Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just a heads up to anyone getting ready to do this. I had the flickering light so I decided to ...
    Shym3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Re: Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare

Just a heads up to anyone getting ready to do this. I had the flickering light so I decided to buy the whole assy used on Ebay. I got one in mint condition for $200 changed it out with no problem and sold my old faded flickering one on Ebay for $120. The problem then was that the one I replaced look new and the other side was faded and worn so I bought another (Other side) one on Ebay for $160 that looks new. I then sold my faded one on Ebay for $190. My point is, If your going to do it you might as well go all out and do it right the first time. If you got a bad bulb, replace them both. Those little peanut bulbs go after a few years too.
    As far as the work itself, I never jacked the car up or took the wheels off. Just cut the wheels all the way to one side and you have plenty of room. Its really not hard at all, I thought it was going to be a monster but it really wasnt bad. Think of all the money your saving and it makes it easier. For me personally my total out of pocket expenses were about $50 and my car looks so much better. Its a 2006 that sits in the Florida sun allday and the lights were way faded. Now they look brand new. Ebay is the ticket, just be patient and you will find a great deal. I hope this helps someone, if not Im sorry for wasting your time. Peace

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Peace? I hope those poor souls you sold you're old crummy looking ones to, knew they were crummy. What goes around will eventually come around.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

CODTSGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS 06

Someone should have been fired for such a poor design flaw. Actually, I bet they have been by now and lost their pension by now!

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

An HID bulb I had installed a little over a year ago has now turned rose colour & will have to change again. I believe it was a Sylvania.
    Norm

redduck21502 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I truly wish i had not read this thread. I just bought an 07 DTS a couple months ago (low miles, 32000, and I thought the price was fair, $19,000). I love the car, it has been a real joy to drive and it is my favorite car that i have ever owned, even outshining my '00 Buick LeSabre, and my 1988 Sterling 825 SL (and I loved those cars). Now i read how long it will take to change a lightbulb or how much it will cost me at a dealership to rape me. Hopefully the previous owners didn't drive at night in their 32000 miles. Not looking forward to a bulb issue anytime soon. If they can recall cars to have things fixed that are poor manufacturing quality, they should have a recall available forever on something so poor as this headlamp issue. This car must be a Rube Goldberg machine, you know, where you take a very simple task and build a machine that turns it into a complex task.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Shym3 View Post
    Just a heads up to anyone getting ready to do this. I had the flickering light so I decided to buy the whole assy used on Ebay. I got one in mint condition for $200 changed it out with no problem and sold my old faded flickering one on Ebay for $120. The problem then was that the one I replaced look new and the other side was faded and worn so I bought another (Other side) one on Ebay for $160 that looks new. I then sold my faded one on Ebay for $190. My point is, If your going to do it you might as well go all out and do it right the first time. If you got a bad bulb, replace them both. Those little peanut bulbs go after a few years too.
    As far as the work itself, I never jacked the car up or took the wheels off. Just cut the wheels all the way to one side and you have plenty of room. Its really not hard at all, I thought it was going to be a monster but it really wasnt bad. Think of all the money your saving and it makes it easier. For me personally my total out of pocket expenses were about $50 and my car looks so much better. Its a 2006 that sits in the Florida sun allday and the lights were way faded. Now they look brand new. Ebay is the ticket, just be patient and you will find a great deal. I hope this helps someone, if not Im sorry for wasting your time. Peace
    or to be screwed over

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Caddy View Post
    Peace? I hope those poor souls you sold you're old crummy looking ones to, knew they were crummy. What goes around will eventually come around.
    Completely agree, that's what you get in the world today....someone scheming to pass their bad luck onto someone else...and then bragging about it. On my poorest day I would never rip off someone just to upgrade the silly lens on my headlamps. That's some value system. How about that integrity??

Sorry I know it sound harsh, but we all get what was meant, he is the smart guy the other buyers were suckers that footed the bill to update his old Cadillac.
    Tom's Caddy and jacklogan like this.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Well HIDs last much longer than halogen lamps do hour wise. They are much brighter and provide a more uniform light distribution than the halogen setups can.
    You can whine about needing to take the bumper off to change a headlight lamp but this isn't a new thing cars have been being built like this for a long time.

Part of it is a side effect of improving fit and finish of the car exteriors, part is improving the flow on the production line to eliminate steps during assembly, another part would be to bring some people back to the dealer to do maintenance on their cars.
    Also since the HIDs typically last so long usually if they fail they happen long after original owner no longer has the car or if they go out earlier they are covered under factory warranty typically as a defective lamp and the owner just has a dealer visit and its no big deal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can someone give me a list of all the bulbs I will need to do one side of the car? The amber on the driver's side is only about 1/3 as bright as the passenger side. Is there more than one amber bulb?
    I figure if I take the car apart I might as well change all bulbs on that side.
    Mark

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
    Can someone give me a list of all the bulbs I will need to do one side of the car? The amber on the driver's side is only about 1/3 as bright as the passenger side. Is there more than one amber bulb?
    I figure if I take the car apart I might as well change all bulbs on that side.
    Mark
    the bulbs and numbers are shown in the procedure on page 1

jimboom is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do you get inside the Headlamp assembly? Re: Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare

Advice needed ASAP! We are heading from Michigan down to GA this Thursday for 2 weeks & I have to get this fixed I am attempting to replace the headlight/blinker bulbs in my DTS I just purchased. It appears someone really hacked up the driver's side in the past. Only one of the tabs for the screws is still present. When I went
    to install the new bulb in the drivers side, the housing inside the assembly that the bulb goes into is really loose. I fear this will cause the bulb to fail again soon.
    The Torx screw heads are on the INSIDE facing the lens!?!?!?!!! I removed the HID control module from the bottom thinking I could get to them from there, but the
    opening is only large enough for the wires to run through. I have no idea how to separate the clear lens from the black plastic assembly. Is it glued? How do I tighten those screws, & WHY would any engineer ever design such a ridiculous set-up? My first experience with a Cadillac & so far I am not impressed. Are Lincolns designed this poorly?
    Someone drilled several holes through the lens all along the bottom, I assume to let water drain out. Doesn't show when the facia is installed so I had no idea. Is that a normal "fix" to alleviate the problem of moisture inside the lens? I sure hope not…

Thanks, Jim

Well I can tell you that vibrations don't really affect the lifespan of HIDs as much as they do for filament based lighting.
    Those torx screws are likely not meant to be adjusted after leaving the manufacturing plant, there are plenty of fasteners that aren't accessible after final assembly of lots of products.
    You can likely heat up the housing edges with a heat gun or an oven at around 250 degrees for 5-10 minutes to heat up the bonding agent to make it pliable again.
    I would say you aren't the victim of a "poor design" so much as a victim of a backyard mechanic / owner that thinks they know how to fix it.
    The drilling of those holes is not recommended nor is it common practice for anyone that understands how headlight housings are designed.
    Chances are high that the lamp was replaced at some point and the foam gasket wasn't seated properly causing water to leak in, someone had the "brilliant" idea of drilling holes in it to drain the water.
    Careful tipping of the housing would have allowed the water to be drained, the vents of the housing should have been checked to be clear, and the gaskets properly placed.

At this point you are going to have to buy a new housing that hasn't been man handled by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.
    From GM new is likely >$1k for this housing. eBay can be risky but you might get a good deal, a close visual inspection of a junkyard/salvage yard car might be the most profitable choice.

Thanks for replying so soon. Got it together & now neither the lo or hi-beam come on on the driver's side. Guess I am just going to have to get a new assembly. Is it usually the ballast? If so, is there a way to test it before buying a whole new assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboom View Post
    Thanks for replying so soon. Got it together & now neither the lo or hi-beam come on on the driver's side. Guess I am just going to have to get a new assembly. Is it usually the ballast? If so, is there a way to test it before buying a whole new assembly?
    The DTS uses a bi-Xeon HID setup. This means the single lamp does both low and high beams. There is a shield / shutter in the housing that flips down to give you the high beams. The life of the ballast and lamp are only rated for 2000 hours ... Now many many of them last for considerably longer than this. But if the previous owner drilled out the bottom of the housing to release water I would have to assume the ballast has failed due to being flooded in water.
    If you have the whole front end taken apart you can swap the ballast and / or the hid lamp from the passenger side to the driver side without causing any issues.

Make sure you do not touch the lamp at all as the oils from your skin will boil on the surface of the lamp causing premature failure. If you do touch it clean it with alcohol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My passenger side Hi-Beam appeared to have gone out, still worked on Lo-beam. I changed the passenger side since I had it all apart & now it works on hi & lo beam. Can only the hi-beam go out? Or may I have some other issue?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.