'06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, '06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a turn signal/DTR bulb out on my 06 DTS. The headlight housing on both sides of the car ...
    bluescat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

'06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted

I have a turn signal/DTR bulb out on my 06 DTS. The headlight housing on both sides of the car has a burnt/melted area directly
    above the turn signal bulb. I showed it to the dealer, who said they have never heard or seen this issue before. There was
    another 06 DTS in the shop, and when we looked at that one it had the same burned/melted areas on both sides.

Is this common? Was there ever a TSB on this? If so, I'm hoping my Vehicle One extended warranty may cover the repair.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: '06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted

Mine is slightly melted also in that same area.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    This a fairly common issue in my opinion. When I pulled mine out the housing was browned from the excessive heat produced by this bulb. I installed a heatsinked power resistors on the corner covers inside the engine bay. This pulls all the heat away from that bulb housing.

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    Dealer replaced both of my headlights under the pre-owned warranty. The service advisor also said he had never seen that happen. Yeah, right. There is a guy on ebay selling burnt dts headlights, and he says he has s bunch if them.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

mine on both are doing that also i have a 07 out of warranty gmpp doesn't cover because of cosmetic, plastic,, lenz;;the bull keeps going & going & going

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi bluescat,

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing this! If you'd like me to research your particular DTS a little further for you, please don't hesitate to send me a private message with your full name and the last eight of your VIN.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

cjcarlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS 1SE

The reflector on my right h/lamp actually had a spot burned away and the left side was just starting to melt on my '08. The dealer replaced both under warranty after I complained about it twice. The first time the tech that had my car said he didn't see anything wrong with them. I had to have the " shop foreman " come out and look at them before they decided they would replace them. Nothing was said about it being a common problem. I really can't understand why some things that are fairly easy to repair are so hard to get repaired. It's not like they don't get paid for doing it. The labor rate for warranty work is less than customer pay, but they are still getting paid.

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

Mine are discolored. I guess melting may be the next step for them.

I thought about trying to get it fixed under the pre-owned warranty as others have but I've had really bad luck with the dealers here.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cjcarlin View Post
    The reflector on my right h/lamp actually had a spot burned away and the left side was just starting to melt on my '08. The dealer replaced both under warranty after I complained about it twice. The first time the tech that had my car said he didn't see anything wrong with them. I had to have the " shop foreman " come out and look at them before they decided they would replace them. Nothing was said about it being a common problem. I really can't understand why some things that are fairly easy to repair are so hard to get repaired. It's not like they don't get paid for doing it. The labor rate for warranty work is less than customer pay, but they are still getting paid.

I've been trying to get my tire sensors replaced for a long time. I'm going to just have a shop put new ones in and pay for them.

I was told by a dealer that GM is now requiring the dealers to ship every replaced part to them, they are inspected and if GM decides it shouldn't have been replaced they bill the dealer for the part. I find it hard to believe that GM has a staff of people checking every broken part from every dealership in the country.

When I am on the interstate there are two tire sensors that stop working. The dealer has driven it several times and was not able to witness it so they couldn't change it under warranty. Tire King put a receiver next to the tires and told me which two were dead without me telling them. Since the dealers have the machine to program the positions I would think they would have a way to check them without driving the car hoping to see it stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by _ike_ View Post
    Mine are discolored. I guess melting may be the next step for them.

I thought about trying to get it fixed under the pre-owned warranty as others have but I've had really bad luck with the dealers here.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Just wanted to hop on to let you know I'm also here for you if you'd like further assistance, _ike_. Please send me a PM anytime with the last eight of your VIN, and I can check my resources for you. Sorry to hear you've been having frustrations so far!

Best,

Katie

I sent the VIN to the other customer service person, Breanne, when it was requested but did not hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by _ike_ View Post
    I sent the VIN to the other customer service person, Breanne, when it was requested but did not hear back.
    Don't want to threadjack, but I wanted to let you know I'm really sad to hear that and would be more than happy to investigate any concern you PM me.

Katie

I'll PM you this evening.

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    Ever since the dealer replaced mine under the pre-owned warranty, I try to remember to turn the driving lights off. I don't want to melt them again.

Quote Originally Posted by TerrBear View Post
    Ever since the dealer replaced mine under the pre-owned warranty, I try to remember to turn the driving lights off. I don't want to melt them again.
    Perhaps I should switch the bulbs to LED to cut down on the heat. I was going to do it but didn't want to take the car apart to get to the bulbs. I even had the part numbers to let them operate as DRL and turn signals. The manufacturer doesn't want to make it easy to change anything, a light bulb change used to be the easiest thing to do on a car.

BlackRavenDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS (Black Raven)

Can I get a picture of this burn mark? I haven't seen or cannot see any Burn marks on mine....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.