2006 DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Tried typing in this above and came up zero on search. Sigh, where to begin. Driving to work, the check ...
    Cadillac Shawn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS Northstar

2006 DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it.

Tried typing in this above and came up zero on search.

Sigh, where to begin. Driving to work, the check engine starts blinking. Sometimes it goes solid, but for a few seconds, then back to blinking.

Used computer at Advance Auto, says misfire in cylinder 4. Also says, 3 codes, 6 global. I need a 2006 Cadillac DTS firing order diagram. Car has a miss in cylinder 4. Don't know which module to replace. I'm PRAYING it's the front set! But like most of my life, I figure it's not and I'll spend all day on the driveway under the hood cussing and whining till it's done.

Codes say $43 $00 and P0A01 and P0137 Mod $00 low voltage. Not sure but one is an oxygen sensor located under the car behind the cadi converter. Has a wire going into it, not able to get the car high enough off the ground to trace the wire to where it goes or unplug it. May be corrosion but how do you get rid of that in a plug? I hear I can pull the sensor with a plug and clean it out with some cleaner and put it back and it should work but if its getting low voltage, I don't know where to start.

ABS says has codes. On dash it says, Stabilitrac needs servicing and Traction Control needs service.

Transmission code says, ''system disabled.'' Unplugged? Or disabled by a dealer to avoid me detecting a trans problem before purchase? So far, car's been a nightmare.

Bought it pre owned from dealer. Test drove car, it shook on the steering. They said flat tire spots. They put on four brand new pirellis. Looked like oil leak. They fixed power steering rack. Said oil was fixed. Car felt like Engine was shifting. Salesman blamed it on stabilitrac was what I was feeling. Said check it, turned out three of four engine mounts were broke. They fixed it. Bought the car. Five days later, back at dealer after getting a second opinion for $189 full car diagnosis somewhere else. Back rear disc brake leaking fluid from hose all over caliper and had a main engine oil seal leak. Went back to dealer, THANK JESUS CHRIST there was six days left on the original warranty. They pulled the motor out and trans, took block apart and put new seals on and put engine back in. Car's been running okay but didn't seem like typical Northstar power in my 82 year old Mother's 99 cadi. Car sputtered once every time I pulled out from a stop sign like it was a transmission slip or engine issue? Maybe cylinder 4? Who knows.

Code reader doesn't tell trans code because it said system disabled. Hoping the dealer didn't know of a prob and disconnected before selling it or turned the sensor off so it wouldn't pop up.

Hoping this will be the last of the problems with it. I had a 1990 Deville with 222k miles on it. Timing chain issue. Freewheel motor. Mechanic gave me a $6K price quote for used motor. Said it wasn't freewheel and would be too costly to fix. Didn't want to work on it I guess so I believed him and bought this used 2006. Now more problems. Deville is still sitting on driveway for six months having tried to sell on Craiglist and Ebay for $500 with a mint interior and dash. Exterior needs paint and new roof but no one seems to want. Getting ready to junk it. But yanking out interior to put on Ebay first. Also may yank bumpers hood and trunk to get more out of it.

Here's pics of motor pulled for the engine oil seal leak.

Anyway, I need the wiring diagram for this north star. 2006 DTS. Need to know from left passenger side going right, either firewall or radiator, which plug to pull the module from.

I'm VERY mechanically inclined so I can do the work. Below are a few examples. The most work I've ever done was on my Deville. Bearing hubs, shocks, you name it. I get a sense of enjoyment out of knowing I can do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

Re: 2006 Cadillac DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it.

Cylinder 4 would be the front bank of cylinders, second from left. Real easy to get to.

Odd number cylinders are along the firewall, from left to right, 1-3-5-7
    Even number cylinders are along the front, from left to right, 2-4-6-8

I just replaced an ignition coil on my number 1 cylinder. Car was running rough and the Stabilitrak warning light was turning on and the transmission would start shifting hard, of course along with the CEL for the misfire. The ignition coil replacement cleared all that up. It must be all inter-related somehow. I picked an AC Delco ignition coil up pretty cheap at RockAuto.com.

Youtube video covering how to get to the ignition coil if you need it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js5edkKUPDg

Once you get these issues addressed, you should have a pretty solid car as you've had a lot of the common major issues taken care of. Good luck!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: 2006 Cadillac DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it.

#1 is on passenger side rear bank.
    Firing order is... 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8

2-4-6-8 are on the front bank... closest to the radiator...

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-632

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3232479-firing_order

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=380

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Firing_dia..._v8_four_liter

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Re: 2006 DTS northstar firing order DIAGRAM.... need it.

Actually, I think I have a much worse problem now. I got under the hood today in 35 degrees and pulled the EGR valve assembly off the back, and pulled the back panel off, and pulled all four modules on the back AND front off, AND, changed the spark plugs.

Then I got this brilliant idea to switch some of the coil modules from the back to the front to see if it followed the module to another piston and it didn't. I started the car with all new platinum AC Delco plugs all gapped to .050 and it's not only still running rough, I used the computer reader on it again, shown here... http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH..._CODREA_01.JPG and again it said that the problem was with cylinder number 4 misfire. It could be a bad wire leading to the connector on 4 but knowing my luck, it's not. Knowing my luck it's an easy fix. Knowing my bad luck with everything I buy, it's a bad piston that I have to shell out several grand to fix.

It also now has another problem since I did it. It errorred air inj system, low pressure. I'm figuring the EGR valve I put back on the bracket after removing it to get to the plug modules didn't seal all that well and is now probably leaking. I'm fed up. And the stabilitrac warning is still there.

----------

And this would have helped me earlier today Superjim. I did the firing order diagram on Google and got nothing but people in forums saying 1-2-3-4 what have you. I needed the diagram like the link you posted here http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3232479-firing_order in order to avoid changing all my plugs and all the modules but because I didn't hear from anyone right away I just bit the bullet and bought all new plugs and put them in. Only problem is now, that the same piston is not firing and I changed the coil modules around. It's either a wire going to the module or a bad piston I'm going to guess.

Sorry to hear that it wasn't a quick fix. If it were me, at this point, I'd do a compression check on at least that #4 cylinder. If it checks out as being okay, you know it's an electrical problem you need to pin down.

I'd suggest you reseat that EGR valve and check to make that rubber line is secure up top.

I don't have anything to check the cylinder pressure with or know how to. If the cylinder has no pressure, what am I looking at to fix it? $4,000? If it's the wire, I also wouldn't know how to fix it. I'm not good on electrical. I can pull fuel injectors, radiators, I even have done water pumps but on old 1977 Oldmobile Cutlass vehicles with huge room to work. My 1999 Cadillac in the driveway is $110 in parts to fix it. But I gotta take off the water pump and timing chain gears. But then again, I would not know how to turn the crank to the proper position before putting a new chain and gears on. So that car's going to the junk yard if I can't find a buyer for it. I just don't want to find out I'm going to have to fork out another $4k on this car to fix a piston as I figure that means pulling the motor again and if so, for that kind of dough I could have bought the new Hyundai, or even a newer DTS with less mileage and obviously less problems.

Tomorrow I'm going to have to reseat the EGR valve. In fact, I'm going to leave it off the bracket. Cant see a reason to have it on the bracket. It don't move.

You can borrow a compression tester at AutoZone with their free loan a tool program they have. If not, they're like $40.

Take the coils off the spark plugs, loosen the spark plugs slightly (like 1/4 turn) (not absolutely necessary to do that but makes turning the engine over easier since it's not going to start, you won't be fighting the compression) then pull the spark plug to the cylinder you would like to test and thread in the compression tester. Turn the engine over a few times (like 3 times) and see what the reading is. It should be around 170 lbs but needs to be at least 150 lbs at the very minimum. If you can change the spark plugs, you can easily do this.

Low pressure would mean bad rings or valve issue. If you find it's not holding compression, post up and I'll tell you how to determine if it's the rings or a valve.

Shawn,
    My guess is it is just a wire... not a piston.
    A bad piston would be very unusual for a Northstar.
    A bad wire is much more likely.

Firstly thanks for all the insight and help in suggesting what I do. I have some knowledge of engines and how to trouble shoot but not a ton of it. I just have mechanical ability. My father was world war two navy machinist mate and taught me a lot about my Oldsmobile before he died shortly after my 16th birthday. But that little gave me the ability to believe if a man put it together, I can pull it apart and put it back together so I try and although I find myself cussing over the engine compartment for six hours changing my fuel injectors, the pride I get and bragging ability afterwards makes it worth while, not to mention the money I save on the repair bill.

I called my brother this morning. He's a big boater fanatic, twin mercruisers 500HPs' and learns from his boating friends. He suggested going to Advance Auto and borrowing the tool to check the compression. I'm going to do that today. If it's not that, I thought fuel injector but the guy at Advance said, ''nope, you'd get a code for that.'' So it's compression or wire. I'm HOPING, wire. If it is, I imagine I can get a new wiring harness I may be able to install myself. Didn't look at where it went last night in the dark to see where it goes or how hard it is to fish. But I'm out in the cold today to fix the EGR valve leak, then onto Advance Auto. Worse comes to worse, if it's the wiring, I'll have done a spark plug change at 89k miles and I would have done that anyway at 100K miles so it's good to get it done anyway.

I saw the interior of the motor when they pulled it out under warranty a week after I bought the car pre owned, used. It was passed the pre owned five years. But the motor was still under warranty for five more days. They pulled it and took the top block apart from the bottom. So I did get to see inside the motor and I have to admit, I was glad I could. It set my mind at ease that the motor had it's scheduled maintenance during it's pre owned days on lease at the Limo company in New York City. The inside of the motor was clean shiny metal with clean clear oil all over the place. Not one deposit of carbon or gunk. The old man that bought it through the dealer that purchased it at auction after the lease was over kept taking it for regular maintenance there for oil changes regularly and the worst thing replaced was a battery. Because it was the same dealer I bought it from they had all the man's service records. So I believe the car is a good car but I do have very bad luck in life about a lot of things I buy. I'm that ''black cloud'' guy. So I'm hoping wire. If not, it will prove my black cloud thingy.

Will let you know how the compression test comes out in a few hours.

Okay, I took off the plug today and bought a compression tool at Advance Auto. The guy told me to pull out the start up relay in the fuse box before I did it. I tested the cylinder and got 180lbs of compression. So the cylinder is good. I was told if the rings were going, there would not be any compression or it would leak out. It didn't. No blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe either. SO, all things lead to a bad wiring harness. I'm HOPING it's the small harness about 20 inches long on the front row that plugs in right there at the valve cover. If it's not, then that wire attached goes into the MAIN wiring harness and buying one, let along cost to put one in I can only imagine the cost. Main thing is, I got new plugs in and know the engine is good so that's a relief! Going to the dealer tomorrow to price the wiring harness. if too much, going to the junk yard first. THEN, heading over to the dealer if the harness don't work.

Question. Will the code dissolve when I connect a new harness? Or do I have to do some type of push this button with that button for five seconds then hold the third button down for 7 seconds and it will clear it out of the computer? Just curious...

If the stabilitrac / traction control warning goes away when the wiring harness goes in, then all that's left is the oxygen sensor past the cadi converter. I can't get to it and it says, LOW VOLTAGE.

Any idea what the transmission codes say, ''System Disabled'' means?

Hmm, guess everyone is sleepin today on their day off...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Shawn View Post
    Hmm, guess everyone is sleepin today on their day off...
    I was doing both... sleeping on my day off... LOL

I believe that the Transmission Control Mudule will disable Torque Converter lockup when it detects a misfiring cylinder.
    That may be what is causing the SYSTEM DISABLED message... but I am not 100 percent certain of that.

Off to the dealer 7 am to get a wiring harness that won't be in stock. Depending on price, will head to junk yard to find one if too pricey. Will report back if I find a harness and it works. IF it don't, then the main harness is messed probably when the put the motor back in when they fixed the main engine seal. Crossing fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Shawn View Post
    Off to the dealer 7 am to get a wiring harness that won't be in stock. Depending on price, will head to junk yard to find one if too pricey. Will report back if I find a harness and it works. IF it don't, then the main harness is messed probably when the put the motor back in when they fixed the main engine seal. Crossing fingers.
    Good luck to you...

Jim

Dealer want's $96 for the 20 inches of wire with the connectors. If you know of a cheaper place to buy it, let me know.

How does one check to see if the plug is firing? I hear you can pull the plug and check but how? I want to pull the plug and see if it's sparking. If it's not, I know it's the wire. Or a bad plug but what are the chances I'd buy 8 plugs and put the 1 faulty out of 8 into the 1 hole that's cylinder four out of 8? Pretty hard. So what next?

And yes, THREE junkyards did NOT have one single 2006 DTS. Drove around all day for it. Came up empty.

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.