LED Door Courtesy Lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, LED Door Courtesy Lights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I wanted to write a quick update on installing LED's in the courtesy lights located on all 4 doors. ...
    davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

LED Door Courtesy Lights

Hi,

I wanted to write a quick update on installing LED's in the courtesy lights located on all 4 doors. I have read in multiple locations that you must "break" the housing to install, which could not be further from the truth.
    Heres what you do:

1) The light cover is held in by 4 clips. If you are looking directly at the light cover, you will be looking at the front 2 clips (they arent visible).
    Grab 2 flat head screw drivers and stick them in between the door molding and the light cover(the top of the light cover). Press downwards with BOTH flat head screw drivers and this will release the cover. The configuration will make a lot more sense once the housing cover is off

2) Remove the factory bulb. Insert LED, I used these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130608445958...84.m1497.l2649

Very inexpensive and they shine great.

3) The trickier part is getting the cover back on. To do this, you must pull the housing downwards out of the door jam to get all 4 clips to go back in. If you position your body underneath the door and look upwards, look to the left inside the opening. You will see a white rectangular tab. Grab a small flat head screw driver and pull that tab towards the direction of the light bulb. There are about 5 little grooves that you will see, and once those have cleared the plastic just pull down.

4) Pop the light cover back on. On the right side of the housing you will see a rectangular piece stick out. Put that side in first, then stick the side with the grooves back in (the left side)

5) LED Courtesy Lights done.

Going back to step 1, you need to simultaneously push in and down with the two flat head screw drivers to release the tabs. If you need help finding the tabs, GENTLY put one of the screwdrivers above the light in between the light and the door molding. Pull down gently, you will see where the two tabs are located., now put both flat heads in the space between the light and the door molding where the tabs are located, push in and down and give it a little tug and the cover will pop right off. voila
    TerrBear and TerrBear like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: LED Door Courtesy Lights

Just saw them for the first time at night and they are SUPER BRIGHT. Easy MOD for under $7 shipped for 4 lights.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS
    I actually ordered two whole sets of the housing. So I know exactly how they're designed. The problem is I did exactly that and the and the clear plastic part broke as I predicted it would. I had the cover in my hand to see if I could practice taking it off before I tried the other door. It was nearly impossible to do without breaking the cover again. I went to attempt it on the other door and sure enough the clear cover was getting ready to break again. I can't get the clear cover back onto the original one as well because I can't get the housing out of the door. I see the tab on the side but it feels like the wiring is too short to allow the housing to come out. I have a decent amount of tools and was using jewelers screwdrivers just to make sure all my pressure was focused exactly where the tabs were. I may need some pics otherwise I may try removing the entire door panel.

Hmmm. I will post pics for you man to help illustrate tomorrow when i get some time. If you see how the clips are designed, where they "hook into" the groove opening. Dont mess with the underneath clips when you are removing. Those will come out naturally. The front two are the only ones you need to unlock and the underneath 2 will just release due to the angle. Stick 2, not one, two small flat head screwdrivers where the tabs are located and push in and down. Thats the ticket. You need 2 small flat head screw drivers. You cant replicate it this with the housing and cover off the car really. Its easiest when you stick the 2 small flat head screw drivers in the seam between the door and the light. you need a little effort to do it, but dont force it or the clips will break, as you know. Push in and down WHERE THE TABS ARE NOT JUST ANY SPOT. They will release, the front part of the light cover will hang down, and the back 2 will release or come off with a slight change in the angle that you can manually do with your hand. The light cover will snap in pretty easily, then insert it into the door starting with the opposite side you had to pull the tab towards the light bulb. Boom

As far as getting the housing to drop down from the opening so you can snap the cover back on and re-install, you have plenty of slack dude. Just stick that little screw driver in there, pull the tab out TOWARDS THE BULB and continue to simulataneously pull the housing downward from the door. As long as the little ridges (on the same side as the tab you are pulling towards the bulb)clear the door, it will drop right down and hang with about 4 -5 inches of slack. Once you get one door the rest are a breeze. hope this helps.

This is also the bulb for the trunk light, so you can order an extra pair and swap that out, and have an extra in case one of the doors burns out.

This is what they look like at night. BRIGHT clean white color!! The pic shows them as blueish slightly but they arent at all. The best example I can give you is the reverse light in the DTS. It matches that pretty much to a tee. Really a no brainer for the price. When you open your car door at night, it changes the game. The picture illustrates how much light is given off. lots.
    Thanks

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I like the way that looks...I may just try to do that to mine...

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Thanks for posting this. I just bought those LED lights. That is way to super sexy and my car must have it.

When I put mine in I couldn't believe Cadillac didn't put these in the doors. They match the interior lighting so well and look much better than the ugly brown lighting. I replaced all the interior lighting in my Deville and it looks so much better. Although you don't see it that often another bulb I changed out was the trunk. It's the exact same bulb as the doors and 100 times easier to swap out.

trunk is very easy, the bulb is exposed with no cover over on it. It is hot as hell so be careful.

It really does look awesome, and since the rest of the interior is LED, this compliments the interior perfect. If you dont have them, and you want to "try them out", its $3.38 WITH SHIPPING lol. you will be ordering a second pair in no time i promise.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcadillac View Post
    trunk is very easy, the bulb is exposed with no cover over on it.
    It is hot as hell so be careful.

It really does look awesome, and since the rest of the interior is LED, this compliments the interior perfect. If you dont have them, and you want to "try them out", its $3.38 WITH SHIPPING lol. you will be ordering a second pair in no time i promise.
    Open the trunk... wait 10 minutes... the trunk light will turn itself "OFF"... and you will not burn your fingers.

Texas Jim

Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I like the way that looks...I may just try to do that to mine...
    Same here,thanks for sharing D/C,looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by davidcadillac View Post
    trunk is very easy, the bulb is exposed with no cover over on it. It is hot as hell so be careful.

Mine has a cover on it and it never shuts off. I left the trunk open for a couple of hours waiting for it to shut off and it never did. The best bet is just wear gloves to catch it. That way you don't burn your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    Mine has a cover on it and it never shuts off. I left the trunk open for a couple of hours waiting for it to shut off and it never did. The best bet is just wear gloves to catch it. That way you don't burn your hand.
    Interesting....
    Mine turns off after 10 minutes along with the interior lights.
    I have had the trunk and doors open in the garage, when I am loading it for a trip or unloading after returning.

Jim

The interior shuts off after a few minutes but the trunk for whatever reason just stays on for some long amount of time I've never been able to figure out. But I figure it's because they figure you'll never really forget to close your trunk.

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

It does seem odd that the factory uses incandescant bulbs in the doors. Plus makes them virtually unservicable. It's almost as if there is a reason they don't want them LED or for us to swap them.

I can't imagine why.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.