Interior gas smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Interior gas smell in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, I just bought my 09 DTS a month ago. What a sweet ride. One issue however, there is a ...
    Duke004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Caddilac DTS

Interior gas smell

Hello, I just bought my 09 DTS a month ago. What a sweet ride. One issue however, there is a gas fumes smell inside the car when the engine is running. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to stop it? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Is it a heavy exhaust smell, or does it actually smell like raw fuel?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Interior gas smell

Duke004, please let me know if you would like any assistance working with your dealer towards a resolution. Customer Service is always happy to step in and schedule an appointment or contact them to follow up on your behalf. I'm available via email at Kaite_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Moist, it is definitely exhaust fumes.

----------

Katie, thanks for the response. Customer service is my next step.

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

If it is exhaust fumes... there is a leak in the pipe SOMEWHERE....

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Speaking as a former firefighter / hazmat technician who has been involved with several Carbon Monoxide fatalities over the decades, this is not something you schedule an appointment for some time next week. Do it NOW, bro!

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Duke004 View Post
    Hello, I just bought my 09 DTS a month ago. What a sweet ride. One issue however, there is a gas fumes smell inside the car when the engine is running. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable. Any ideas why or suggestions on how to stop it? Thanks.
    As mentioned above by MoistCabbage, do you smell gas (smells like when you are around a gas station) and not gases from the hot exhaust? The smell could be due to a leak from the fuel injection line or maybe from the evaporative-emissions system. Check your exhaust system for any leaks as the gases can enter the passenger’s cabin. Also, check if you smell gas in the engine compartment with engine running. You said, “it is not unbearable but it is noticeable” but my immediate thought is that it is very dangerous. I would recommend taking your Caddy to a local mechanic and get it checked out and/or repaired ASAP.

I appreciate all your responses. To the mechanic I go.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

If you cannot find any fuel leaks, then try to pull your cabin air filter and give it a sniff.

Since you just bought this, it is possible that a tech accidentally got a few drops
    of fuel or some other type of petroleum distillate type of cleaner on the cabin filter.

Hey, a least he didn't get limburger cheese on it

Ok, since I post this in the spring there was no hurry to get it checked. We had a few cool nights recently and I used the heat and the exhaust smell was still there. I even noticed it when the a/c was on and I was stopped at a light and it was humid. So I had it checked today......nothing found, at a reputable dealer. A check of the exhaust system showed everything was fine. I'm at a loss now.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

I had the same issue in my 2008 DTS a couple weeks ago. It turned out that a jar of KimChi in my groceries had leaked a few drops. Luckily the rubber floor mat contained it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke004 View Post
    Ok, since I post this in the spring there was no hurry to get it checked. We had a few cool nights recently and I used the heat and the exhaust smell was still there. I even noticed it when the a/c was on and I was stopped at a light and it was humid. So I had it checked today......nothing found, at a reputable dealer. A check of the exhaust system showed everything was fine. I'm at a loss now.
    Hello Duke004,

I apologize that you are still experiencing the exhaust smell in your DTS. Did the dealership not find anything wrong? Or were they not able to duplicate the concern? If you would like to further discuss this concern, please feel free to private message me or send me an email at socialmedia@gm.com. When you send your email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Well, took it to the dealer and he checked the exhaust system and said no leaks. I said it has a gas smell! $75 and no answer. Now what?

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

Did you remove and inspect the Cabin Filter?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.