Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New owner

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tightwad 
#1 ·
08' DTS Perf. Hoping to get some guidance:
Any clean or integrated Bluetooth options?
Any way to improve mpg's?

Thank you,

#2 ·
Congrats! I love my car despite some odd issues.

For the MPGs: I am assuming the air filter is new if you purchased it from a dealer. If it is not and it is in bad condition, you should change it. I would recommend buying some Chevron Techron (exact same thing GM will sell you just with a different label; and its cheaper). Do not use anything else if you are to use a fuel system cleaner. You do not know what the previous driver(s) put in the car with respect to Octane and from which company. Fill her up with supreme gas at a TopTier gas retailer (like Shell or Chevron for example) and add the Techron thereafter. The octane might cost more but when there is not a significant difference in the end price. It will also make your engine run more efficiently with regard to both MPG and performance. The fuel system cleaner will help clean out whatever garbage (if it is the case) left behind from cheap quality gas.

#3 ·
CaddyMAK is right about Techron. Use a bottle maybe every 5 to 10 thousand miles, depending on your fuel quality. The Northstar is a very efficient engine. There's not much shadetree engineering you can do. The aftermarket "chips" are junk. There are some very good reprogramming programs out there, but they are expensive. There's a lot of posts here about them. The easiest thing you can do for mileage is to learn to coast. Keep the tires aired up. (I use 35 in the front, 32 in the back. This also helps tire wear.) The DTS has a very low friction, easy rolling driveline. Just get used to the way the car rolls, and take your foot off the gas and let it go. On my way home from work, I turn down an offramp and then coast to my turnoff. I can roll almost a quarter of a mile. I've never seen another car that can do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.