Headlight adjustment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Superjim
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Headlight adjustment in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I posted about people thinking I was Bright lighting them. Well I was. My wife followed me home ...
    lakebum1245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 & 2010

Headlight adjustment

Hey guys, I posted about people thinking I was Bright lighting them. Well I was. My wife followed me home this evening and I noticed that the passenger headlight was blinding me when I looked in the mirror. The lady I bought this 2010 from told me her fsther-in-law, who owned the car, had hit a mail box with it and it was repaired. Must have been a brick one. Anyway, guidance on adjusting this or should it go to the dealer. Many thanks, Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Headlight adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by lakebum1245 View Post
    Hey guys, I posted about people thinking I was Bright lighting them. Well I was. My wife followed me home this evening and I noticed that the passenger headlight was blinding me when I looked in the mirror. The lady I bought this 2010 from told me her fsther-in-law, who owned the car, had hit a mail box with it and it was repaired. Must have been a brick one. Anyway, guidance on adjusting this or should it go to the dealer. Many thanks, Steve
    Raise the hood and look at the top of the headlight...
    Raise up the little flap and use a loooonng phillips screwdriver to adjust it...
    Back it out of the garage... close the garage door... position the car a little less than one car length from the garage door.
    Put the lights on "DIM" with them shining on the garage door.
    Adjust that one till the light shines on the garage door like the other one does.

Here are a couple of pics of the little flap you raise to get to the adjustments.

danog is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1936 cadillac 05 deville 08 DTS

center line.giflight board.gif

Headlamp Aiming

1. The vehicle has a visual optical headlamp aiming system. The aim has been preset at the factory and should need no further adjustment.

If the vehicle is damaged in an accident, the headlamp aim may be affected and adjustment may be necessary.

Re-aim the headlamps as described in the following procedure.

2. The vehicle should be properly prepared as follows:

• The vehicle should be placed so the headlamps are 7.6 m (25 ft) from a light colored wall or other flat surface.

• The vehicle must have all 4 tires on a level surface which is level all the way to the wall or other flat surf

• The vehicle should be placed so it is perpendicular to the wall or other flat surface.

• The vehicle should not have any snow, ice, or mud on it.

• The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other work stopped while headlamp aiming is being performed.

• The vehicle should be normally loaded with a full tank of fuel and one person or 75 kg (160 lb) sitting on the drivers seat.

• he tires should be properly inflated.

• The spare tire is in its original location in the vehicle.

Headlamp aiming is done with the vehicles low-beam headlamps. The high-beam headlamps will be

correctly aimed if the low-beam headlamps are aimed properly. To adjust the vertical aim, do the following

1. Open the hood.

2. Find the center line running through the lens of the headlamp.

3. Measure the distance from the ground to the center line running through the lens of the headlamp. Record the distance.

4. At the wall or other flat surface, measure from the ground upward the recorded distance from step 5 and mark it.

5. Draw or tape a horizontal line the width of the vehicle at the wall or other flat surface where it was marked.

Caution: Do not cover a headlamp to improve beam cut-off when aiming. Covering a headlamp may cause excessive
    heat build-up which may cause damage to the headlamp.

6. Turn ON the low-beam headlamps and place a piece of cardboard or equivalent in front of the headlamp not being aimed.
    This should allow only the beam of light from the headlamp being aimed to be seen on the flat surface

7. Locate the vertical headlamp aiming screws, which are under the hood near each headlamp assembly.

The adjustment screw can be turned with a phillips screwdriver.

lakebum1245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 & 2010

Thanks for your input, this will let me put this problem to bed. As I looked in the recess for the adjustment screw I noticed the bucket mounting screw looked loose. Well, I'll just look at the other side to make sure...it had no bolt at all! Damn body men in too much of a hurry to do things right. Now I need to check out the whole front end for loose hardware. Thanks for the effort. Steve

Puckhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS

Hello, folks!

First of all, excellent thread!!

I've been wrestling with the HID headlight aiming dilemma since I got my '09 DTS (two months ago). Like the original poster, people tend to flash their brights at me. As a result, I had a dealer "check" my headlight aim. He parked my car approximately 10 feet from a brick wall, and he said the aim was fine (he based it on visual appearance, saying they do all their cars like that ... sigh).

So, feeling a bit discouraged, and having people still flash me, I tried the procedure outlined in my owner's manual (e.g., 25-foot distance, level ground, full tank of gas, person in driver's seat, etc.). Well, low and behold, my lights ARE aimed too high ... by about 2-1/2 inches!! So, I opened the little flaps under the hood (as shown in the above photos), and I couldn't locate any adjustment screws (my owner's manual says it's a 6mm hex nut, and not a Philips screw). All I could find is a 10mm hex bolt, which appears to hold part of the headlight housing assembly tight way down towards the bumper. For the heck of it, I tried loosening/tightening that bolt, but it didn't do anything for the aim.

That being said, does anyone have a photo or a diagram of where to exactly find the aiming screw (also, as from the above posts, some people say a long Philips screwdriver is needed, but I couldn't see any Philips screws, either)!!

HELP, PLEASE!!!

Here is a picture of an old headlight...
    The little white cup looking thing towards the top has the "PHILLIPS" screw in it that you use for adjusting the headlight.
    Your screwdriver needs to be kind of a skinny one...and about a foot long.
    It also needs to go in at a slight angle...
    Puckhead and Puckhead like this.

Puckhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS

Superjim ... you're a lifesaver!!

This is definitely the adjustment screw, and I discovered it by accident. How? I saw a whole bunch of debris (gravel and seeds) in these white, funnel-like cups. I'm so anal about keeping each and every crevice of my car clean, so I decided to slowly remove the junk. Then, to my surprise, I saw the hex outline take shape. Then, after a little detailing spray, a long shish-ka-bob skewer, and some waded up paper towels ... the Philips slot materialized! LOL

After that, it took me all but two minutes to adjust both headlights downward!

Thanks so very much, and have a very happy Holiday Season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    Superjim ... you're a lifesaver!!

This is definitely the adjustment screw, and I discovered it by accident. How? I saw a whole bunch of debris (gravel and seeds) in these white, funnel-like cups. I'm so anal about keeping each and every crevice of my car clean, so I decided to slowly remove the junk. Then, to my surprise, I saw the hex outline take shape. Then, after a little detailing spray, a long shish-ka-bob skewer, and some waded up paper towels ... the Philips slot materialized! LOL

After that, it took me all but two minutes to adjust both headlights downward!

Thanks so very much, and have a very happy Holiday Season!!
    No problem...
    Glad to be of help...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too.

Jim

boz
    boz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanky

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.