cleaning chrome plated cadillac rims - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, cleaning chrome plated cadillac rims in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Steel wool on chrome . . ~ the outward appearance may not look scratched . . but, under a scope, ...
    Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Re: cleaning chrome plated cadillac rims

Steel wool on chrome . . ~ the outward appearance may not look scratched . .
    but, under a scope, the surface would appear to have tiny micro-fissures in it, not visible to the naked eye.
    Today, there are many great products on the market that are water/alcohol based,
    requiring less of the
    wax-on wax-off ~ motion.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    On chrome wheels I use eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner & a soft brush...been doing so for years without any issues

johnnie1974 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1977 seville,2003 dhs,2009dts

ive used never dull to it works really good i wax my rims after that and they look brand new .

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by AElayyat View Post
    On chrome wheels I use eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner & a soft brush...been doing so for years without any issues
    +1. Eagle 1 works great, just too bad I have to drive to the US to get it. Afterwards: Mothers Chrome Polish followed by a coat of Mothers "Step 3" Carnauba Wax.

When I bought my winter wheels I was advised strongly by Tire Rack to keep away from Chrome and ended up with the shiniest Aluminum that I could find. I give them the Eagle 1, Mothers "Step 2" polish and "Step 3 Wax" (like the rest of the car) and will again in 10 days before they come off and go into 7-month storage.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you insist on using metal wool on chrome wheels - go to the hardware store or a West Marine and get 0000 bronze wool. Bronze is softer than chromium so it won't scratch, and any metal residue left in the wheel openings or brake parts will not rust.

Bronze wool is used extensively in the marine business - wouldn't want nasty rust spots weeping through your 4 coats of Interlux Yacht White topside paint or the railings covered with Z-Spar Captain's Varnish. ...........
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.