Navigation unit - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Navigation unit in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Went to the dealership this morning to get the programming done. They said they tried everything but couldn't get it ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Navigation unit

Went to the dealership this morning to get the programming done. They said they tried everything but couldn't get it to work. I did notice that the AUX button is no longer there and the unit didn't turn off with the key any longer so I at least know that they went in. So now I guess I have to try and return this unit and find another one.

Phigment
    I hooked up the wiring as you described. Do you think that if one of my connections is not solid it could cause the programming issue? I am thinking no as it seems that that shouldn't stop the entire stereo from programming. I would think that it would just cause the navigation to not operate fully. What do you think?

Don

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

did your dealer know that they were programming a nav unit on a car that did not have nav from the factory?

there's a reason why these kinds of mods aren't easy and it's because there's no documented 'official' way to do it

and even if you did tell your dealer did they tell the tech? ... and even if they did know and try to program it as if it had nav from the factory there still could be something on the install side you missed
    and how would you know you missed something?
    you wouldn't because there's no upgrade path to follow (again officially)

also the nav unit itself might have some internal fault? only way to know for sure is to send it off to one of GM's ESCs (and if it's a Denso unit you might still be out of luck because most of those get fixed in japan)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

The connections you made are for the vss wire and the mic+/-. Even without those, you should still have working sound after the programming. Its "possible" that the tech tried to flash your nav with non-nav software since your car didn't come with nav. They allow the tech2 to pull the VIN, which as far as GM is concerned didn't come with nav. We had to program mine like 6 times, because I didn't have my Nav part#. We manually put in a Vin for a 2009 DTS that came factory with nav. We got the VIN off of ebay. Had to manually put it into the tech2. Now I don't know if all of this is required to program the nav unit. I don't personally own a tech2($$) otherwise I would be much more familiar with it. Here is a VIN for a 2010 DTS with Nav "1G6KP5E9XAU117378". If you can get your tech to deal with you for just a few minutes more you might get this working. Unless your unit truly does have internal problems. Good luck.

I think I will stop back in on Monday and talk to them. I will print out this thread and see if they can reproduce what you said. I think I was told that the Tech 2 pulled my VIN and that is as far as they went. Now it makes sense why they couldn't get it to work. As far as the service manager told me is that there isn't a way to trick the Tech 2 into a different VIN. But obviously there is a way. Thanks and I will see how this works out

Don

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts
    Good luck Don.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Don

For many 2008 and prior model year GM vehicles, the programming is performed using the Tech 2
    and the activation is initiated by a Service Programming System (SPS) application at GM Global Connect..
    Tell the tech when he logs into TIS to tell it he is programing a new nav radio that way it will let him put in a VIN in.
    If he says reprogram it will uses the cars VIN. Ask them if they can read the radio rpo code.

I sent you the pin outs of the plug connectors for the navs. The DTS has 3 and the SRX has 4. The 2 first connectors
    are the same but 3 and 4 are not. Plug 3 is for the rear DVD on the SRX and 4 some of the pins line up??.That may be your
    problem. You would be better off returning it and get the one for the DTS.

Went to the dealer today to talk this thing over. I spoke to a tech and he said that I should bring the car tomorrow. He will call Cadillac and have them add the nav software to my VIN. So this way all of the modules will play nice together. I guess if that doesn't work out I will tell him to do a different VIN. If anyone has the procedure for this, or can point me to a site that does have it, I would appreciate it. I want to go there tomorrow armed with some ammo.

Don

That sounds like the way to do it. If GM/Cadillac won't do it then you're pretty much out of luck. You'll probably play though.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Latest update. Went to the dealer today and the tech was confident he would get the unit programmed. Only 15 minutes in I get called to talk to him. Seems that there is no way that he can program the radio. Even though the radio has a part number of 25848914 on it the tech pulled part number 25761186 out of the unit. He stated that this is a foreign unit. That would explain the weird radio stations and no XM. So back it goes to the seller. Hoping a full refund is in my future. On a hunt for another nav unit. Got my eyes on a few from eBay. Hopefully one of these works out better.

Don

Found another Nav unit. This one is used and is part number 25815693 which is supposed to be an exact radio for my car. So I am hoping that all goes well with this one Here is the listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/390579100790...84.m1497.l2649. Please let me know if there is anything on there that would sound not good. But I think it all sounds good

Don

Received the new (used) unit this afternoon. Hooked it up and all I see is Theftlock. How much of a problem for me is this?

Don

Gotta take it to a dealer to fix the theft lock

they will need proof of purchase (usually) to make sure it wasn't stolen
    best to just call around and they will tell you what you need

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Go to the dealer and have them unlock it with the tech2. (The vin of the radio doesn’t match the cars vin) They may or may not have to program it to get sound.

Going to the dealer for 1:00 tomorrow. Fingers crossed this will all be resolved tomorrow and have a working nav in the car

Don

SUCCESS. Went to the dealer this afternoon and the unit is working perfectly. I was there about an hour and one of the service reps called me and said that the tech needed to talk to me. First thing I thought was bad news. He took me to my car and showed me that all was working but it was throwing a code for a faulty VSS. So when I got it home I removed the dashpad and rewired the VSS wire. After that the nav is working as it should. Funny thing is that the tech did not have to fool the Tech II with a false VIN. All was done with my own VIN. So no problem there. The nav unit I bought had a disc in it. It was version 3.0. I had bought version 6.0c. The 3.0 had a digital clock, the 6.0c does not. So that is not acceptable to me. So now I am on the hunt for disc version 7.0 at an affordable price. I read that 7.0 has the clock option. But anyway I am pleased that this ordeal is over and I an happy that it came out how I wanted it to

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.