What model year to buy - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, What model year to buy in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The LuxIII has the rear sunshade but you are right, if you tint you probably don't need it. Try to ...
    StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Re: What model year to buy

The LuxIII has the rear sunshade but you are right, if you tint you probably don't need it. Try to get the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)-this is the single best feature on my car, imho. I also love the NavDVD. The fact that it plays Dvd-Audio is a great plus as I have a bunch of those. This is so far and away the best Caddy and best car I've ever owned. It's sad to say I'll never be able to get the same options on a newer version.

Basco is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What is adaptive cruise control? What years was this available on?

It's radar that tells the distance between your car and the car or object in front of you. You tell the car what speed to cruise at and it will speed up or slow own to maintain that speed and distance from the car in front of you. It will bring the car to a complete stop if necessary. It's amazing, especially for long trips on super highways where you pretty much know you can float in the fast lane. I use it all the time, even at speeds below 30. It is a different front logo as the rear of the logo is the radar unit.

Basco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    That sounds awesome... What type of logo is on the front? What does it look like?

Here's a horrible photo.
    Attached Images
    Gomaz and Gomaz like this.

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

The grille is gray plastic instead of chrome (which would interfere with the radar) or body color.

GREEN DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS LUXURY 3 2006 LIGHT GREEN/ 2014 Artic White SRX Prem

I have a 2006 DTS Lux III with 62000 miles. I had to replace the tires. Other than tires, a wrench hasn't been raised in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The DTS is a totally different model, it doesn't stand for Deville Touring Sedan like it did in '03.
    Yeah, except for the engines, transmissions, and most of the unibody, they're totally different cars. At least the power window mechanisms are new and improved.

One thing in the XTS press release in June that made me snicker was the touted "reduced sensitivity to tire/wheel imbalance."

I drove a 2010 DTS Platinum today. If I'd driven one like it in January instead of a base DTS, I wouldn't have bought an STS in February, because it really put it in the shade. The seat cushion did hit me in the thigh after 10 minutes or so, but that can be fixed. If it weren't black inside, I'd probably trade and blow my budget.

mikectm2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS

ral1960 , i (test) drove a 2010 DTS today. At the glendora, california chevrolet dealer. And Liked It. i found this Cadillac Forum, to do my homework, and decide if i'm gonna get a DTS.

1 Is a DTS 'superior' (luxury wise ) to a STS ?

2 how do the STS and DTS's driver seats compare ? Which is softer/more substantial ?

I think i gotta get to CArmax and drive them both now

Vitaqueen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood brougham, 01 Seville, 06 dts

Red face Re: What model year to buy

A couple of things I really love are the cooled and massaging seats. That's neat!

Quote Originally Posted by mikectm2 View Post
    ral1960 , i (test) drove a 2010 DTS today. At the glendora, california chevrolet dealer. And Liked It. i found this Cadillac Forum, to do my homework, and decide if i'm gonna get a DTS.
    1 Is a DTS 'superior' (luxury wise ) to a STS ?
    2 how do the STS and DTS's driver seats compare ? Which is softer/more substantial ?
    I think i gotta get to CArmax and drive them both now
    The STS has a much stiffer ride, as I discovered too late, and the seats are firmer but fit me better (but I am oddly shaped). If you like driving fast on twisty roads, get the STS for its RWD or a DTS Performance (1SE option package) model (combined with the Platinum edition in 2010-12), which has Magnetic Ride Control shocks and lower gearing. The DTS has a much larger turning radius (despite a shorter wheelbase) and is almost a foot longer, so be sure it fits your driveway/garage.

The STS is noticably narrower inside with significantly less rear and trunk room. I had to find one without a sunroof to fit without scraping the ceiling (couldn't find a late-model RWD V8 without one). I'm annoyed that the trunklid doesn't pop up by itself like my DeVille's did and DTS's do.

One thing I discovered: if a DTS has wood on the steering wheel, then it's all real wood veneer encased in plastic. If not, it's all plastic. All wood in an STS is real, but some have none.

I heartily recommend the cooled seats. I would not buy leather seats without them. In the DTS, you can heat the seatback without cooking your butt, which is nice.

Here's the link to the 2011 online ordering guide. Some of the options were dropped or repackaged by then, but it's largely the same in earlier years (except for the V8 STS, which was dropped). I imagine this data will disappear when the 2014 model year info is posted, so get 'em while they're hot.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...011&regionID=1

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    The STS has a much stiffer ride, as I discovered too late, and the seats are firmer but fit me better (but I am oddly shaped). If you like driving fast on twisty roads, get the STS for its RWD or a DTS Performance (1SE option package) model (combined with the Platinum edition in 2010-12), which has Magnetic Ride Control shocks and lower gearing. The DTS has a much larger turning radius (despite a shorter wheelbase) and is almost a foot longer, so be sure it fits your driveway/garage.

The STS is noticably narrower inside with significantly less rear and trunk room. I had to find one without a sunroof to fit without scraping the ceiling (couldn't find a late-model RWD V8 without one). I'm annoyed that the trunklid doesn't pop up by itself like my DeVille's did and DTS's do.

One thing I discovered: if a DTS has wood on the steering wheel, then it's all real wood veneer encased in plastic. If not, it's all plastic. All wood in an STS is real, but some have none.

I heartily recommend the cooled seats. I would not buy leather seats without them. In the DTS, you can heat the seatback without cooking your butt, which is nice.

Here's the link to the 2011 online ordering guide. Some of the options were dropped or repackaged by then, but it's largely the same in earlier years (except for the V8 STS, which was dropped). I imagine this data will disappear when the 2014 model year info is posted, so get 'em while they're hot.

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...r=2011ŽionID=1
    I have an 05 STS V8 AWD...and I remember getting a DTS loaner once at the dealer a few years ago

they are totally different driving cars and I agree with you...if you like spirited driving then the STS is the more the car for you

did they ever put a more advanced transmission in the DTS?

That DTS loaner I had still had the old 4 speed..it reminded me of cars from the 90's

I remember thinking my STS was behind the times with a 5 speed trans...when much of the competition had 6-7 speed trans for ability to pull off the line quickly as well as adequate higher gears for cruising

Warren

The DTS kept the 4 speed, but the Performance model has a significantly lower (higher numerical) final drive ratio and an engine that makes more power at higher revs, so the feel is very different from regular DTSs.

My STS has the 6 speed, and I find it increasingly annoying. It's always shifting until it gets in too high a gear (the sport mode is slightly better) and you're trying to accelerate or even maintain speed at 1200 rpms. When it's cold, the early shifts are so slow, the car loses momentum and you lurch forward in the seat. The 2 older 5 spd STSs I drove were much smoother. I really should have the dealer check mine out--it's still under warranty.

I wasn't aware of what gear I was in with my DeVille and never cared. It was quite lazy--until you stepped on it.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I've been doing some research on the 06-08 DTS, I like the center consule with gear selector feature, from what I have found it looks like it is standard,with
    the bench seat being an option, am I right?.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I've been doing some research on the 06-08 DTS, I like the center consule with gear selector feature, from what I have found it looks like it is standard,with the bench seat being an option, am I right?.
    Yes...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.