How to change headlight bulb(s) on a 2006 Cadillac DTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How to change headlight bulb(s) on a 2006 Cadillac DTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I changed out my parking light today with LED bulbs. I thought I would take some pics of the process ...
    phigment is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

How to change headlight bulb(s) on a 2006 Cadillac DTS

I changed out my parking light today with LED bulbs. I thought I would take some pics of the process I use and share it with the community. First time doing anything like this so be kind if something doesn't turn out right.

My car!
    100_0540.JPG

1. Pop the hood and remove all marked clips. Note that one of the clips is not in the picture and therefore could not be marked. Sorry.
    100_0542.JPG

Removing these clips is easy. Use a Philips screwdriver to poke the center down. They will snap down easily.
    100_0547.JPG

Once they are down use a flat head screw driver to gently pull them out. Once you have them all out, push the the center back out the top of the clip. This way they are ready to be reinstalled when you put everything back together.
    100_0549.JPG

2. Pull the radiator cover up and lay if over the engine. The back of the cover is used to support the radiator hose so just swing it back up and over the engine.

3. Remove all the remaining clips. This next picture shows all the clips as well as the bolts that need to be removed from under the hood.

100_0551.JPG

To get the clips out, use a flat head screwdriver to pull the center cap out.
    100_0554.JPG

One the center cap is pulled up, use your flat head screwdriver to get under and pry the entire clip out.
    100_0556.JPG

4. Remove the 3 bolts. Note that there are two bolts topside. Just remove the one marked.
    100_0557.JPG

The 3rd bolt is down in the hole. Use an extension and a small hand/magnet to get it out.
    100_0558.JPG

5. Now jack up one side of the car and put a jack stand under it(if it falls you will regret not doing this). Take the tire off and remove all the clips. Note there are 2 or 3 clips that didn't make it in this picture.
    100_0559.JPG

CONTINUED BELOW!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bhoppes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

Re: How to change headlight bulb(s) on a 2006 Cadillac DTS

WOW, nice post. However, it's too bad they couldn't engineer a car that is easier to change a bulb in. With my Seville, it's much easier.

6. After all the marked clips are removed, bend the cover back and over the brake caliper. You will not have access to the upper and lower "caves".
    100_0561.JPG

7. There is one bolt and two nuts that need to be removed from the lower cave. Disconnect the fog light. The picture is poor. Apologies.
    100_0563.JPG

8. There is one nut that is attached to the back of the headlight assembly. It is located in the upper cave.

100_0564.JPG

9. Once the last nut is removed, use a rubber mallet or the soft of your hand to hit the back of the bumper cover to get it to move forward. Notice that the two nuts you removed from the lower cave act as guides for holes in the upper part of the fender(upper cave).
    100_0570.JPG
    100_0571.JPG

You should easily be able to get you bumper cover to pull out about this far.
    100_0565.JPG

10. Remove your headlight assembly. This is trickier that it looks. You have to move it up at a certain angle and then maneuver it out. Be patient and be careful.

There is one big connector holding the assembly on. Disconnect it and you will have a much easier time installing new HID bulbs.

Repeat the process in reverse to reinstall. The procedure is the same for the other side.
    I hope this helps people. It seems like a lot but you'll notice that it all goes back together pretty fast. Good luck. Ill try to answer any questions that I can.

Well.. after looking at the photobucket pics.. I should have used all of them on photobucket. If the pictures from the first post are not large enough, please say so. Ill redo the entire post with larger pictures.

davidcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury II

great post, however we want to see some final pics of the outcome. also, can u write a post on changing interior bulbs to led's??

thanks

The little round parking lights are much brighter now. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I haven't replaced any interior bulbs thus far. If I do I will post some pics.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Doesn't seem all that terrible. Thanks for the write up.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Phigment...
    Great write up.
    Thanks.

Texas Jim

FAMSTR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DEV ILLE, 2000 DEVILLE

phigment: you saved me hundreds of coin. I've played with all these clips on my 2001 Seville to change radiator hoses, clamps, etc. 2006, but this car is long gone from my stable. now 2006 deville turn signal is out and car won't pass inspection. couldn't figure out headlight access from leering at it. Great post. thanks so much. Phooey on my dealer.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Hey Phigment. What kind of bulb did you use replace the parking light? With this guide, I might just give it a shot. I just to buy jack stands (which I need anyway). I'm ugrading all the "brown" light bulbs inside the car to LED as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    Hey Phigment. What kind of bulb did you use replace the parking light? With this guide, I might just give it a shot. I just to buy jack stands (which I need anyway). I'm ugrading all the "brown" light bulbs inside the car to LED as well.
    I originally got some LED's from ebay that were pretty cheap. They looked good for about two weeks and then started to flash like a strobe light. They looked good on the auction but were pretty cheap when got them. This is a link to the auction for the cheap sad little lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

I started reading about the error free bulbs and thought I would give them a try even though they arent required in the DTS. The new ones look better than the old and have a much better quality feel to them. I just got them in so we will see how they last. So far they haven't even blinked. The new bulbs:

I might eventually get some quality led bulbs that will replace the amber sections. You think white instead of amber would look good? Opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by davidcadillac View Post
    great post, however we want to see some final pics of the outcome. also, can u write a post on changing interior bulbs to led's??

thanks
    I'm not sure how different the 2007 DTS' are from the 2011's but I have started the upgrade in my car. The one thing though is that there are only 3 bulbs that I could see that weren't already LEDs: The 2 step courtesy lights and the trunk. I changed out the trunk and that is fairly straightforward. Just pop off the cover, pop out the old one out (careful, it's extremely hot will melt through your hand if you're not!), and pop the new one in. LEDs are polarized so make sure the circuit is energized (should be because that light stays on while the trunk is open. The step lights are somewhat straightforward except I haven't seen a way to remove the cover without breaking it. I ordered two from rippy so maybe I can gain some insight on how to access the bulb without breaking it, but I have had 0 luck from anybody here. The one bulb I did replace (after I busted the cover off trying to get to the bulb) looks awesome. It matches the "LED" theme the interior lighting as does the trunk. When I get the replacement covers, if I figure out the trick (or find out there is none) I'll post here at this thread I started that has now fallen to oblivion.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2011-dts.html

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    I originally got some LED's from ebay that were pretty cheap. They looked good for about two weeks and then started to flash like a strobe light. They looked good on the auction but were pretty cheap when got them. This is a link to the auction for the cheap sad little lights:

I started reading about the error free bulbs and thought I would give them a try even though they arent required in the DTS. The new ones look better than the old and have a much better quality feel to them. I just got them in so we will see how they last. So far they haven't even blinked. The new bulbs:

I might eventually get some quality led bulbs that will replace the amber sections. You think white instead of amber would look good? Opinion?
    How much space is in that housing for the parking light? I'm thinking of going with a larger bulb like the one in the link below. That way it'll have a more intense white light like the HIDs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...-WHP18-TAC.htm

I didn't get actual dimensions but by looking at it there is not a great deal of room where that little bulb is. The factory bulb is a 2825. The LED's that I put in were very close to the size of the actual bulb. This isn't to say that the LED from the link wont work. You might compare the length of a factory bulb to the length of that LED bulb. That would give you a good idea on depth at least.

If you have the old bulb could you just measure the length of the exposed bulb? Superbright provides all measurement spec's on their bulbs and I can compare the lengths which will probably be the defining factor of whether they will fit. I'm trying to keep the same circumfrence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.