'06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, '06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Mine do not have any burn marks but the plastic around the orange light is getting darker and hazy, only ...
    _ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

Re: '06 DTS Turn Signal Out...Housing Appears Melted

Mine do not have any burn marks but the plastic around the orange light is getting darker and hazy, only near this light not everywhere. I don't know if this is from the heat of the light or not. On our other cars the entire headlights become hazy and yellow after a few years but the Cadillac is still clear except for that one area. If this is from the heat I can only assume it will get worse.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by _ike_ View Post
    Perhaps I should switch the bulbs to LED to cut down on the heat. I was going to do it but didn't want to take the car apart to get to the bulbs. I even had the part numbers to let them operate as DRL and turn signals. The manufacturer doesn't want to make it easy to change anything, a light bulb change used to be the easiest thing to do on a car.
    You'll need a power resistor to "trick" the system into realizing there is actually a bulb installed if you do decide to utilize LEDs. LEDs pull so little current, the car's system thinks the standard bulb has gone bad and automatically go into hyper flash mode. The power resistor acts as a simulated load and the car is back to normal. But it will definitely get that heat away from the bulb housing and put it wherever you install the resistor.

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    You'll need a power resistor to "trick" the system into realizing there is actually a bulb installed if you do decide to utilize LEDs. LEDs pull so little current, the car's system thinks the standard bulb has gone bad and automatically go into hyper flash mode. The power resistor acts as a simulated load and the car is back to normal. But it will definitely get that heat away from the bulb housing and put it wherever you install the resistor.
    The good bulbs have them built in. The ones I was going with have no issues, many people on here use them. There are also a lot with them built in from the euro accessory shops. I had some on my BMWs and Mercedes Benz with no errors.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by _ike_ View Post
    The good bulbs have them built in. The ones I was going with have no issues, many people on here use them. There are also a lot with them built in from the euro accessory shops. I had some on my BMWs and Mercedes Benz with no errors.
    The problem with that is now you've still got that heat right where the bulb is. LEDs don't like the heat so you run a higher risk of premature failure of the bulb. I'd rather have that simulated load elsewhere, especially with how hot it will get.

jazoo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

The headlight housing on both sides of my car has also burnt/melted areas directly above the turn signal bulbs. Was there ever a TSB on this?
    I think that GM has done a poor job in addressing this design flaw.

Has someone found a cost-effective solution for this problem?

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I think every DTS has burnt above the turn signal, mine has & everyone I looked at has. It's been reported here that GM replaced headlight assemblies on warr. for this reason.

DTS7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

I just bought a used '07 DTS (36K miles) from a private party and not even 3 days later, the passenger turn signal went into hyper-mode and the front turn signal bulb appears to have melted the housing.

That was fast.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

DTS7, I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations! If you would Customer Service to schedule a dealer appointment for you or investigate further, please let me know! I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

libratechie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Luxury III

So here I am with my beautiful DTS that I purchased less than a week ago.
    What would appear to be a burned out blinker bulb has now turned into a ridiculous mess
    Especially with the few searches I have conducted on this issue so far

Not only is this a heat issue from the bulb
    The plastic housing has become so brittle that it is falling apart into small pieces & dust
    So, once my bulb fell out of its respective place in its socket it was resting on the housing

I would say I have a uneven large opening the size of a tangerine where the blinker bulb used to reside.

I am extremely disappointed in what I have read about this thus far
    So much so, it makes me wonder about the rest of the vehicle
    It makes me wonder if I have made a mistake

So to think that a new replacement cost well over $500.00
    I am NOT happy over this issue
    Over poor plastics deteriorating within 7 years in my case

Extremely disappointed...this is a Cadillac!!!
    It's not a piece of crap beater to run from point A to B
    Well, it's not supposed to be

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Change the bulb in the mean time by removing the bolt the hold the light move it foward that way you reach the socket.

----------

Libratechie I try tosend you a privite mssg

libratechie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Luxury III

I actually removed the bulb yesterday by loosening a few bolts
    It's just nuts! Spend a couple of hundred for a "used" part to potentially fail again...
    OR
    Spend almost a thousand dollars for new
    And no guarantee of it not happening again

Thanks grullon10

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by libratechie View Post
    So here I am with my beautiful DTS that I purchased less than a week ago.
    What would appear to be a burned out blinker bulb has now turned into a ridiculous mess
    Especially with the few searches I have conducted on this issue so far

Not only is this a heat issue from the bulb
    The plastic housing has become so brittle that it is falling apart into small pieces & dust
    So, once my bulb fell out of its respective place in its socket it was resting on the housing

I would say I have a uneven large opening the size of a tangerine where the blinker bulb used to reside.

I am extremely disappointed in what I have read about this thus far
    So much so, it makes me wonder about the rest of the vehicle
    It makes me wonder if I have made a mistake

So to think that a new replacement cost well over $500.00
    I am NOT happy over this issue
    Over poor plastics deteriorating within 7 years in my case

Extremely disappointed...this is a Cadillac!!!
    It's not a piece of crap beater to run from point A to B
    Well, it's not supposed to be
    Hello libratechie,

I apologize you are experiencing a concern with your turn signal and your DTS. Have you spoken to a dealership regarding this concern? I would be more than happy to look into your situation for you. Could you provide me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with in a private message? If you are not able to private message me, you can contact me at socialmedia@gm.com as well. Just be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

billbill1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 2006 DTS

Funny hearing that the Dealers "have never seen such a BURT spot before".
    Like saying they didn't notice, a tire on "ALL 4 corners, of the car". Shame on THEM.

BobZiesmer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado, DTS

Hi folks!

Here's my story: Bought my 08 DTS used in November of 2011, @ 45,000 miles. Then, 2 weeks ago, the right turn signal goes into the hyperflash mode, so I check it out, and the right front bulb has melted itself into the housing and is burned out. The driver's side unit is slightly scorched and melted, but still in one piece. I go do a search, and end up seeing that this is too common, at least in my opinion.

Went to the dealer where I purchased the car, and they first told me it would be about $1,000 per side to replace. So, I ask, what about the warranty I bought. One phone call later, and they said the right side will be replaced, with me paying a $100 deductible, BUT, since the other side is still operating, no replacement.

So 2 days later, I get the right assembly replaced, and paid my $100, and the service was good. BUT, I have that other side just waiting to go, and one year left on the warranty.

Now the other thing that I find interesting is that when I first brought the car in, I brought a copy of these and other posts describing this very problem. The service writer said, "Well, you know that anything negative gets concentrated on the WEB, and it's not really that common."

The day I picked up my car, I saw another DTS parked outside the service area. I couldn't resist, and walked up and saw that the driver's side was OK, but the right side was scorched, but not yet melted. I reported that to the writer, and got a sheepish look.

Don't these people (GM) realize that things like this are best taken care of by just biting the bullet, come up with a solution, and fix it. I know this lack of accepting responsibility for a design flaw has left me with a less than favorable impression of GM's integrity, especially regarding their "flagship" line.

Now, having said all that, is there a solution, like an LED unit that fits, and works without hyperflash out there, and what are the numbers? I'm more than capable and willing to tear into this project for a permanent solution. (Been a gearhead for over 50 years).

I admit, I wouldn't be happy even if the dealer told me they would replace the unit every year for free, because that's not FIXING the problem, it's just changing parts. But then, the people at the dealership are tied to the official repair, and aren't free to improvise.

Thank you for any solutions you may have. Until then, it's shut off the auto control whenever I start up.

Bob

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Was a common problem on xlr too. They redesigned the housings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.