08 DTS with electrical probs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 08 DTS with electrical probs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Bought a 08 DTS a few months ago. Lux 3 with 50,000mi on it. The other day I was pulling ...
    Paulyray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

08 DTS with electrical probs

Bought a 08 DTS a few months ago. Lux 3 with 50,000mi on it. The other day I was pulling into the garage and the radio went out and all the guages went to 0. Service air bag, service ac, service tire monitors, in the DIC. Car continued to run properly. The next day the same problems occurred again. It was Xmas eve, we got to the inlaws and when I shut the car off, everything went dead except the ac controls which stayed on. The doors wouldn't unlock unless you pulled the actual lock. The fob wouldn't work. I tried to restart it, it was completely dead.(except the ac which wouldnt shut off) Being stranded, I tried to unhook the battery, hoping to reset, left battery unhooked for an hour or so, hooked back up, still dead. Left car and got a ride home. A couple days later I tried the fob and to my surprise the doors unlocked. Car started and acted and ran like normal. I called cadillac dealer and told them I was bringing it in. On the way to the dealer all of the guages and DIC info repeated. I pulled into dealer and service writer witnessed all of the above mentioned issues. Now the dealer has had the car for a week and says they can't reproduce any of the issues. They said they drove it 25 miles and it is fine, no codes, can't duplicate the problem. Has anybody had issues similar to these? Any advice? Thanks in advance for any help. My wife drives the car primarily and we have a two year old. I don't want them stranded in the cold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 08 DTS with electrical probs

I was asked to comment here - but I have no idea of what the problem could be. Gremlins, but that's flippant.

I hope you have a good warranty - a certified 08 should be good for a while, warranty-wise.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't frequent this forum because I don't know much about the '06+ models, but was asked to take a look at this thread. The only thing I can offer, and it admittedly is just a shot in the dark, is to pull both battery cables and touch them together. That is sort of a system reboot. Probably won't help, but can't hurt.

No extended warranty. I think the factory is just good to 50,000 mi. which i am over. I don't think electrical problems are covered under the 100,000 drivetrain warranty are they? I didn't purchase the car from a cadillac dealer (carmax) so I don't think i am certified used. I guess i am out of luck.

Another update. After keeping the car for a week and being unable to replicate any of the problems, i went to pick the car up. The dealership said they drove the car 15 different times and nothing was wrong, couldn't replicate anything I said it was doing. Of course, after i picked it up and got 2 miles from the dealership all of the same symptoms started again. The radio goes out, all of the guages go to 0, the dic reads service airbag, parking assist off, service ac. I got home, pulled into the garage and turned the car off and it is completely dead except for the heater / ac controls are still lit. I don't really know what to do now. I guess I will have it towed to a different cadillac dealership and see if I have any better luck. Any other ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

ffrog is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

I had similar problems with my 2006, except it was related to the way the doors would lock/unlock and windows would open/close, very strange. Anyway, the dealer did a software download and I have had no problems since.

Good luck.

2007DTSLUXI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007DTSLUXI

This might be a shot in the dark, it sounds like a circuit board or ground issue. I'm not sure how our cars are configured electrically, however there should be a BCM or body control module that is a computer circuit card it works with the Main CPU. I had a 2001 Monte Carlo and it acted like it was haunted it would randomly lock unlock loose power to the gauges etc..

ffrog is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I don't frequent this forum because I don't know much about the '06+ models, but was asked to take a look at this thread. The only thing I can offer, and it admittedly is just a shot in the dark, is to pull both battery cables and touch them together. That is sort of a system reboot. Probably won't help, but can't hurt.
    Will this reboot undo previous software downloads? I’ve been contemplating doing this to solve another gremlin problem. Sometimes when I remove the ignition key the door does not unlock the way I have it programmed thru the DIC and when I open the door the chimes activate, but I have not left the lights or anything else on. Eventually it goes back to normal.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by ffrog View Post
    Will this reboot undo previous software downloads? I’ve been contemplating doing this to solve another gremlin problem. Sometimes when I remove the ignition key the door does not unlock the way I have it programmed thru the DIC and when I open the door the chimes activate, but I have not left the lights or anything else on. Eventually it goes back to normal.
    No... it will not undo any previous software updates.

When you pull both cables and touch them together for a few seconds... it discharges all of the capacitors in the system.
    It will not mess up any updates.

Texas Jim

Going out to the garage to try this now. Thanks for the help / comments.

----------

Well unhooking the battery and touching the cables together shut the heater off at least. It still won't turn over. everything lights up (dash and headlights) and the dic says service air bag, it doesn't do anything when you try to start it.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyray View Post
    Going out to the garage to try this now. Thanks for the help / comments.

----------

Well unhooking the battery and touching the cables together shut the heater off at least. It still won't turn over. everything lights up (dash and headlights) and the dic says service air bag, it doesn't do anything when you try to start it.
    Try putting it in "NEUTRAL" and maybe even moving the shifter towards reverse and drive while holding the key in "START" position...

Jim

Put it in neutral, wiggled it, reverse, drive, back in neutral while in the start position. The headlights blinked a couple times, still not turning over. The fob won't lock or unlock it either.

Great, i guess now I need to have it towed the 30 miles back to the dealer where it has been for the last week. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

AEC2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyray View Post
    Great, i guess now I need to have it towed the 30 miles back to the dealer where it has been for the last week. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
    I have read somewhere that others have had similar problems due to a grounding issue. I'd pull the back seat out and inspect the grounds to the body etc., they're easy to spot. If you have any doubt disconnect the battery then remove the grounds, clean them with sand paper (both the cable and the area they attach to the body). I like to use battery terminal spray, it coats everything with a tacky film that protects the connecting. White grease will also do. If that fails try finding and cleaning grounds under the hood (good luck with that one ). Hope this helps.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

There definitely seems to be an issue here. I would get an opinion of another Cadillac dealer. If you want to send me your VIN number I can look into this as well. Keep us updated as to what you find out.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.