Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If so what kind did you install? Where did you by them from? Any info would be greatly appreciated....
    creepingdeath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 67 Coupe DeVille & 06 DTS

Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's?

If so what kind did you install? Where did you by them from? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    Im pretty sure those bulbs are already LEDs. I installed LEDs in my Deville license plate lamp to get the same color and look as my DTS.

tightwad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 1977 Seville

Re: Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's?

yes, I did this a few weeks ago on my 2007. I bought mine from the website below. They have a lot of tech info and a bulb finder by vehicle. I also did the trunk light and the door courtesy lights. You can find other posts on how to do the door lights. It's a little tricky. The license bulb holders have some reinforcing ribs inside. I had to grind mine out with a dremel tool. Not a big deal. They work great, but next time, I may get a slightly brighter bulb. I bought the $5.95 bulbs. Going up a buck or two gets you more selection on output. But the pure white color is way cool.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Yes i did I got them of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/194-168-T10-...item2c6238729e

Im not sure if these are the exact ones but mine still work great

davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

Let me let everyone in on the scoop. I have now replaced the bulbs with 2 sets of LED's to try and find the right FITMENT. The 194/168 bulbs have the same fitting going into the socket, but the problem with making it fit in the housing and space is the size of the bulb. If you buy an LED like this,

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED-B...-p8804828.html

Like I ordered will be sad to find out they dont fit because the LED part that sticks out just doesnt work with the housing. It doesnt fit. period.
    You need the single cell looking LEDs like the poster from above has on ebay. How bright they are?

As far as installing them, any beginner with a 10mm ratchet can do. Just look upwards into the license plate housing and you will see 2 on each side (4 total) holding the bulb setting in place. Just undo and pull it through, there is plenty of slack. Then reverse to put it back in for each side. Very very simple. If you are unsure, just take a peak and you will see how easy it is once your eyes have seen it.

If you are having trouble taking out the bulb, just use a needle nose plier. If you break it, the nn will still pull all the guts out.
    These little bulbs take a boat load of effort to get out. Be patient and keep tugging, it will give.

Put the led in, which is reverse polarity so of it dosent work just switch it around.

Kind of suck you guys didn't get LEDs stock with your DTS license plate light. Mine already had them. But at least we've got good info on sizing since that's a real pain when you've ordered a build and then you find out it won't fit.

davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

If you compare LED outputs on stock VS aftermarket, there is no comparison. Cadillac did a great job with the Reverse LEDs, but the license plate lights...eghhhh.

There is better solutions IMO,

So you guys replaced the LEDs you guys had in your license plate with brighter/better ones?

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    So you guys replaced the LEDs you guys had in your license plate with brighter/better ones?
    Yes i, i don't think mine where LED . The new LED i installed are more of a white light like the dome lights inside the car , instead of the yellowish looking lights . If you notice the new BMW license plate lights they look like those .

Phatalac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

any one have pictures to post of the lights installed at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatalac View Post
    any one have pictures to post of the lights installed at night?

I will take a photo of mine tonight if i can remember and post it up .

Quote Originally Posted by REVELATION13 View Post
    Yes i, i don't think mine where LED . The new LED i installed are more of a white light like the dome lights inside the car , instead of the yellowish looking lights . If you notice the new BMW license plate lights they look like those .
    Okay, so it sounds like you didn't have LEDs to start with. My license plate lights already look like the reading lights inside the car and the ones LEDs I put in my Deville license plate. I guess that's another difference between the different model years of DTS. Who would've guessed? Well my led drl's, fogs, cornering, and parking lights are on the way. After those are done, time to replace the grille.
    REVELATION13 and REVELATION13 like this.

creepingdeath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 67 Coupe DeVille & 06 DTS

My license plate lights are definitely not LED's. Must of been just for the 06's ??

TerrBear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac DTS
    Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi

Okay, so it sounds like you didn't have LEDs to start with. My license plate lights already look like the reading lights inside the car and the ones LEDs I put in my Deville license plate. I guess that's another difference between the different model years of DTS. Who would've guessed? Well my led drl's, fogs, cornering, and parking lights are on the way. After those are done, time to replace the grille.
    Where did you order your fogs and cornering lights from?

Quote Originally Posted by TerrBear View Post
    Where did you order your fogs and cornering lights from?
    Fogs I ordered from amazon as they were the only reliable site I could trust to get a refund in case hey didn't work. But you can just google the bulb type and you'll find a myriad online stores that sell them. The cornering lights I got from superbrightleds.com. I ordered all the LEDs I used to upgrade all the interior lighting on my Deville as well as my DTS and external lighting as well. No issues with anything I've ordered from them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.