2008 DTS - clunk sound at low speed (or turning steering wheel at stand still)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 DTS - clunk sound at low speed (or turning steering wheel at stand still) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2008 DTS with 72k miles. Recently I started hearing a light clunk noice coming from the from ...
    jpoborsky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS, 2000 Deville

2008 DTS - clunk sound at low speed (or turning steering wheel at stand still)

I have a 2008 DTS with 72k miles. Recently I started hearing a light clunk noice coming from the from end when turning the wheels. It seems to be be worse when backing up. I do not feel anything in the steering wheel while at standing or driving but can sure hear something when turning the wheel. My 2000 Deville did the same thing and no one could ever find the problem so I don't know if this is something specific to cadillacs or if there's a problem. Anyone have any suggestion or comments... trying to avoid going to the dealer cause Im tight on funds right now.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EugeneS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 2008

Re: 2008 DTS - clunk sound at low speed (or turning steering wheel at stand still)

Probably have the same issue with my 2008 dts. I think it is strut bearing damage. As i see this is the weak side of DTS.

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Re: 2008 DTS - clunk sound at low speed (or turning steering wheel at stand still)

For me it was a strut bearing. It would "pop" when turning the steering wheel. Its not a DIY job as those springs are dangerous.

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

I just chased down the same issue on my car (07' performance edition). Things to check are sway bar end links, sway bar frame bushings, strut bearing or the strut itself. Hopefully you don't have the MRC suspension like I do because if it turns out to be the strut like it was on mine be prepared to drop some $$.

Good luck-
    383 LT1 SS

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

If anyone has any issues with their bearings and decide to have the dealer look at it, please let us know what happens. You can reach Katie at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. Thanks everyone for the updating to your issues and I hope they are fixed quickly for you.

Matt (Assisting Katie)

Cadillac Customer Assistance

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

OMG Cadillac Customer service wants to know what happens!!!! OK I will tell you , if the vehicle is under Warranty the dealer fixes it, if not the customer pays. One thing is for sure, all DTS 2006 -2011 Strut bearings will fail prematurely. Just check your internal GM 2 year ICW numbers and verbatim's for the DTS Matt, see any kind of a spike related to Strut bearings? Can you help any of the customers who paid for the defect get reimbursed for this design flaw?

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

The strut bearings on my DTS... (both sides)... have also been replaced at about 80,000 miles.

HASSAN4477 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS PERFORMANCE
    Mine need replacing as we'll 06 performance 88k on it

fmcastro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Lux II, '11 CTS Lux

Did you replace the front struts? How much did you pay for the job? Thanks, Fred Castro, Jupiter, FL

HASSAN4477 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS PERFORMANCE
    Replace both of my struts found em on car-parts.com 150 a piece they came off of a 2011 v8 Lucerne that was wreck in a rear end collision only had 10,000 miles on it so parts were basically brand new. Paying 300 instead of 2 grand for the magnaride struts is a great deal for me lol two thumbs up

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Jpoborsky, sorry for my delayed input. This “light clunk noise coming from the front end when turning the wheels” is due to breakdown/failure of the strut bearings. You can verify it by jacking up the front ends and then turning the wheels from side-to-side. You can hear the thumping noise as you slowly turn the wheels. I have seen it before when I was living up north in the snow/salt country. This type of damage/failure of the strut bearings is due to exposure to the snow/salt/sand/grit. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with the design of the DTS. You just have to replace the strut bearings with the strut-mate strut mounting kits. For DIY’ers, you can get the kit for ~$50.00/each from Amazon. The strut-mate strut mounting kits can be installed by your local mechanic.

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by HASSAN4477 View Post
    Replace both of my struts found em on car-parts.com 150 a piece they came off of a 2011 v8 Lucerne that was wreck in a rear end collision only had 10,000 miles on it so parts were basically brand new. Paying 300 instead of 2 grand for the magnaride struts is a great deal for me lol two thumbs up
    You got a great deal on those struts. I had both of MRC struts replaced and with my discount I still paid over $800.00 for just the front struts.

383 LT1 SS

MW94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS LUX III, '12 Chrysler 300 Limited

How crucial is this part for operation? Like is it so crucial if it fails my entire car is unroadworthy? I have a '06 Lux III w/ 50K and it just started doing that, I don't want to pour money into it considering I just did the front bearings and brakes all around for it.

Seyahsed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS Lux iii & 2007 DTS Lux ii

My 2007 DTS was clearly making a clunk from the rear when I would turn at low speeds. I also noticed that my left front tire was wearing unevenly. My local mechanic put it on the lift and immediately saw the front and rear sway bar links/bushings were bad w/ too much play. Also found a bad tie rod on left front side. Replaced these items and I can't believe how much better the car handles. Mechanic said my links/bushings rusted badly. My car's original owner was in NY/NJ area so the winters there would promote premature rusting. Only 70k mi on my DTS, so these sway bar problems can creep up on you before the 100k mark.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by Seyahsed View Post
    My 2007 DTS was clearly making a clunk from the rear when I would turn at low speeds. I also noticed that my left front tire was wearing unevenly. My local mechanic put it on the lift and immediately saw the front and rear sway bar links/bushings were bad w/ too much play. Also found a bad tie rod on left front side. Replaced these items and I can't believe how much better the car handles. Mechanic said my links/bushings rusted badly. My car's original owner was in NY/NJ area so the winters there would promote premature rusting. Only 70k mi on my DTS, so these sway bar problems can creep up on you before the 100k mark.
    Ditto to that. During state inspection in Feb. they found the right outer tie rod end loose on my '08, replacing the rod end. Mileage at the time was just over 45K.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.