg. The highest I got was after 200 kms: I had a Fuel Range reading of 508 kms, thereafter it started to go down again.

When I got home my Fuel Range read 441 kms, i.e. 18 kms (12 miles) higher than when I set out. Yet I burned 7 gallons of fuel.

The OP needs to drive for a couple of weeks, have the computer learn his driving style and environment, and then report back on the types of Fuel Range he is getting after that settling-in period. Right now it is based on the previous owner's driving.

I so far am seeing the DIC read that I am getting about 20.9 mpg. I have only had this car a day or so and I will wait and see if anything changes as I have a trip coming very shortly.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Fuel range and average fuel mileage change up and down as driving conditions change the fuel mileage - the most accurate long-term mileage average will come after a long Interstate run - NY to FL. Otherwise, it constantly changes, and the longer you let the average - average - accumulate data points the more accurate it will be for your average driving conditions.

Look at it this way - You fill up and reset the fuel calculations to 000. You immediately get on the Interstate and drive a half hour at 65 - the average mileage clicks up to, say, 26 mpg. You get off at your exit and immediately get stuck in stopped traffic - for a half hour. Your gas mileage is 0 mpg, but your average mileage for the last hour is ...... 13 mpg. Range will also follow those conditions - what's your range at 0 mpg ???

Right now I dont know what the mpg is since this is the first tank. This weekend I am taking a 300 mile trip so I will know more about the mpg. It show's an average of 15mpg but that varies while driving and I have driven about 75 miles so far. The previous owner sledom zeroed out trip b. Trip A was like a normal reading of 300 some miles but trip b was like 5412 miles. My last new car I guess assumed from the get go an average mileage rating. From day one the fuel range counted down and I never saw it climb up. I can see that this car needs to learn a few things (and me too)about mileage before it will settle down.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Read the owner's manual about how to play with the DIC controls. Too bad that GM deleted your ability to access the car's code reader system from those same DIC control buttons .......... I think that went away in 2004 ???

After a 600 mile round trip the fuel range worked like it was stated. Of couse I didn't let it get down to 0 but it did give me a fuel range that wasn't always stuck around one number like when I first posted this question. So all I really needed to do was wait until I drove around for awhile. Case closed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.