Dts led upgrades
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Dts led upgrades in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Plan on doing full LED treatment to interior which if done right looks awesome. No blue or other colors, just ...
    davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

Dts led upgrades

Plan on doing full LED treatment to interior which if done right looks awesome. No blue or other colors, just cool white. Highly recommended if you do the install yourself the lights are real cheap.

I had a more specific question on the daytime running lights. I previously had a 2010 Lexus IS350. Nice car, did all the LED's on this one too. When it came to the DRL (daytime running lights), it wasnt just a simple bulb swap. I bought a special load resistor because the DRL and the high beam ran off the same bulb, just different outputs. For example, the DRL ran off 6 watts during the day, then when u hit the high beams it went to 12 watts. The special load resistor actually powered the DRL at 12 watts all the time, otherwise the low power draw would cause the light to flicker. so, 2 questions.

1) Has anyone swapped out the ugly yellow drl bulb for a led? Does the DRL run as an independent bulb or is it tied to one of the other bulbs?

The previous post about removing the bumper was awesome. If I am going to do it, I want to do all the bulbs at once (parking light, DRL)

When you swap the parking light buld to led, what is the most amount of smd chip can you use???

Also, has anyone swapped the fog light bulbs with LED>? I think that would be neat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

Re: Dts led upgrades

I did install LED in place of the orange bulbs. After I had them installed and before I put it all back together I turned on the flashers. They looked beautiful. I put it all back together and started off. The first time I switched on a blinker I knew I had trouble. They blinked normally for about 2 seconds and then started blinking rapidly. The LED was an orange color as well because to use a pure white LED would make it very hard to see the blinker during the day. I did some research and eventually pulled them out and replaced them with "regular" bulbs again. Im sure ill replace them again in the near future. One thing I learned from that experience is that I need to use an "error free" LED. They have load resistors that simulate normal bulb.

I do not really think there is a limit to the amount of smd led's that can be used as long as the board will fit inside the assembly.

Im not sure LED for fog lights would work out to well. LEDs look awesome but they don't really throw out enough light when compared with regular bulbs. Just my opinion though .

bulb size is 4157 for drl, is that what you used. i dont see many error free 4157 available, just a lot of 3157. will 3157 fit???

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

You typically won't find LED bulbs that are considered error free. What you really need is a LED flasher unit. You can get them at the link below. It's a simple swap. I've never bothered because if you have to go through all that trouble to take the bulb out, I can imagine how hard it would be to find the flasher unit on the car. We could get really lucky and the flasher unit is right behind the bulb but I'm guessing it's somewhere even crazier like behind the steering wheel. You only need to use a load resistor on a circuit if there is some type "bulb out" indicator that pops up when you replace a traditional bulb not designed to flash repetitively. I don't think our vehicles do that so load resistors are probably not necessary.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

I tried to check out the flashers that work with LEDs. They have them at the local parts store. My only problem is I didn't really know which one to get. All the local parts store Napa, autozone, advance auto, orielleys(spelling) do not have a flasher module for my DTS. They all told me that they cant even special order it. Now I'm not saying that a module from a regular ole chevy wont work just fine, its just that their books/computers are telling them that it wont. And like ya I don't know where its at. I went with the error free because it allowed me to not cut any of the wires on my car. Its silly but I'm paranoid about cutting any kind of wire on this car. There "shouldn't" be any problems doing it but "shouldn't" has gotten me into way to much trouble in the past.

The only difference between the 4157 and 3157 is the wattage. And its very minor. Pulled from another forum:

Lamp Filament Voltage Wattage Lumens
    3157 Major 12.8 26.88 402
    3457 Major 12.8 28.54 502
    4157 Major 12.8 28.54 402

EDIT: Found flasher location.

Its located on right side of the steering column.

Shouldn't have to cut any wires to replace the flasher. Once you/we figure out which flasher unit it is, it will be plug and play. It's a matter of knowing the pin-out and orientation of the connection points. I think I'll ask Rippy and see if he's able to look it up. Looks like we're in for some work to access that flasher unit though.

Yeah, everything on this car seems to be designed to discourage people.

I sent a request to Rippy's to see if he can help with the spec's of the flasher unit. Hopefully they'll be an equivalent LED flasher unit that will match. The one in that picture looks a lot different than most flasher units I've seen. But it could just be the aspect ratio skewing the actual dimensions. Otherwise the only solution we'll have is to utilize a load resistor. In order to use the load resistor though, you have to wire it in parallel with the bulb. and mount it at a location that can handle the heat from the heatsink (so no mounting on anything plastic).

jesus lord this is so complicated. on my lexus basically everything was plug and play and easy access. I want the LED look so bad, but IDK. I am hoping someone comes up with the play by play once we hash out the details

Well it doesn't look good. A guy I thought who had access to the parts is either unable or unwilling to help me with the schematics of the relay. Only solution I was provided was to buy the off-brand FSM. If I actually could buy the GM FSM, then I might be tempted to do so. Otherwise we'll have to do the resistor method to fix the LED hper flash.

5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I sent a request to Rippy's to see if he can help with the spec's of the flasher unit. Hopefully they'll be an equivalent LED flasher unit that will match. The one in that picture looks a lot different than most flasher units I've seen. But it could just be the aspect ratio skewing the actual dimensions. Otherwise the only solution we'll have is to utilize a load resistor. In order to use the load resistor though, you have to wire it in parallel with the bulb. and mount it at a location that can handle the heat from the heatsink (so no mounting on anything plastic).
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but did you ever figure out what to do about this. Did you put an electronic flasher or special error free LEDs? I currently have normal filament lamps tied in and hanging in my engine bay for a temp fix....

bro i just went with these and said the hell with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200627120528...84.m1497.l2649

Better look than the orange amber. Im not going to try and re-invent the wheel for the sake of LEDS anymore until someone else posts a successful how to.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 lsc View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but did you ever figure out what to do about this. Did you put an electronic flasher or special error free LEDs? I currently have normal filament lamps tied in and hanging in my engine bay for a temp fix....
    Sorry for the late response. I was never able to get the info on the relay. It wasn't even in the service manual I got for the car. I've decided to just wire in a resistor in parallel with the light. Once I order all the bulbs for the front of the car, I'll post what happened.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.