Parking assist problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Parking assist problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 08 DTS just started having a problem with the front parking sensors. They have started alarming when I am ...
    jalexand61 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUXIII - 2006 SRX AWD

Parking assist problem

My 08 DTS just started having a problem with the front parking sensors. They have started alarming when I am driving the car and nothing is in front of me. The beep alarm sounds and the dash
    light flashes (all the lights flash). To stop it I have to turn the front park assist to off. However, the front parking assist comes back on each time the car is restarted. It does not happen all the
    time, but enough to make me nuts. I took the car in to a dealer and they said that the cars computer is not recording any fault with the front sensors. Then they advised that it appears the bumper
    cover has been repainted and showed me where some clear had "pooled" at the bottom of each sensor and said this could cause the faulty signal. Then they quoted me a small fortune to replace
    the sensors. I have owner the car three years and it never did this before recently.

If the clear is causing the problem, which I question since it did not do it before, anyone know a safe way to remove the pooled clearcoat from the sensors without damaging them?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Re: Parking assist problem

If it just started doing it after you have owned the car for three years... it is VERY unlikely that the clear is causing it.
    Next time it happens... while it is flashing, push the OnStar button and they can read the code remotely...
    Then you can tell the dealer what code it is.

If you do not have OnStar....If at all possible, try to take it to the dealer when the lights are flashing.

It sounds to me like the tech at the dealer did not know how to use the TECH ll properly.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

Check that the senors are all out proud with the bumper cover. Someone in a park lot may have touched your bumper & pushed one in a bit. Then they do strange things. Happened to me. With a long screw driver I was able to get down behind the grill & pop it back out.
    Norm

They are all in their proper postions. I read on another thread about a software reprogram for this problem, but it stated that it only applied to 2009 forward. Actually, I had the system checked by the local chevy dealer (no Cadillac dealer locally) and maybe they didn't know how to properly check them? But they said that all the gm cars were the same system?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by jalexand61 View Post
    They are all in their proper postions. I read on another thread about a software reprogram for this problem, but it stated that it only applied to 2009 forward. Actually, I had the system checked by the local chevy dealer (no Cadillac dealer locally) and maybe they didn't know how to properly check them? But they said that all the gm cars were the same system?
    Do you happen to have a Buick dealer close by??
    The Buick Lucerne is a lot closer to the DTS than the Chevy's are.

Well, actually the Chevy dealer is also a Buick dealer.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

#PIC5171A: Front Parking Assist False Detections Or Parking Assist Turns Off - intermittent - (Oct 8, 2010)
    Subject: Front Parking Assist False Detections Or Parking Assist Turns Off
    Models: 2006-2011 Cadillac DTS w/ RPO UFR

This PI was superseded to update model years and procedures. Please discard PIC5171.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
    Condition/Concern:A customer may comment the LEDs located in the front parking assist indicator will illuminate suggesting there is an object in front of the vehicle when there is not. In addition, it is very likely that the PARK ASSIST OFF message is displayed in the DIC on some occasions and the customer cannot turn the system back on. Review of the Park Assist History Data with the Tech 2 will indicate “Hitch/ Obj Attach” as the reason in some or all of the disable records. The cause may be front license plate.
    Recommendation/Instructions:
    • Scan all modules for DTC. Record any DTC found and clear them.
    • Review the park assist disable history stored in the vehicle. If the disable reason shows “Hitch/ Obj Attach” continue to step 3
    • Inspect the front of the vehicle for any of the following conditions and repair any discrepancies found. If none are found continue to step 4.
      • Improperly installed or crooked sensor
      • Silicone isolator ring surrounding sensor may be missing, cut, and or twisted
      • The sensor may be scratched or paint chipped
      • Excessive paint thickness on sensor after sensor replacement
      • Aftermarket bumpers
      • Hitches
      • Aftermarket license plate bracket.
      • Improper license plate bracket mounting.
      • Bent license plate (even a small deflection can cause this).
      • License plate frame installed. Important: The vehicle may need to be driven to remove the "Park Assist Off" message in the DIC and to clear the Park Assist Disable 1 History.
    • Drive the vehicle and attempt to reproduce the customer concern. If the concern can be reproduced, isolate the cause further by removing the license plate and mounting bracket one at a time a driving the vehicle to see when the concern can no longer be reproduced.
    Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.