Temperature Gauge question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Temperature Gauge question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guys, where does your temperature gauge set at after your car is warmed up? My old impala set exactly in ...
    phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Temperature Gauge question

Guys, where does your temperature gauge set at after your car is warmed up? My old impala set exactly in the middle of the gauge. The first time I test drove my DTS I thought maybe it was starting to over heat because the needle settles above the half way mark. Lately it seems to inch a little higher than usual and then come back down. Just wanting to make sure what is normal. Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Temperature Gauge question

Mine will occasionally go to about a needle and a half above the halfway mark, in really hot weather or if I have been driving VERY aggressively in the mountains at relatively low speed and shifting back and forth from 1st to 2nd and then back to 1st repeatedly.

Other than that, it stays right in the center mark with the top of the needle about 1/3 it's width above the center mark.

Remember, if you are "NOT" using the AC, the fans do not come on till it reaches 226F.
    If you ARE using the AC, the fans are on when you are below about 35 MPH.

Texas Jim

Tomko is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)

My temperature indicator behaves precisely as Jim has described.

Leo George Jr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black

My temperature indicator behaves precisely as Jim has described also.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Mine behaves. Probably not as exact as others Cadillacs but not in any way to warrant any concern.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Remember, if you are "NOT" using the AC, the fans do not come on till it reaches 226F.
    If you ARE using the AC, the fans are on when you are below about 35 MPH.
    This happens every fall... people who have been using the a/c full time suddenly stop using the a/c and the temp needle starts to move a bit on them ... and they freak out
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Mark58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    This happens every fall... people who have been using the a/c full time suddenly stop using the a/c and the temp needle starts to move a bit on them ... and they freak out
    Can you imagine if we actually had analog gauges for temp and oil pressure how many concerns that would raise?

Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII

Quote Originally Posted by Leo George Jr View Post
    My temperature indicator behaves precisely as Jim has described also.
    Same here

Leo George Jr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Mine stays the same year round, a/c or not.

kingphil69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sits right at or a needlepoint above middle with the ac on.
    ac off, hovers needlepoint above and slowly works its way up to one line above middle, but never higher than that. if i'm crusing, it stays in the middle. traffic light or drive through, it'll come to the first line above center, fans come on, and it comes back to center. knowing how sensitive these engines are to overheating i find myself looking at it more than i want to. however, it's been that way since i've had it. even had the dexcool flushed and refilled by the dealership (i know... i know...) just so i KNEW it didn't have sludge in it. i plan on draining and refilling the dexcool every year like every other caddy i have, so it has no chance of building up and stays fresh.

sirchico is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I smell somthing wrong

sirchico, This is a two year dead thread. Please do not mindlessly test your new membership. Thanks, CF Staff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.