How to tell when bearings are starting to go out? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How to tell when bearings are starting to go out? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Each dealer is going to be different but probably all in the same ballpark. My '09 DTS just had both ...
    Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

Re: How to tell when bearings are starting to go out?

Each dealer is going to be different but probably all in the same ballpark. My '09 DTS just had both front bearings replaced under the powertrain warranty at 62k miles. The service manager told me that the dealership charges in the neighborhood of $650 per bearing ($1300 for both).

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew224 View Post
    Each dealer is going to be different but probably all in the same ballpark. My '09 DTS just had both front bearings replaced under the powertrain warranty at 62k miles. The service manager told me that the dealership charges in the neighborhood of $650 per bearing ($1300 for both).
    $1300 dollars is outrageous for replacing the front hubs and bearings.
    The hub and bearing is a little over 100 bucks each and with the right tools, you can replace it in an hour... EASY...
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I just had my rt. front replaced at a non dealer garage here in Leesburg with a Timken for $159.95 + tax. Took about 40 min. including the test drive. For another $79.95 they did both front brakes.
    Norm

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    $1300 dollars is outrageous for replacing the front hubs and bearings.
    The hub and bearing is a little over 100 bucks each and with the right tools, you can replace it in an hour... EASY...
    The question was how much does the dealership charge if you were paying out of pocket. Of course it's cheapest to do it yourself. Next cheapest is a small independent shop because they don't have the overhead that a dealer has.

I don't think it's outrageous to pay more to have the dealership perform the work. Many people find good value in having an authorized dealership / repair center perform the repairs.

big greg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts

The question was how much does the dealership charge if you were paying out of pocket. Of course it's cheapest to do it yourself. Next cheapest is a small independent shop because they don't have the overhead that a dealer has.

I don't think it's outrageous to pay more to have the dealership perform the work. Many people find good value in having an authorized dealership / repair center perform the repairs.
    But half the time the monkeys at dealerships are young kids getting paid 10$ an hour. So you never know

Dealer cost on the parts would be less than $300 bucks...
    So that means that you are willing to pay $1,000.00 dollars for AT MOST two hours work...
    Glad someone is willing to pay 'em $500 bucks an hour.... maybe that's what it takes for them to keep the doors open, I don't know.
    I won't be doing it...

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Dealer cost on the parts would be less than $300 bucks...
    So that means that you are willing to pay $1,000.00 dollars for AT MOST two hours work...
    Glad someone is willing to pay 'em $500 bucks an hour.... maybe that's what it takes for them to keep the doors open, I don't know.
    I won't be doing it...
    Most dealership labor rate are set by 1) dealer training standard 96% and above. 2) CSI score 98 and above. 3) B15 claims. 4) The labor rate of 4 dealers in the area.5) the dealer facility’s new or remodeled 6) If they charge the same labor rate for both warranty and cash

Dealers use the factory time for warranty work. For cash work they use Chilton’s and Motors or they take the factory time times 1.6. So ask what they go by or they can just make up a price for the job.

We mostly hire young one’s that the dealership sponsors through the ASAP (The GM Automotive Service Educational Program). They end up with an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Automotive Technology. They go to school 12 weeks and work at the dealership for 12 weeks. We pay them $16.00
    When thy work in the shop. After 2 years there fully GM trained and have all there ASE’S

sean007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS
    National Tire and Battery in Janesville, Wisconsin tried to tell me that my bearings were going out (while they were putting new tyres on my car)! They offered to put new ones in $390 per side.

I had them checked at the Dealer and they didn't need replacing! I have 154,000 on my '07 DTS!

ACVCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. Looks like this is going to be my first big expense for January 2014.. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by ACVCTS View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. Looks like this is going to be my first big expense for January 2014.. :-\
    They are not hard at all to replace your self... If you have basic tools...

starwood69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Just had to replace both sides on the front on my 07,it started with a noise that got louder everyday...once I found out it was the wheel hub bearings it was an easy fix.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

A good tech can change one in 20 mins.
    Norm

jsorrell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS Lux I in Gold Mist

I needed both mine replaced at 535XX miles. Driver was off 12 and Passenger 24 (or 25 can't remember) what ever that means but they said it was BAAADDDD. Selling dealer replaced under NYS Used car 60 day warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.