2006 dts simply wont start.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 dts simply wont start. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2006 dts just won't start. When I turn the key the n won't crank. I get nothing. The battery ...
    cadwilliam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts 4.6

2006 dts simply wont start.

My 2006 dts just won't start. When I turn the key the n won't crank. I get nothing. The battery is good and the terminals are tight. I just drove the car the night before. I was thinking it is either the starter or the theft alarm not letting the car start. Will a bad starter have symptoms before it completely does?.? And I disconnected the battery for a hour plus to reset the alarm and still I had no luck. Also just to add when I press the lock button on the key pad the yellow lights do not flash like they use to. Could that mean something. Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: 2006 dts simply wont start.

Batteries have a way off dying a fast death. Same thing happened to me with my Seville. All was well one day and the next nothing. Everything electrical worked except the starter turning. Replaced the battery and everything back to normal. Your battery is at least six years old (assuming it is the original) maybe even seven depending on when the car was built. Time for a new one. And before you ask the original AC Delco is the best battery for these cars. Yes they are expensive but they are worth the cost.

Don

Thank you don but what if the car says the battery is at 12 volts. Also I tried to boost the car off and I waited until the car read that the battery was at 13 volts. Still noting. Do you think that I still need a new battery but I do agree that the battery is old. Thanks.

Thank you Don. But what if the car reads that the battery is 12.1 volts and I tried to give the car a boost and I charge the battery until the car reads 13.1 volts. Do you think I still need a battery. But I do agree that the battery is probably old.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Take the shifter out of park and put it in neutral and see what happens.

Jim

Hey Jim. Did that too. Still nothing.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Is the security light on the dash flashing ???

No the security light isn't flashing. You know that I did try to trigger the alarm by rolling down the window and lock the car with the key pad and then opening the door from the inside but the alarm did not go off. I'm guess I will try to swap the battery and hope its. If not then.....

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

when my battery went dead I could not take the key out of the ignition and some power things I tried did not work such as the trunk or door locks. Mike

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by cadwilliam View Post
    Thank you Don. But what if the car reads that the battery is 12.1 volts and I tried to give the car a boost and I charge the battery until the car reads 13.1 volts. Do you think I still need a battery. But I do agree that the battery is probably old.
    I do not remember what my battery was showing for voltage when it died on me. All I know is that the car would not start, no solenoid clicking, but other electrical items still were working. A new battery solved the issue. My battery was right at seven years old. I do not know battery science but I think you could have a dead cell. It is my understanding that electrics that use very little voltahe will work fine with a dead cell. But the starter draws so much current that it needs all cells to operate it.

Don

Thank you everyone. I'm going to buy a new battery first. I hope that is the answer to my problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Cadwilliam, I just came across this thread and wanted to say I'm available via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you decide at any point you'd like to schedule an appointment at a dealership, etc. I see you're already planning to get a new battery, so I hope all goes well and you'll post your results when you get the opportunity!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Andrew224 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '41 67, '66 75, '02 Deville-L, DTS, DTS-L, XTS, '08 Escalade

Sounds like the starter died on you. My 2006 with 114,000 miles was running fine when I stopped for gas. Went to leave and I would just hear one click and nothing else. Electric all worked as normal. Turned out to be the starter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.