Temperature gauge not working.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Temperature gauge not working. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Three days ago, while on my way to work, I noticed that my temp gauge read cold the entire way ...
    phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Temperature gauge not working.

Three days ago, while on my way to work, I noticed that my temp gauge read cold the entire way to work. The needle didn't move at all. When I left for lunch it worked fine and has worked perfectly until this morning. Again, on my way to work, the needle never moved reading flat cold the entire time. The heater blows hot air so the engine is getting warm. My fear is that without the correct temp registering, the fans will not engage and my engine might overheat. I cant let that happen. There has been no error messages on the DIC and the check engine light has not come on. My reflex is to replace the coolant temp sensor. Has anybody experienced this and if so did a new sensor fix the problem? Also, does anybody know the specific location of the temp sensor on this car? My thanks to the entire community.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Re: Temperature gauge not working.

I don't know the EXACT location of the sensor... but...
    I think the first thing I would do is check the wire connection "ON" the sensor... (after finding the sensor, of course)
    It may be slightly loose.. just enough to cause an intermittent connection.

Jim

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The coolant temp sensor is threaded into the rear (passenger side) of the right (firewall side) cylinder head. A bit of a PITA to reach.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Phigment, I understand if you're looking for DIY input from owners; I just wanted to let you know I'm available if you would like me to set up a dealer appointment for you. Email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com anytime for further assistance!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

CadillacDaveAZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Phigment, my 06 DTS was doing exactly the same thing... about a month ago every once in a while I would notice the temperature gauge was all the way cold, then the next day it would be right in the middle like it always is. One day I was driving and happened to catch the gauge going from cold to hot in a couple seconds. It went so fast that I thought it must be the temp sensor (but I was wrong).

I went and replaced the temperature sensor, which, as others have correctly noted, is a total PITA to reach. Mine is threaded into the driver side of the block by the rear left cylinder. Another user described it as being above where your right foot toes would be on the gas pedal, and that is pretty close. That is probably all irrelevant info however, because replacing the temp sensor did nothing. So, I replaced the thermostat and the temp gauge is working just fine now. Thermostat is less than 20 bucks and easy to do - the two bolts and hose are easily accessible.

danog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

coolant sensor.gif

coolant sensor IS #5

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    A faulty thermostat would not cause the gauge to stay at full cold.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

just what he said

trispeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

my coolant temp gauge stooped working, turns out some sort of animal had chewed through the wires near the temp sensor; bought a new wire and connector and I'm good to go. You might just check the connection at the block and the wire itself. You have to reach through the master cylinder area but it is reachable from the top. :-)

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Thought I would report back on this problem. I did replace the temp sensor and the problem has not returned. The wires did not "appear" to be damaged. Thanks all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.