2009 DTS Platinum edition
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2009 DTS Platinum edition in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a raven black 2009 dts plat edition with 16000 miles. I have some ...
    red hook tony is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 cadillac etc1996 buick roadmaster,1992 roadmaster, 1960

2009 DTS Platinum edition

Hi everyone, I am thinking of buying a raven black 2009 dts plat edition with 16000 miles. I have some questions, are there different levels of platinum, are these cars reliable, are there known defects, what are the pros and cons , are these cars engines the 292 h.p,do they have the same problems as the early N.S (head gaskets),do they still need premium gasoline, this car has the fine mesh grill, was that an option , is there any diferance between the early and late production, is there a major differewnce betheen the 09,10,11. is raven black a standard color and how is the paint quality on these cars, do these cars have any road noise issues, they dont get favorable ratings on performance and handling from cars.com or auto trader, which I take with a grain of salt .I think they dont like large cars. the asking price is 20,000 dollars. what would you say is the top 3 things outstanding about these cars. sorry for the long post thanks Tony also black leather interior.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: 2009 dts platinum edition

The Platinum is the top of the line.
    16,000 miles is REALLY LOw mileage for a 2009.
    The engine is the 292 HP.
    The owners manual says to use Premium.
    The fine mesh grill has been added.

I love the way my Performance Model runs, drives and rides.
    The Platinum Model replaced the Performance Model.

Texas Jim

Asguard726 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Platinum
    Hello,
    I purchased a 2009 Platinum edition in August 2012. It replaced a 2006 Lux III. Both were radiant silver the lux III had the standard
    grey leather. The Platinum has the upgraded ebony black leather. It's really, really, plush. To the point I'm almost afraid to sit on it..almost!
    I noticed right away the handling and suspension were different. Very much like the BMW 7 series. I have used the cheaper grade fuel from
    time to time. It runs well enough, but runs better on premium, gets better mileage on premium too. The interior of the platinum model is my
    favorite thing. It's just so nice. The wood trim is real wood and you can easily tell. The head liner is a suede-like material and is very nice, gets
    compliments from most passengers. There is hand stitching on the dash and door panels, ambient LED footwell lighting and of course the
    BOSE system sounds fabulous. I have also really enjoyed the Nav traffic function. I commute an hour each way to work everyday and it really
    comes in handy.
    I don't notice much road noise at all. You can do 40 or 100 mph without much difference. The only issue I've had was the Nav system going
    bad. It was replaced under warranty with only one visit to dealer.
    I've had no regrets, I test drove the new XTS and did not like it at all.

Good Luck,

Dan

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

Dan, is your car's ride that much firmer than a regular DTS, even in the Touring (softest) mode? I assumed the Platinum would be softer sprung, like the old Deville DHS model, but I guess not. I was hoping to find something more like the old Cadillac ride than my base Deville yet without sloppy handling--and get a younger V8 before they disappear.

What didn't you like about the XTS, other than the missing two cylinders?

The new head bolt design in 2003 seems to have alleviated the head gasket problem. I've got 125k on my 2004, and the only engine problems have been 2 bad sensors. It's had a small coolant leak for 5 years, so every few months it tells me to add a little more. Scared me at first, but it hasn't gotten worse.

The DTS Platinum MSRP was about $60k, but few paid anywhere near that price. I wouldn't want a black interior, even with the cooled seats.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The Platinum was the replacement for the Performance model. MRC and 18" rims are not the way to go if you're looking for "softly sprung". If you're comparing it to the Deville lineup, the Platinum would be closest to the (Deville) DTS. The DHS was no softer sprung than the base Deville, they shared the same suspension setup.

There was no "new head bolt design in 2003". In '00, changes were made to the block casting process, and a switch was made to longer bolts. In late '04, the bolts were changed to corse thread.

Big Caddy Kane is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Red Hook Tony, if it's the one on Autotrader with exactly 15,578 miles, that is NOT a Platinum. Live in FL too and been looking for one for months now (seems like years).

As far as the exterior is concerned, no wood grain steering, wrong kind of wood grain, no chrome 18" rims, no Platinum tag on the left side of the rear bumper (look closely it says V8/Northstar).

Seems the person just named the car a 'Platinum'. Not trying to rain on your parade. Just looking out.

Good luck on your search.

rebel7254 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Luxury III

I agree with Big Caddy Kane. If it's the one on AutoTrader (which it probably is given the custom grille), then that is most certainly NOT a real Platinum model. I seriously doubt you could find an actual 09 Platinum with that mileage at the 20k price point. And if you did, I would be EXTREMELY skeptical about the car's history.

Asguard726 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1960
    Dan, is your car's ride that much firmer than a regular DTS, even in the Touring (softest) mode? I assumed the Platinum would be softer sprung, like the old Deville DHS model, but I guess not. I was hoping to find something more like the old Cadillac ride than my base Deville yet without sloppy handling--and get a younger V8 before they disappear.

What didn't you like about the XTS, other than the missing two cylinders?

The new head bolt design in 2003 seems to have alleviated the head gasket problem. I've got 125k on my 2004, and the only engine problems have been 2 bad sensors. It's had a small coolant leak for 5 years, so every few months it tells me to add a little more. Scared me at first, but it hasn't gotten worse.

The DTS Platinum MSRP was about $60k, but few paid anywhere near that price. I wouldn't want a black interior, even with the cooled seats.
    ral1960,
    Yes to me it is much firmer than my 06 Lux III. But at the same time it's not at all harsh. I noticed the differences in handling right away. I don't know a lot
    of car "lingo" so please forgive what I'm about to say. You can drive the platinum down the boulevard and it is smooth and serene, or you can take a curvy
    up and down road at speed and never feel that sloshy I'm about to slide off the road feeling. If you get on the interstate on ramp and really need to move
    your "bum", it'll do that too, and you always feel in control. The dealer told me it had magnetic suspension that 'feels" the road and adapts to it and how you
    drive it. I would have to agree with that, though I don't think I'm explaining it correctly. I tend to like to put my foot down, there are several areas near me where
    the speed limit is 70 mph, but the traffic moves along at 80 mph or so. This is effortless for this car, and dare I say a pleasure for me!
    Before the 06, I had an 02 Seville STS and the ride in the Platinum DTS seems like a refinement to that. The XTS; well, where to begin. I've had one twice now
    as a loaner while my DTS was in for service. The cue system and changeable instrument panel are really, really cool. The steering felt ok, but the whole car
    seemed to have a different center of gravity to me. I kept feeling like I was up somehow, like in a jeep SUV or some such. And the car itself is tall too. It somehow
    feels more like the CTS which rides nothing like the devilles. I also feel like the interior is "cheap" feeling, more like a Chevy than a Cadillac. Also, trying to look
    backward over the trunk lid and seeing what's behind you is a real chore. This is where the back up camera is a must.

I hope some of this helps!
    Dan

red hook tony is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 cadillac etc1996 buick roadmaster,1992 roadmaster, 1960

Re: 2009 DTS Platinum edition

Thank YOU,BIG CADDY KANE, REBEL7254 for that timely info, saves Me a trip to north port fl. I thought it was too good to be true! It is people like You, that make this CADILLAC OWNERS .COM Forum to so valuable & to be a part of. And also ASGUARD 726, SUPER JIM,RAL 1960, and MOIST CABBAGE for all that great info. I will keep on looking, THANKS AGAIN, TONY.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by red hook tony View Post
    Hi everyone, ....................................... ..... the asking price is 20,000 dollars. what would you say is the top 3 things outstanding about these cars. sorry for the long post thanks Tony also black leather interior.
    I love my Caddy. $20k for 2009 with 16k miles seems to me a good price if being sold by a reputable dealership!

Top three (3) things outstanding for these cars, in my humble opinion, are: 1. Luxury, 2. Roominess, 3. Elegance

Akm20814 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS PLATINUM EDITION

I just bought a 2009 DTS Platinum Edition.
    I have posted pics, if anyone can see them.
    let me know wil be happy to email.
    DRIVERCOMPART.JPGREAR.JPG
    Gomaz and Gomaz like this.

Re: 2009 DTS Platinum edition-more pics

More pics of DTS 2009 Platinum EditionSBZA.JPGWHEEL.JPG

More pics of DTS 2009 Platinum EditionAttachment 103416Attachment 103417

Rantz_alot is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Very nice Cadillac! I hope you enjoy it, whats not to like

Noteworthy to you guys who are shopping for Platinum: in 2008/20009, Cadillac made a Platinum Edition option that was available on top of the Premium Luxury model. It is not the Platinum (Performance Edition) that followed. It is the traditional Cadillac luxury ride, the more softly sprung with the low-end torque 275HP Northstar. Both are super nice, just calling out this because it could be confusing if you find one and buy it thinking you are getting the performance engine and other items. Nonetheless, if you are looking for the traditional Cadillac ride there is nothing better that Cadillac offered for luxury than the 2008/2009 DTS Premium Luxury with Platinum Edition factory option (esp with Tahama and ACC). Happy shopping!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.