Cadillac Owners Forum banner

what are the best tires to get?

10K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  ronm01 
#1 ·
going to need to buy some new tires soon but don't know what to get, any suggestions?

#2 ·
Call Tire Rack and talk to their sales folks. They will ask you about how you drive, around town or highway, what you normally carry in the way of passengers or other weight, etc. etc. and then they'll give you some suggestions. They have good prices, a good selection, and good service.

#3 ·
Tires and cars are like whiskey, women, and guns: Everyone has their own, unshakable opinion.

You asked; I happen to like the Cooper CS4-V. Quiet, sticky, long wearing. Incredible in rain, OK in snow.

#15 ·
I have been following this thread for a while now and although I have had my set of (goodyear eagle ls tires) a relative short time I think I should add a comment.

It is maybe as important as to what brand /make tire but what is it that you want/need it to do. Tires have a shelf life they will age just sitting on the shelf. There is a code on the tire that will tell you when and where it is made. How many miles will you put on a tire? adjust your tread wear rating accordingly a 10 year old tire will be (old) no matter how much tread is left. also performance do you need a 112 mph tire or a 140 mph tire.

As to what I know about my Goodyears very smooth, quiet to me may be noisy to someone else, Rain I do know rain 4 people in the car going to the airport nastiest rain I have driven in recent memory mostly interstate stop and go in the city, car pulled in front of me had to stop fast, people in the car remarked how good the Cadillac was, 4 hrs of hard rain dont want to do it again.

I have about 5000 miles on them they still look good they still hold air and lots of tread left.Mike

#16 ·
I have Yokohama Advan S4 on my DTS...
I good STICKY tire that is a lot quieter then the Bridgestone EL400 that came on the car.

They are "V" rated as I sometimes drive faster than 60mph...:stirpot: :thumbsup:
They have almost 50,000 on them and are holding real well.

At the time I needed tires... they did not make the Michelin Primacy in my size.

If they had, it would have Michelin on it.

Jim

#18 ·
I really like the Michelin MXV4's that I had on my 2000 Deville..When it comes to tires it's really just a preference thing I believe..I have heard others bash the Michelins and I like them, likewise I dont care too much for most Goodyears but others swear by them...In my opinion If you are looking for a good all around tire I would pay particular attention to the tread wear number...Usually the higher that number the harder the tire, if u like a hard ride then by all means get a harder tire....I believe my Deville came with tires that were 420 tread wear..I currently have 620 tires on there because I was schooled on tires after I bought them...Never again..Not on a Caddy..The only upside to the hard tires is that they last a real long freakin time..Ive been waiting for these to wear out so I can change them and the damn things wont wear out..Too soft of a tire and they seem to wear out pretty fast, but they usually are more sticky and have better traction..That is how it was explained to me by the tire guy..Im not saying its the gosphel but it does make sense to me... I think the Tires that Sub recommended would be good for you..I researched them and I think that they might be my next tires..Most of the Taxi drivers in NYC swear by Cooper tires, I have heard many stories of them lasting way past their rated mileage..

#22 ·
Im going with the same O.E.M. Bridgestone Turanza 18 " tire EL400-02. I am getting some good miles out of them... originals were replaced at 77k two years and two months ago, now Ive got 152K and still tread left just noisy on the highway..
That's what was OEM on mine also.
They were just too noisy... I wanted a quieter tire so I replaced them.
I have about 45,000 on the Yokohama tires and they still have a lot of tread on them.

Jim

#23 ·
Late last week drove 150 miles while raining pretty hard all the way. After returning same 150 miles home I see that the tire dressing shine... from recent detailing by dealer before my DTS purchase on 05/17/13... has washed off. The sidewalls look dull and gray, now. Anyone use tire dressing (matte finish or shiny) to maintain the fresh new look? If so, what is your favorite? Odometer reads 39,700 miles. Tires are Bridgestone Turanza 18" EL 400, probably original. Thank you, - Ron

PS: Service director at Caddy dealership recommends Michellin when I'm ready to purchase replacements, which will be shortly before trip to Florida in early December.

#24 ·
Ive had different brands on different vehicles.. Several years ago my local alignment/tire/brake shop guy recommended Uniroyal Tiger Paws(radials) for my Cadillac DTS. I was surprised they still made them, remembering them from the old days. Put them on and they have been great. Nearly 40K miles on them, they are quiet and ride good, no problems with rain, etc.
Much better than Continentals that came new on car, (they were very noisy and hard to keep balanced.)
LIked them so good that I put a set of Uniroyal s on my F 250 4X4 truck and I like them too.
The tire guy said:"Its your money... but they all eventually turn into black dust on the highway..."

#29 ·
Kept an appointment with my dealership to have weather seal surrounding inside driver door replaced under warranty. While speaking to the service manager, I mentioned that I was somewhat disappointed with the overall ride of my Caddy. First question from him was, "What are your tires' inflation PSI?" We checked and they were over speculation @ 37 PSI. He reduced them all to 32 PSI and I am amazed at the difference! The car rides much smoother. I've read many bad comments about the Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 OEMs that I have on the car, but I believe that there are now many more 1000s of miles of comfortable riding remaining on these tires.

I've been checking further into Michellin replacements (when that time comes) and I see that the Michellin site recommends MXM4 for my Caddy as opposed to the MXV4 that a few members are using for their DTS's I would appreciate any help in choosing between these two at replacement time. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.