I'm installing a navigation system in my car, how & what do I need to do it?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, I'm installing a navigation system in my car, how & what do I need to do it? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It does not have a navigation in it now, please advise! Is this hard, do I need to get it ...
    Jay'sFavCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 pearl DTS to 06 diamond DTS

I'm installing a navigation system in my car, how & what do I need to do it?

It does not have a navigation in it now, please advise! Is this hard, do I need to get it done by a professional?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Re: I'm installing a navigation system in my car, how & what do I need to do it?

which one the 00 or the 06?

Jay'sFavCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 pearl DTS to 06 diamond DTS

Re: I'm installing a navigation system in my car, how & what do I need to do it?

2006! Thanks

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

It'll probably be a helluva lot cheaper and easier for you to buy a good Garmin (which has way more features) for a few hundred bucks than try to do this install!
    hueterm and hueterm like this.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

If you are trying to put a factory unit in it FORGET it cant be done if it didnt leave the factory with one the only way to install it is to get a factory harness and rewire the car sorry

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

The radio and GPS antenna are the easy part. The problem is the non-Nav radio harness doesn't have the VSS wire (vehicle speed sensor) to let the system run smoothly. I think someone else installed one and said the map was jumpy until they ran a new VSS wire. Otherwise the unit has to wait forthe actual GPS unit to lock onto the coordinates and that makes the icon stall and jump as it catches up.

If you go on ebay and look at photos of the back of the different DTS radios you will see that the Nav radio plugs look different too. Unfortunately the dealer installed Nav kit is discontinued and the harness part number was never offered separately.

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Let me first say that this absolutley can be done. With all the wires it seems to be hard unless you know what you are doing. Ive done this in my car with factory Nav. It integrated perfectly. Ill try to give a brief rundown on how to do this. I thought about doing a how to but never got around to it. You must have BOSE for this to work without extensive wiring of an aftermarket amp. This is a fast and dirty how to.

Things you will need:

1. The Nav unit (got mine of ebay for reasonable)
    2. The wiring harness (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-CHEVY-GMC...item2a14473c95) Note*** Every wire will be used except for the yellow video connector.
    3. A cheap plastic trim remover kit. 7 bucks at harbor freight to save your interior. DO NOT use a screwdriver to pry the wood/plastics apart.
    4. Note***** Even if your Nav unit is unlocked and ready to use you may need to get it programmed by your local GM dealer. If the Nav unit came from a newer DTS than 06 you will need to write the P/N down and have the GM tech use a VIN from a newer DTS and then select the corresponding P/N from the list on his tech2/computer for programming. This may not be required but it was for me.
    5. A GPS antenna. I didn't use factory. I got one of those off of ebay that is magnetized on the bottom. It works wonderfully. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-G...item3f0da5b825

Directions:

1. Remove trim around the radio. Start below the climate control. Pop it out and work your way around and over to the passenger side. It comes out at an angle. This piece is pretty tough but try to be gentle.

2. Remove the Clock assy, climate control assy, and lastly the Radio. Unplug everything and get it out of your way.

3. Behind the clock assy there is a single bolt. Remove it and the other bolts holding the dash on(you will see them when you remove the the wood trim).

4. Remove the A-Pillar covers. Stick your finger behind the top and give a short pull. It will pop out. Remove the plastic retention cable. It just snaps into the A pillar. You will see what I mean. Pull the A pillar cover toward the inside of the car while pulling up and away from the dash. It is "squeezed" in there. Mind the tweeter and its connection. Pull the pillar out enough so that you can unplug the wire from the tweeter. I was paranoid that the wire would fall down into the dash so I used a piece of tape to secure it to the windshield. This probably wasnt necessary lol. Now pull the A pillar cover completely off and do the other side.

5. Use one of your pastic tools that you bought to "pop" the defrost grill off. Underneath the grill is four bolts. Im not going to lie. This was a pain in the ass. Get some small towels and shove in the defrost openenings. This will take care of the paranoia of one of those little bolts falling down the defrost vent. Remove each bolt. My hands are big and it was hard for me to get a 1/4" drive rachet and socket back there. But I did and so can you

6. Use one of your interior tools to remove the sides of the dash. Open your door and look at the side of the dash. Remove that panel on each side. Once removed you will see a hole and a bolt hiding within the hole. Remove the bolt on both sides.

7.. The section above the speedometer is attached to the dash via velcro. Yes velcro. Push the dash up slightly to detach it. Now you should be able to lift the dash and move it freely. DISCONNECT the wire harness on the passenger side under the dash. It connects the speaker and the auto lights sensor. I forget how it comes apart but its pretty easy.

8. Now remove your dash. It should come out pretty easy.

9. There is a HUGE wiring harness above the steering wheel and under the "now removed" dash. This harness has all the wires connections that we need. The harness "connector" is held down by one of those plastic retention clips. Just pull straight up and it will come out. You will notice a White handle on the connector. Pull the handle back to release the two halves of the connector and allow you to pull them apart. Note the half going through the firewall has all of our wires. The half going to the rest of the dash does not.. because your car did not come with Nav.

Side note: I hate the idea of cutting any wire in my car. But after trying to "tap" into the wires that I needed I finally said screw it and just cut them from the connector, stripped them back, and wired them to my harness. I felt ok about doing this because they did not connect with any other wire(confirmed because the wire hole in the other connector had no wire) and I needed a solid connection and me with a solder wand in my car is not a good idea.

Connector view with the things your interested in highlighted. **EDIT: this turned out horrible. Contact me and I will email you a higher res Image***

Some clarification. You should have two wiring harness. Once that has a brown connector(Green, red/black, and svideo) and a white connector(red/black).
    Cut the WHITE connector off. You will not be using the connector itself, you just need the cables with the metal ends. When you removed your radio, you probably only had two wiring harnesses. You will be plugging the the metal ends of the "now" connectorless wires into this connector 1(existing). The red cable will plug into Connector 1(pin 4) and the black cable will plut into Connector 1(pin 5) Let me create a diagram to make all these connections easier.

The big connector abover the speedometer is C201.

Connector #3(Nav Unit)

Pin 5(grn) ----> Pin 30(C201) (drk grn/white strip) VSS
    Pin 8(red) ------> Pin 41(C201) (drk blu) Tele Voice
    Pin 16(black) ---> Pin 42(C201) (ligh blu/blk) Tele Voice

Connector #1(Nav Unit)<already existing in your car/you cut the wires from your ebay harness and insterte the metal ends into their correct holes on the existing harness>

Pin 4 (red) -----> Pin 18(C201) (either Grey/wht or Grey/blk I cant remember) Mic+
    Pin 5 (black) ---> Pin 17(C201) (Pink/blk) Mic -

You may want to get some black and red wire from lowes/walmart/whereever to extend the length of your ebay harness wires. The VSS wire will be plenty long enough but the others will be a bit short to work with. My opinion.

After you get all the wires connected, plug in your nav antenna and all the connectors. Mount your radio and take it for a drive. It took mine a few minutes to get my location the first time. After the first time it has me from go. After the nav locates your position, press the DEST button and set a destination. Press the start guidance button and confirm that the female voice is talking to you from the driver side front speaker. If she isn't, it means you havent got a good connection. That happened to me. Once everything is working well, find a good place to mount your antenna. I put mine just right of center inside my dash between the metal bracket and defrost vent. It was a snug fit and the magnet insures it will never go anywhere. Once it is all working, put everything back togeather. It will go fast!.. Except for those damn bolts in the defrost vent area. This seems like a lot but when you get it apart most of the smoke and "OMG too many wires" thoughts will slowly dissapear. Im sorry I didn't take pictures when I did mine. I love my Nav. Its factory and I dont have things hanging on my window. If this is in any way unclear please ask questions. It took A LOT of digging to get all this information. Bits here and bits there but not a complete guide. I hope this helps.

Edit***You need the Map disc as well. Ebay or.. other places
    mastafly and mastafly like this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yes, it can be done but getting it done right is the key here

this is not your everyday DIY project and GM offers no support for this mod
    (and you may run in to problems if you ever try and get the radio/nav serviced at a dealership)

the advice in post #4 is also true - and would be my recommendation for 99% of the people who want to add nav to their non-nav cadillac
    if you are dead set on getting nav in your non-nav cadillac and you're not in the 1% who can do this mod then find someone who is before attempting on your own

another option would be to trade your vehicle in for one that has a nav (depending on the economics of the situation this might actually be a really good option)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

And all that for a nav unit that really isn't very good...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by hueterm View Post
    And all that for a nav unit that really isn't very good...
    Everyone has their own opinion... but I really like mine and will refuse to have another car without it.

Texas Jim
    phigment and phigment like this.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

I have it too, and it's fine. I would buy it again.

I just don't think it's worth such a major retrofit, when a Garmin is such an improvement in terms of interface, performance, etc.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

I'd rather have an in-car GPS that have those hideous looking Garmin's. The crazy part is that the Garmin's performance is on par with the DTS' GPS. Goggle Maps navigation blows any Garmin or TomTom out of the water. This is from TONS of experience with aftermarket GPS on many trips I have to take for my job. If I had a choice between the Garmin and the in-car navigation, I choose the in car version.

To each their own in a world of choice. The man asked how hard it was to do and I guess I'm one of those rare ducks who has actually done it. Thought I would give some instructions despite whatever limitations the OEM nav units have. I would much rather have the factory Nav than a Garmin. Ive used garmins/tomtoms/smartphone nav(s)/etc. The only way the factory nav could "function" better for me is if I could enter an address the same way I do in my iPhone. Now THAT would be a huge improvement. Otherwise im not sure how it can be improved by any large margin. And I can watch dvd's on my lunch break. Take that garmin

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Sorry for digging up such an old thread but I am going to do this in a month or so. Just need to get the VSS harness. I picked up the nav unit off eBay for cheap. So hopefully it all goes well and I can report back good things.

Don

This is the same harness that I purchased when I did mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2012-GM...item460e1ac924

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.