Alignment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Alignment in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was told that there are two kinds of alignment specs: (1) within intolerance and (2) factory recommended. I am ...
    CaddyMAK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS 2006

Alignment

I was told that there are two kinds of alignment specs: (1) within intolerance and (2) factory recommended. I am assuming that the factory are specific. Is this the case? What are the exact factory specs regarding alignment on our car? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tightwad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 1977 Seville

Re: Alignment

The FSM will give a preferred setting for each angle, toe, camber and caster, and then a range, usually about one degree either way, that is acceptable. A good tech will set to the preferred spec. Some will just get it in the range and let it go. Some places charge for a full alignment and give a half-ass check of the toe and run you out the door.
    A car that is in the "acceptable range" can still have problems. If caster is +1 degree on one side and -1 degree on the other, you can have a very slight pull that is hard to fix if you keep taking it to the same lazy shop.
    A really good tech will know what works and doesn't work on different cars. First time I took my El Camino to my front end guy, he asked if I wanted to throw in a couple of degrees of extra caster to make it track better. That was almost twenty years ago. I'm just afraid he's going to retire soon.

CaddyMAK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS 2006

Thanks for the info, tightwad. I have the PDF manual I got off of ebay, which one of the guys on this forum suggested to all. I could not find the preferred settings. I'm bringing her back in tomorrow morning to the same place I bought my new tires (about 1-2 months ago). They forgot to reset the TPMS and I asked the manager about the alignment. He said they would set it to the factory settings. Hopefully that was a true statement. Right now she's within allegedly specs:
    Front Camber: L 0.0 R 0.1
    Front Caster: L 5.5 R 5.3
    Front Toe: L 0.10 R 0.10
    Rear camber: L -0.2 R -0.4
    Rear toe: L 0.05 R 0.03

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

This bulletin is being issued to revise the Wheel Alignment Specifications in the Wheel
    Alignment sub-section of the Service Manual. Please replace the current information in
    the Service Manual with the following information.

The following information has been updated within SI. If you are using a paper version
    of this Service Manual, please make a reference to this bulletin on the affected page.

Suspension

fE1,FE3,FE7

Front Camber -0.00° ±0.75

Front Camber Cross Tolerance ±0.75°

Front Caster 5.80° ±0.75

Front Caster Cross Tolerance ±0.75°

Front Total Toe 0.20° ±0.20°

Steering wheel Angle 0.00° ±3.50°

Thrust Angle --

Rear Camber -0.05°±0.75°

Rear Total Toe 0.10° ±0.20°

Rear Thrust Angle 0.00° ±0.20°

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

°oo
    jj

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.