Previous CTS and STS owner...DTS tips needed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Superjim
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Previous CTS and STS owner...DTS tips needed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have owned an '06 1sc STS and a '11 CTS. I am currently in the market in the next ...
    Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Previous CTS and STS owner...DTS tips needed

I have owned an '06 1sc STS and a '11 CTS. I am currently in the market in the next 8 months for a DTS but have a couple questions first.

#1 is a Dts a car I can drive comfortably around town and park comfortably in my garage and in parking lots? (both other caddy's fit ok in my garage width wise...I think I'm ok on length.)

#2 what year should I be looking at if I want to spend in the $20k range...certified older or newer model. Where should I try to source from? eBay Craigslist classifieds ?

#3 is this car reliable? My STS was in the shop a couple times with some high dollar repairs....will I face the same with the Dts?

#4 what options are gotta haves for you current owners? Looking back, my STS with nav and lock pic is a gotta have. Cooled seats, nice to have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Re: Previous CTS and STS owner...DTS tips needed

The DTS is a very easy car to drive and park. All but the base model have the park assist sensors.

Pricing seems all over the place. A 2008 has a kelly blue book retail value of around $23,000. But most dealers pushing them as certified cars ask somewhat more, especially if they are highly optioned models.

The DTS has been a very troublefree car. The 2006s have a few more bugs, but that is not uncommon with a new model. The 2007 was named a used car best buy by J.D.Powers.

Options vary depending on model. All but the base model have the heated and air conditioned seats. The guys who have the Nav radio really seem to like it. Bucket seats and console are standard with the bench being an option. Most guys here seem to prefer the buckets. I do.

There is/was a performance model. It gave you a few more horsepower. But even without it these cars like to fly. I have trouble keeping it under 80 on the freeway.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Regulator!
    The DTS is a great car! I agree with HartfordGuy. It is very easy to drive and park. The pricing on the vehicle depends. If you go for a used, check out GMcertifiedused.com. It is a website with GM certified used vehicles in your area. With the certified used vehicles you get warranties that will help with the cost of repairs. Make sure you ask your local dealer lots of questions when talking about your warranties. I hope this helps. Keep us updated!
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...
    I love my DTS; it's my 3rd FWD N* Cadillac. Just be prepared for a much wider turning radius than you might have had before.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
    I have owned an '06 1sc STS and a '11 CTS. I am currently in the market in the next 8 months for a DTS but have a couple questions first.

#1 is a Dts a car I can drive comfortably around town and park comfortably in my garage and in parking lots? (both other caddy's fit ok in my garage width wise...I think I'm ok on length.

For a large car the DTS handles quite well. As mentioned in a previous post the turning radius will not be as tight as your other previous cadillacs

#2 what year should I be looking at if I want to spend in the $20k range...certified older or newer model. Where should I try to source from? eBay Craigslist classifieds ?

I would say you would be able to get an 07' or 08' depending on which trim level you like. I would try locate the car through a dealer so that you could negotiate an extended warranty in the deal vs. a private party.

#3 is this car reliable? My STS was in the shop a couple times with some high dollar repairs....will I face the same with the Dts?

My 07' has been fairly trouble free. I have had some very minor issues however they were covered under warranty. Since you have already owned several caddy's you should already know that repairs can add up very quickly on these cars.

#4 what options are gotta haves for you current owners? Looking back, my STS with nav and lock pic is a gotta have. Cooled seats, nice to have.

The nav is a nice feature and I have it in my car. Not sure if a lock pic is available for the DTS. You would need to do a little research on that.

Good Luck
    383 LT1 SS

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I love my 2006 DTS....I bought it new.
    I had a few issues early on ... but everything was handled under warranty.

If you take road trips, you will find that it is probably the best road car for the money that you can buy.

Mine now has a little over 111,000 miles on it...
    Took this pic yesterday morning on my way home from an 1,800 mile road trip..

Texas Jim
    HartfordGuy and HartfordGuy like this.

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

You didn't take a pic. of the trooper?
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by stormnn View Post
    You didn't take a pic. of the trooper?
    Norm
    All of the ones I saw yesterday already had someone stopped...

Jim

I'll take 19mpg as my 3.0l CTS averages 17-18mpg
    Good point on the bench seat, that will definitely not work for me.

What about going from an STS to a Dts....do you gain a lot of room in the backseat?

So where is the best deal to be had for these cars? Don't tell me I need to buy a car online on eBay!

stormnn is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac DTS

I get 27 on flatland 70 mph. Buy from a GM dealer with factory warranty. failing that get a written 90 day bumper to bumper warranty. Be real careful buying private.
    I still love that picture.
    Norm

I'll take 19mpg as my 3.0l CTS averages 17-18mpg
    Good point on the bench seat, that will definitely not work for me.

What about going from an STS to a Dts....do you gain a lot of room in the backseat?

So where is the best deal to be had for these cars? Don't tell me I need to buy a car online on eBay!
    If I was buying another one today...I would be looking at as new of one that I could afford...
    I would not buy one if I could not get it CERTIFIED or be able to put a GMPP warranty on it.
    There is just so much that could go wrong and be really expensive to fix.

If you buy one... even from an individual and it is still in the original factory warranty.... you can buy the GMPP warranty for it...

I know that you pay more for a CERTIFIED car and you pay for the GMPP warranty, but for me the peace of mind, knowing that if something "DOES" go wrong, it will be taken care of with out having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house, would be worth it.

There is also the possibility that you would pay more for the CERTIFIED car and it "NEVER" has to have anything done to it... but I would still do it that way.

As for room in the back seat...
    The DTS has LOTS MORE room in the back than any other modern Cadillac.

Texas Jim

Like other caddies, the value of these cars goes from $45k new to under 25k within 2 years, so I will be looking at an 08-11 by this October (especially since the new model will be out)

The extended warrant will be a bonus, but I see 07's with higher mileage in the low teen's!

Now I'm torn...higher mileage cheap Dts or certified more expensive boat

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Certified or GMPP extendable.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Quote Originally Posted by stormnn View Post
    I get 27 on flatland 70 mph. Buy from a GM dealer with factory warranty. failing that get a written 90 day bumper to bumper warranty. Be real careful buying private.
    I still love that picture.
    Norm
    Thanks...
    I slowed down and set the cruise because I was using a camera and not a cell phone to take the picture...

Mine is the Performance with the 3.73 gearing, so it doesn't get the mileage that the other ones do.
    I have got as high as 24 a couple of times... but it is usually driven a good bit in excess of 70...so mileage suffers as a result.

Texas Jim

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Like other caddies, the value of these cars goes from $45k new to under 25k within 2 years, so I will be looking at an 08-11 by this October (especially since the new model will be out)

The extended warrant will be a bonus, but I see 07's with higher mileage in the low teen's!

Now I'm torn...higher mileage cheap Dts or certified more expensive boat
    Regulator,
    Congratulations on looking into a new vehicle! If we can perhaps answer any questions you may have on the Certified Program or on GMPP terms, be sure to let us know!
    Sarah (In for Breanne today)
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.