Storing car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Superjim
  • 2 Post By ogbuehi
  • 2 Post By Asguard726
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Storing car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'll be storing my car for the next 6 months possibly up to a year. Any tidbits or advice? Thanks....
    ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Storing car

I'll be storing my car for the next 6 months possibly up to a year. Any tidbits or advice? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

Re: Storing car

I've been storing cars since 1996.

You need to change the oil and filter, fill up the tank with premium fuel only (to avoid ethanol gelling), use a fuel stabilizer and cover the vehicle.

I wash the vehicle before, inflate the tires to their maximum sidewall pressure, park the vehicle on Race Ramps Flat Stoppers and connect the battery to a Deltran Battery Tender Plus.

My Impala SS is kept in storage on two year cycles (the maximum Sta-Bil will maintain the gasoline). I then take it out for a week to show it and burn the tank dry so I can refill with fresh gas and place it back in storage. My DTS is currently in winter storage as it has been for every winter of its life. I've also stored my 1999 Tahoe and 1988 Caprice at different times for up to eight months.

I was thinking about putting the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots since I don't have access to a way inflate the tires at the storage facility. Will that be good?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

If I were to use jack stands... I would place them under the suspension so that the car is sitting like it would be if it was on the ground.

Reason being... I wouldn't want the weight of the tires/wheels and other components holding the shocks and struts fully extended for a long period of time.
    Andrew224 and Andrew224 like this.

I'll see if the jack stands will sit that low. The last time I let my car sit for 14 months, I did some of the above suggested. I actually just disconnected the battery completely. The one thing I noticed was that the fuel was gone from the lines and it took awhile of cranking for it to finally turn over. But surprisingly the battery didn't miss a beat after reconnecting it. I will look into the fuel preservatives as well.

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I was thinking about putting the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots since I don't have access to a way inflate the tires at the storage facility. Will that be good?
    I'd suggest eschewing the jack stands and use Race Ramps Flat Stoppers. Much less fussy than jack stands.

Well I did some looking and the only thing I could find closest to a fuel preservative was Seafoam. But after doing some reading, it appears to be more of a cleaner than a fuel preservative. Is there some brand I need to find? All the other items I saw related to fuel were more like performance additives rather than preserving.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yeah, don't pour that crap into your tank. Sta-bil is a good stabilizer. If you can't find it at a parts store, try a marine supply store.

Well this will be my last post here in the US. Hopefully both of my cars will start without a hitch when I get back in 6-12 months!!!
    Gomaz and Gomaz like this.

Asguard726 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Platinum
    Good luck and stay safe!
    Dan
    Gomaz and Gomaz like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.