Dropped off my 06' DTS for warranty repair, 3 months left of warranty - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Dropped off my 06' DTS for warranty repair, 3 months left of warranty in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by REVELATION13 I was driving my DTS and felt a bind/rub/catch in my steering even after the rack ...
    Superjim is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Picked up my 06' DTS from warranty repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by REVELATION13 View Post
    I was driving my DTS and felt a bind/rub/catch in my steering even after the rack and pinion replacement when making right turns also my light is flickering again and it shut off saturday night ,BUT ! it is the left driver side now instead of my last complaint of the passenger side .

I am thinking they switched my ballast to the driver side to test the ballast , When i dropped off the car today the service write up man, said yes thats how they test the ballast from the light ,but the other service man said they wouldn't do that Hmmmmm !

Well anyways i should get it back tomorrow hopefully fixed, i will post what happened.

Also going to find out the prices on extended warranty.

My courtesy vehicle is a 2011 SRX pretty cool car/suv.
    After they replaced the rack on mine, the little "CATCH" was gone, but still had a little rub, bind in the steering.
    They then replaced the intermediate steering shaft and now the steering feels like a brand new car again.
    I have not had any more issues with the lights since the ballasts were replaced.

Good luck on the GMPP warrabty...
    Here is where I got the best online price... and then my local dealer matched the online price, so naturally, I bought it from my local dealer.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm

Texas Jim

REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Thumbs down Re: Dropped off my 06' DTS for warranty repair, 3 months left of warranty

The service man called me up and said they need to keep my car 1 more day and are getting GM involved what ever that means, he said he couldn't feel the bind in my steering wheel , but I feel it all the time .

We will see what happens .

bill57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Deville

Re: Dropped off my 06' DTS for warranty repair, 3 months left of warranty

"Also going to find out the prices on extended warranty"

The authorized dealers you will find on the internet will have the lowest prices for the GMPP's - lower than any local dealer. Check them out and compare.
    REVELATION13 and REVELATION13 like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

REVELATION13,

I look forward to your update. Please let me know if you are satisfied with your vehicle when you get it back from your dealership.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

I got my car back today.

I called in at 6 am today and left a message letting the service advisor know that i knew of a intermediate steering shaft going bad in another 2006 DTS ,he called me back around 2PM today to let me know that the intermediate steering shaft was bad they replaced it and my ballast as well it was also replaced.

Thank everyone for your input !

REVELATION13

How does it drive now?
    I hope they fixed everything for you.

Texas Jim

The steering is smooth like you said ,the service man said it's like glass , I'm thankful for the warranty that i didn't even know i had ; ) until i went for a trans flush .

It drives really smooth ,but since driving the 2011 DTS and the 2011 SRX they make my car feel weak ! : (

Hopefully if anything go's wrong with my car it happens before the end of September.

i am grateful thanks Cadillac .

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    REVELATION13

How does it drive now?
    I hope they fixed everything for you.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by REVELATION13 View Post
    The steering is smooth like you said ,the service man said it's like glass

It drives really smooth ,but since driving the 2011 DTS and the 2011 SRX they make my car feel weak ! : (
    That's interesting...
    I am always SO GLAD to get "MY CAR" back.
    It runs better and drives / handles better, than anything I have ever drove as a loaner...

Texas Jim

I am not to be nit picking ,just getting credit where credit is due ,my battery has failed on me twice and had to have a cadillac Technician come out to give me a jump start ,the last tech told me to get the battery checked out ,i ignored his advice and didn't mention it to the service man .

Yesterday i had my front car brakes changed and i left my headlight on for about ten minutes and my battery died didn't start, i stopped by interstate battery were they are real friendly and check the draw and loads on your battery, my battery power drops so quick showing my battery cannot hold a charge very long, just enough to start, thats it.

Every time i'm driving and charging my iPhone it drains the battery, if i try and start my car the next day i will not start.

So to make a long story even longer i have to go back to the dealership for a new battery and to correct my steering wheel stance, they left it cockeyed after replacing the intermediate steering shaft.

I am sure they hate me right about now

That's interesting...
    I am always SO GLAD to get "MY CAR" back.
    It runs better and drives / handles better, than anything I have ever drove as a loaner...

Texas Jim

MeTaK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe

I've been looking for a low mileage DTS, and honestly have been avoiding the '06 for several reviews, and for understandable reasons..

Honestly i've looked at a few '06s, but i don't make gut decisions, but rather collect as much empirical data possible.. as my experience has been that with any new model or generation, the first year is always tricky, hit or miss, many quirks and issues are yet discovered, 2nd and 3rd year most of them are resolved, then after that content is removed for cost cutting measures and rebates from supply base.. it may sound rotten, but its pretty common practice across the industry..

Cheers!
    REVELATION13 and REVELATION13 like this.

dts066 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts lux 2

What happen with the lights going off and on when they want to the guy at dealership told me that I would have to pay out of pocket. That should be a safety recall i think

derekbroerse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxIII, 1996 Sedan Deville

Can these ballasts be tested on the bench somehow?

Are these ballasts available aftermarket? Or can some of these "universal" HID conversion kit parts be used?

CaddyMAK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS 2006

After they replaced the rack on mine, the little "CATCH" was gone, but still had a little rub, bind in the steering.
    They then replaced the intermediate steering shaft and now the steering feels like a brand new car again.

Texas Jim
    Hey Jim,

What was the feeling like with the handling when you had the rack and then the shaft replaced? I had my rack replaced, but now I am getting little pops from the column (at least I think) and there is some kind of faint zipper noise when I turn the steering wheel. The steering wheel is sloppy and does not return to center when turning left. It started pulling left. It is not an alignment issue because I had that done in December and then checked again last week (S.O.P. when installing new tires). When I discussed the issue with the mechanic a couple of days ago he said that nothing was wrong in the front suspension (most of it is brand new). The only things that was not touched were the control arm assemblies, coil springs and steering column. In December everything checked out at the Cadillac dealership and then again this past week. A total head scratcher.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyMAK View Post
    Hey Jim,

What was the feeling like with the handling when you had the rack and then the shaft replaced? I had my rack replaced, but now I am getting little pops from the column (at least I think) and there is some kind of faint zipper noise when I turn the steering wheel. The steering wheel is sloppy and does not return to center when turning left. It started pulling left. It is not an alignment issue because I had that done in December and then checked again last week (S.O.P. when installing new tires). When I discussed the issue with the mechanic a couple of days ago he said that nothing was wrong in the front suspension (most of it is brand new). The only things that was not touched were the control arm assemblies, coil springs and steering column. In December everything checked out at the Cadillac dealership and then again this past week. A total head scratcher.
    Thanks.
    If it is pulling left and your alignment is OK ... then "SOMETHING" is wrong is the front end.
    My first guess, is the rack may be loose... maybe one or more of the bolts are working loose.
    That would be the first thing I would check.
    The rack being loose would also cause it to not return to center.

The handling on mine didn't change very much... if at all from having the old rack and the new one.
    I caught it real early and had it fixed.

BIGDADDYCADDY07 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 dts 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance

revelation 13 my 07 dts lights would go out left 1day next day right they would work fine for two to three weeks at a time the decide to go out again they would flicker then shut down the bulbs were becoming un stable the flickering was the ballast trying to relight the bulbs the bulbs werecausing the ballast to go into safe mode until they were reset by turning on the ligts again the bulbs are going bad no problems the last 7 months im a night driver

----------

revelation 13 my 07 dts lights would go out left 1day next day right they would work fine for two to three weeks at a time the decide to go out again they would flicker then shut down the bulbs were becoming un stable the flickering was the ballast trying to relight the bulbs the bulbs werecausing the ballast to go into safe mode until they were reset by turning on the ligts again the bulbs are going bad changed mine no problems the last 7 months im a night driver

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.