cracked seat plastic - which glue?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 6 Post By billbill1
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, cracked seat plastic - which glue? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a crack just above the seat adjustor. I tried superglue and epoxy but they don't work. Has anyone ...
    quark1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS and 08 SRX (AWD V6 Performance)

cracked seat plastic - which glue?

I have a crack just above the seat adjustor. I tried superglue and epoxy but they don't work.

Has anyone been successful in using something else that will glue the plastic of driver seat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: cracked seat plastic - which glue?

they're usually not that expensive ... if you can get me your VIN (or the last 8 digits from the VIN) I can check and see what kind of price you're looking at to replace the panel.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

I've had luck with several "un-gluable" items using Gorilla glue.

CalDrvr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac DTS

Check with Chris Heath just above. He has the 'real' solution...

tightwad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 1977 Seville

Plastic is so thin, that it's almost impossible to glue, just not enough surface area. You could glue a patch to the back to reinforce it, but probably better in the long run to replace the part.

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

If your seat plastic is the same as mine,2006 DTS. The plastic is ABS plastic. Look on the back it will say"ABS".
    ABS is very "glueable" with plumbing ABS pipe cement. Remember it is a solvent glue, and if over used, WILL, melt your plastic part. DO NOT attempt to glue in place. This glue is BLACK, and very messy. With the part removed, put a small drop of glue the on back of part, for test. After 5-10 min. scrape into the drop, and you should find the underlying plastic soft. This is what solvent glue does, it melts the ABS together. It dries very slowly, when used in a patch. Any ABS plastic part, like an old broken trim part, can be cut up, and used for patch or support. Black ABS pipe and fittings, old or new, can also be cut up and used. WARNING, if you are impatient, on a slow glue up process, DO NOT EVEN START, with ABS glue. Use round tooth picks to place glue, not LARGE applicator in can. Pull out applicator, pick up small amount of glue, with tooth pick and apply to part. Glue ONLY on back of part. Go SLOW, one crack at a time. Work outside in a well ventilated area. Make a test glue up, with an old broken part, if possible.
    I went through this process, on my drivers seat, last week. The part had two supports broken, and several cracks. With the patients, I usually don't have. I glued broken parts back and braced where needed, with broken trim parts. This is a SLOW SLOW process. If you don't have the time, buy a new part.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.