Ecm? Whats wrong Ẅith my 2006 dts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Ecm? Whats wrong Ẅith my 2006 dts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2006 dts and have for the second time had a problem with getting it started. The first ...
    balln843 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

Angry Ecm? Whats wrong Ẅith my 2006 dts

I have a 2006 dts and have for the second time had a problem with getting it started. The first time it happened I turned the ignition to crank it and all my dashboard warning lights came on and stayed on (traction control, check engine, abs) and car would not attempt to crank. I also noticed gear indication light was not on and I couldnt move the gear shift at all. I also notice fuel gage wasn't working either. I knew it wasn't the battery cause everything was working as far as power. I troubleshot for 3 days by disconnecting battery for 30min ,checking fuse and relays etc. I thought water may have gotten somewhere or something . Well I got it towed after 4 days of trying to get it to crank. I tried cranking it before we put it on the wrecker , nothing happened. They got it to the a little shop around the corner and tried cranking it and cranked right up on the first try and every try after that. The mechanic said he couldn't fix what wasn't broke. I left it there an extra day to see if it would crank and it did. They ran a diagnostic on it and there were no current codes but a previous history of no communications ECM and I think TCM. I drove it for 2months no problem but now yesterday it doing the same thing.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Re: Ecm? Whats wrong Ẅith my 2006 dts

Check all ..... ALL , your ground connections. Remove, clean, reinstall.

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by balln843 View Post
    I have a 2006 dts and have for the second time had a problem with getting it started. The first time it happened I turned the ignition to crank it and all my dashboard warning lights came on and stayed on (traction control, check engine, abs) and car would not attempt to crank. I also noticed gear indication light was not on and I couldnt move the gear shift at all. I also notice fuel gage wasn't working either. I knew it wasn't the battery cause everything was working as far as power. I troubleshot for 3 days by disconnecting battery for 30min ,checking fuse and relays etc. I thought water may have gotten somewhere or something . Well I got it towed after 4 days of trying to get it to crank. I tried cranking it before we put it on the wrecker , nothing happened. They got it to the a little shop around the corner and tried cranking it and cranked right up on the first try and every try after that. The mechanic said he couldn't fix what wasn't broke. I left it there an extra day to see if it would crank and it did. They ran a diagnostic on it and there were no current codes but a previous history of no communications ECM and I think TCM. I drove it for 2months no problem but now yesterday it doing the same thing.
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!
    Check battery for dead cell. My battery went out last year. It would go from a full charge to dead in a 5 minute drive to the store. (This actually happened, battery just came off the charger, was "full" then drove a few miles and went to the store, minutes later completely dead!) Changed battery, problem went away.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

billdaman is probably right. The battery you bought should still be under warranty, demand a new one and let's hope that is the problem.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Yup, do a battery Load Test.
    What Bill said is correct.
    Voltage is not always a good indicator of battery condition.

Also, even if the battery was good, the connections to the Body and/or Engine may be compromised.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

One ground to be sure to check is where the battery cable connects to the floor of the car.
    Take that one loose from the floor.. use sandpaper to remove a little bit of the paint on the floor of the car, so that it will have a good connection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.