Strut Brands Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Strut Brands Questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am about to change my front struts and strut mounts on my 06 DTS (regular suspension and NOT the ...
    CaddyMAK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS 2006

Strut Brands Questions

I am about to change my front struts and strut mounts on my 06 DTS (regular suspension and NOT the sports suspension). I have been examining the varying options and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these parts or had any input on the issue.

For the struts, I've been to a few parts shops and the guys are telling me to go with the Monroes and claim that it is an enhanced version of the OEs and some even claim that AC Delco often re-badges the Monroes. I am skeptical of all these claims because the price gap is quite big (Monroes are like 40$ cheaper approx.). The KYBs, I was told, are the almost exact replicas of the Delcos (and are just about the same price as the Delcos). Here are the options:

1- Monroe Sensa-Track struts
    2- AC Delco
    3- KYB GR-2

For the strut mount I am not too sure what parts are required, but there is a Monroe Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit (approx. 70$), which includes Strut Mount, Bearing, Upper Spring Isolator, Lower Spring Isolator, or Upper Spring Seat. Once again the guys at the parts shops were pushing this item. The GM parts websites sell the single parts separately for about double the price when added up.

1- Is the Monroe option in this case any good?
    2- So I need all those parts listed or just the mount and the bearing?

Bottom line, I have been hearing extremely good stuff about Monroe's products, but when I took the time to look this up online I have noticed that either folks avoid Monroe like the plague or love them to death.

Thank you for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Re: Strut Brands Questions

When I had my Lux II I had the Delco's replaced twice under warranty and I wasn't impressed with them.

I put Monroes on all 4 corners, much better ride then the Delco's. KYB has a front strut but no rear shock options, they do make a shock for Lucernes but say it doesn't fit DTS which is odd because the Lucerne's rear suspension is the same. Monroe Max Air MA922 shocks do fit however in my case they were making the car sit little low. Search the Deville forum for adjusting the suspension, DTS have the same rear suspension setup as the older Devilles.

Replace the strut mount bearing if you're going through the trouble of replacing the struts.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdltc View Post
    When I had my Lux II I had the Delco's replaced twice under warranty and I wasn't impressed with them.

I put Monroes on all 4 corners, much better ride then the Delco's. KYB has a front strut but no rear shock options, they do make a shock for Lucernes but say it doesn't fit DTS which is odd because the Lucerne's rear suspension is the same. Monroe Max Air MA922 shocks do fit however in my case they were making the car sit little low. Search the Deville forum for adjusting the suspension, DTS have the same rear suspension setup as the older Devilles.

Replace the strut mount bearing if you're going through the trouble of replacing the struts.
    Thank you for the info.
    Which Monroe struts did you purchase (the Sensa-Trac or another)?
    I am thinking of just doing the front suspension for now because the problem originates from the front passenger side only as I can tell for now. I thought it may have been the intermediate shaft, but it doesn't sound like it (I had a few diagnostic issues with regard to that.)

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

A long time ago I had a 1979 Buick Regal Limited. I needed shocks so I installed Monroe's on all four corners. The ride quality wasn't the best. So I went to my local Buick dealer and picked up 4 factory shocks. The ride was fabulous with those on there. Since that day I have gone OEM for shocks and struts. They cost more but they ride the best

Don

Don,

Thank you for the info. Have you changed the struts and strut mounts yet on your 08 DTS?

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Not on the DTS but I did on the Seville.

Don

hunter548 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS

I went with the Monroe senatracs in the front of my '06. Cured the "clunk" I'd hear going over small dips in the road as well as an intermittent "loosening" feel in the steering wheel. When the shocks came out, they were about half compressed. I could fully compress them and they wouldn't expand when released. I noticed the problem right after I bought the car at 41K, so I went with Monroe rather than Delco.

I am going to go with the Monroe strut assembly kit and the AC Delco struts. I found the Delco struts just a few bucks more than the Monroe Sensa Tracs. About to place the order and get her fixed ASAP.
    I just talked to a man who fixes cars out of his house on my dog walking route. He's a certified mechanic and used to work for a dealership. He said that he would charge me 300$ in labor if I brought him the parts. I was dumbfounded. One of the previous mechanics told me that just changing the two front strut mounts was less than an hour labor. I'm guessing this will run at about 200$ labor. Do any of you gentlemen remember the labor costs?

wesleyc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): wesleyc913@icloud.com

Here in Edmonton they charge $75.00 per hour. Work is guaranteed tho and is thorough. Canadian Tire store.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.