Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; licence plate lamps with LED's...
    REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Thumbs up Re: Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's?

licence plate lamps with LED's
    Attached Images

Phatalac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LUX III

Re: Anyone replace their licence plate lamps with LED's?

well that sold me, they dont seem that bright tho or is it just the way the picture is taken?

jsmith392003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): jsmith05403@gmail.com

I replaced mine in my 2008 with these from E-Bay.
    LED WHITE 2X LICENSE PLATE TAG LIGHT BULB T10 158 161 168 194 2825
    I also replaced the bulbs in the doors with LED's which are2x 41mm FESTOON DOME MAP WHITE 16-SMD LED BULBS 569 578
    Both worked well and make the car look alot better.

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

What new cadillacs have the updated lights for the license plate? Are you sure it is LED and not CCFL as most manufacturers are using?

cadillac_guy21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Dts

Bump

----------

I jus changed mine this weekend and took the car out after washing n waxing... A lot of people were breaking their necks , I even had another dts that was tailing me try to pull up next to me while I was driving to look at the car , we both had same color almost except when you get close to mine you see it's not completely black it's different ,bottom line switching my bulbs was a good investment,

RubirosaGGatsby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

I just did mine with the LED's from the auction link posted on the previous page. I used a set of needle nosed pliers just to loosen the bolt that held the light's housing in place, but it was all doable by hand from there; only took about ten minutes. Here's a comparison with the LED on the left, the factory light on the right:

Gomaz likes this.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE

Yeah, I did. Like the guy earlier, I got mine from super bright LEDs . They just barely fit, got the brightest ones that would go in $6.95 each but I really like the result.

Eddie39 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS LUX I 44k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by tightwad View Post
    yes, I did this a few weeks ago on my 2007. I bought mine from the website below. They have a lot of tech info and a bulb finder by vehicle. I also did the trunk light and the door courtesy lights. You can find other posts on how to do the door lights. It's a little tricky. The license bulb holders have some reinforcing ribs inside. I had to grind mine out with a dremel tool. Not a big deal. They work great, but next time, I may get a slightly brighter bulb. I bought the $5.95 bulbs. Going up a buck or two gets you more selection on output. But the pure white color is way cool.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
    Can you tell me how you get to the bulb in the door courtesy lights?

HASSAN4477 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS PERFORMANCE
    Pop the clear lens off with a small flat screw driver

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07
    Yeah, I did. Like the guy earlier, I got mine from super bright LEDs . They just barely fit, got the brightest ones that would go in $6.95 each but I really like the result.

Attachment 104568

Looks like ....

peryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Lux1 DTS. Uncle bought new. Meticulously maintained.

I replaced my 2007 plate lights with LEDs from an internet site. They fit perfectly and look 100% better than the old incandescent bulbs. Just google it...

I ordered mine from ijdmtoy.com. They fit my 07 dts perfectly. About $18 with shipping.

Atavar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

Both of the pictures in this post illustrate exactly why I don't like replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's. They just do not illuminate as well or as evenly. Laws of conservation apply, power in (watts) equals power out (lumens).

I hate that it is getting impossible to find a quality flashlight with incandescent bulbs any more. To get the same power and light quality as a $10 incandescent maglight you need to get an $80 LED flashlight, and then it draws so much power it doesn't have any more run time than the incandescent bulb did. As a volunteer firefighter I have learned that when it gets down to it LED's don't come close to performing as well as incandescent. If you throw in dollar for dollar the disparity is worse.

TopherS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS LuxIII (60K mi.), '06 SRX V6-AWD (40K mi.)

I just replaced mine with LED bulbs I got at Batteries Plus (they now sell light bulbs). They had 2 types of LED bulbs there that are replacements for 194 bulbs (both packages say that they replace 194 bulbs). The first type was a base with LEDs that face straight out (looks cut off) and the other type had a multi-directional set-up coming out of the base (all told; a little larger than the 194 bulb it replaces). I got the multi-directional bulbs. They BARELY fit ... they go about 99.9% of the way in and rub that last .1% ... but I did not feel that I had to damage anything to get it installed fully. They look good ... I'm happy with the result.

They were $6.99 each, so $13.98 out-the-door ... no shipping costs/no waiting ... and they said that if it did not work, they'd take them back.

With the tail, 3rd brake and back-up lights all being LED, it's only logical that the license plate lamps look the same from a Kelvin level. The look at night is much more uniform with LED license bulbs. I also think that they complete the look of a newer, more modern DTS by keeping the illumination of all rear end uniform. I am now moving to the interior lighting. I have very "cool" LED's as main lighting, but the ash tray, door and vanity bulbs are "warm" incandescent. Why?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.