Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Shame there wasn't a better design for a problem that everybody will have eventually.I can see these cars getting junked ...
    cjmeyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare

Shame there wasn't a better design for a problem that everybody will have eventually.I can see these cars getting junked when they are 12 years old because the cost of fixing them is more than the car is worth

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Not EVERY Northstar will have HG issues, and there were changes made:

In '00, there were improvements made to the casting process, and longer head bolts were used. This significantly reduced the failure rate.

In LATE '04, a change was made to course thread head bolts, virtually eliminating the problem.

..... What does this have to do with headlights?

coolvt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

My DTS is still under warranty. Do you if light bulbs are covered under warranty?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvt View Post
    My DTS is still under warranty. Do you if light bulbs are covered under warranty?
    Not likely. It's a wear item. Dealer charge for HIDs are like $300 each. You can get a pair of D1S HID new in box that outperform oem lamps from www.theretrofitsource.com look for CBI or SVS lamps for the D1S base I want to say they are $200 for the pair. You should always replace them in pairs due to color shift and lumen loss as they age. Not to mention when one goes the other is likely right behind it. Also make sure the lamps are cleaned and have no contaminants on them such as oils from your body as that will boil on the lamp and shorten life / cause it to burst.

One could also argue that the ballasts should be replaced too as they are marked with a 2000 hour life as well. But in my experience they don't need to be replaced unless they fail to work.

cjcarlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS 1SE

Bulbs are covered under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Had a DRL bulb replaced and a few months later both headlamp assemblies under warranty.

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by cjcarlin View Post
    Bulbs are covered under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. Had a DRL bulb replaced and a few months later both headlamp assemblies under warranty.
    If you are not covered by Bumper to bumper then bulbs are not covered under GMPP

BTW the Sylvanias look Factory perfect, I guess because they are direct replacements. I paid $86 set for the D1 Lamps at Amazon and about $15 total at Autozone for the Amber, Clear, and Parking light sets.

fge00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac deville

Re: Headlight / Headlamp Replacement DIY Nightmare

I'm done with em guys. I love the ride, the comfort and the fact that I really love my Cadillac. But when I have to take apart half a car to change a light bulb I move on. Its the kind of stupidity that emptied Detroit in the first place. If I have to go to the dealer to reset a keyfob they have gone too far. I love my Caddy don't get me wrong. I've owned three; but there comes a point when enough is enough. I will buy a vehicle that I can pop a bulb in and out of. It may not be as safe the ride will be lousy and I'll probably have to change the thermostat every six months; but at this point I no longer care. If the Chinese come up with a car I can work on you can bet I'll be the first in line.

Not Lqqking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Kudos for posting the procedure. I have put off and put off replacing both headlight because of severe discoloration on our 03 CTS. It will definitely be a springtime job. There is also a video on youtube that I've been looking at posted by an auto parts dealer. Might be worth a look too.
    I have to agree absolute ridiculousness of this procedure. I mean what were they thinking? I'm replacing both because of cosmetics, I can't imagine the frustration one would feel if a single headlight were out and they have to go through this.

I also have to replace the timing belt. It's beyond my capabilities and mechanical knowledge. I've been quoted $1000. Is this high, midrange or what? It's from a private garage. I'm afraid to hear what the dealer would charge.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Quote Originally Posted by fge00 View Post
    I'm done with em guys. I love the ride, the comfort and the fact that I really love my Cadillac. But when I have to take apart half a car to change a light bulb I move on. Its the kind of stupidity that emptied Detroit in the first place. If I have to go to the dealer to reset a keyfob they have gone too far. I love my Caddy don't get me wrong. I've owned three; but there comes a point when enough is enough. I will buy a vehicle that I can pop a bulb in and out of. It may not be as safe the ride will be lousy and I'll probably have to change the thermostat every six months; but at this point I no longer care. If the Chinese come up with a car I can work on you can bet I'll be the first in line.

I hear you. I kind of feel the same way. Lots of things on these cars seem like a step back, and not progress. Someone called it paying a "Cadillac tax". Sort of an apt description. But if things were too easy to replace, or if they lasted as long as they should, the dealer service departments would be out of business. I agree with you; I love my Caddy too. But sometimes it's hard to be loyal to stupidity.

^^ its all about fit & finish....

Also; it's not just caddy that does this. Lots of European cars are the same way. Vw Jetta 99+ also requires front bumper removal to replace headlights. There are a lot more vehicles that require extra parts to be off to get at something else.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by fge00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    I hear you. I kind of feel the same way. Lots of things on these cars seem like a step back, and not progress. Someone called it paying a "Cadillac tax". Sort of an apt description. But if things were too easy to replace, or if they lasted as long as they should, the dealer service departments would be out of business. I agree with you; I love my Caddy too. But sometimes it's hard to be loyal to stupidity.
    Fge and Rick, I'm very sorry you both feel this way based on your experiences. I would be more than happy to look into any current concerns you're having, and I do appreciate the feedback. I'm going to document both comments where the appropriate GM teams can access them, and please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to explore anything further for you.

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

billdaman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    The boys in Flint or Lux car Division were not the brightest bulbs in the lot in the 2003 - 2005 time frame. Most of the real engineers who started their careers with GM in the 60's and early 70's had taken early outs by the time this Serviceability nightmare was created.

I was at GM Truck at the time and didnt pay much attention to the "Mid Cycle Enhancement" that carried the Deville into the DTS. However I am sure it went like this:

The bottom rung engineers at Flint were the ones assigned to Exteriors. I am sure A guy had the fascia, and a gal had the lighting
    The studio wanted world class fits, gaps to fender and grille and flushness to hood.
    They all got together and and put the Clay scrapers to work on what would satisify the Studio Chief
    The Criteria guys laid down the law as to what could be changed in the sheet metal in and around the tail light can area, with a serious focus on using existing body shop tooling and not tearing up the weld sequence.
    Costs were fought over and Purchasing won all battles
    Then someone woke up the drunk contract serviceability engineer and informed him that ..."we gis a lil problem here"...
    He muddled his way through the mess and they all agreed that 1.5 labor hours at the dealer to replace a headlamp and a horrible design did not trump dissatisifing the studio chief, the Vehicle line executive or ones boss who would be wondering just what you were doing with your time.
    Then ergonomics wizzed all over the attachment strategy for the Fascia and captive studs were made part of the Design for manufacturing strategy
    They determined that the design was no problem for the assembly plant as the lamp housings go on before the fascia so great!
    Then they launched the thing and the workers figured out how to finese the lamp assemblys and fascias together.

The customer? No one had his voice in the "Mid Cycle Enhancement" design

A typical GM Fiasco, we did this type of thing better than anyone. Root cause: Giving the Design chief what he wanted, numbskulls handling the designs, non GM Contract employees monitoring servicability, and cost being the deciding factor in all decisions.
    Superjim, Superjim, ffrog and 1 others like this.

Tommy's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

Great thread regarding bulb replacement, "You the Billdaman!"

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Thanks bildaman it took me one hrs last night to change the headlight bulb on 06 dts . It only took me an hrs because I took it to shop of a friend they lift the car up an cut the bolt that hold the bumper cover because we couldn't get off. At least we didn't have to take the entire facial of like you have to do on the european cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.