How do you remove the door courtesy step light cover?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HartfordGuy
  • 1 Post By kadylac1
  • 1 Post By BlueAngel#07
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, How do you remove the door courtesy step light cover? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm trying to change out the bulb in the doors but I don't see a way to get to the ...
    ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

How do you remove the door courtesy step light cover?

I'm trying to change out the bulb in the doors but I don't see a way to get to the bulb without taking the cover off. I read the manual and it doesn't mention how to change any of the bulbs. I don't want to damage the covers trying to take them off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Re: How do you remove the door courtesy step light cover?

I was thinking the same thing. The manual is no help at all. Not even a real bulb chart.

I want to replace the door bulbs with LED style ones to match the overhead bulbs. It just looks odd that the doors still use incandescent bulbs when the rest of the car uses the blueish white LEDS.
    Gomaz likes this.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Yeah, I already bought the bulbs. I'm a little worried though. So I ordered the T10 bulbs that were recommended. I ordered 4 but nowhere did it say that each pack had 2 so now I have eight. I checked the bulbs for my 95 Deville and it turns out, these will fit. Since I had 4 extra, I said I'd go ahead and try to upgrade my 95 Deville. I decide to start with the doors because they seem the easiest. I'm having too hard of a time trying to pull out the housing so I go to try and change out the license plate light. Thank god I have the service manual for the Deville because taking out the license plate light is not intuitive at all. I replace the bulb and I eventually get it working. (It actually looks great since it's a white light and not that "about to die brown" color.) I decide to work on the door lights again and I finally get the bulb out. But it doesn't come out of the "holder". After trying my hardest (and nearly destroying the "holder" and the bulb) I realize that you can't pull the bulb out of the "holder". You have to order the entire assembly with the bulb soldered into the holder. Not a big deal, but it means that you can't order any of the LED replacements for it. This is because all the LED replacement bulbs are designed to go directly into the sockets they are replacing. While I can easily just order the original door lights from somebody, I'm afraid the DTS may have a similar scenario where you can't just pull the bulb out and slide in a replacement. But all that remains to be seen if I can ever figure out how to get the cover off.

kadylac1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CADILLAC DTS

Has anybody removed the door courtesy step light cover on their 2008 Cadillac DTS?

Eddie39 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS LUX I 44k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville

Use a thin blade screwdriver and go between the door and the lens of the light. There are four tabs that need to be pushed in to release the lens. Be careful since the tabs will break. Once the lens comes off you can release the light fixture then once you replace the bulb, snap the lens back on first before you reinstall it back in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie39
    Use a thin blade screwdriver and go between the door and the lens of the light. There are four tabs that need to be pushed in to release the lens. Be careful since the tabs will break. Once the lens comes off you can release the light fixture then once you replace the bulb, snap the lens back on first before you reinstall it back in the door.
    Thanks Eddie39. I already broke the front, driver-side courtesy step light lens, but now I will try it with your instructions.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    They're not to bad price wise to replace. Your better off doing like the other member stated, use a thin flat head screwdriver but pull the entire housing out being careful not to yank the wires lose. Easier to get the lens off without breaking the tabs and also you need to put it back together. It's almost impossible to put the lens back on with housing in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel#07
    They're not to bad price wise to replace. Your better off doing like the other member stated, use a thin flat head screwdriver but pull the entire housing out being careful not to yank the wires lose. Easier to get the lens off without breaking the tabs and also you need to put it back together. It's almost impossible to put the lens back on with housing in the door.
    Thanks BlueAngel#07. This is what my front-door Driver-side courtesy step light looks like currently. Lol.

image-3227644574.jpg

Classic Cadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

at one end of the plastic lamp housing is a release tab. I found a flat semi flexible feeler gauge or a thin metal flat blade with no sharp edges works well. then pull down on the end a little where the release
    clip is and you can now seperate the lens cover with little effort and get at the bulb.

I just ended up replacing the courtesy light housing I broke ($15), bought four LEDs ($14) and had a local shop do the install ($30).
    Attached Images
    Gomaz likes this.

dansou5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DTS

Where did you end up buying the LED's? Do they have the blue tint that the interior lights have?

Quote Originally Posted by dansou5
    Where did you end up buying the LED's? Do they have the blue tint that the interior lights have?
    I got the LEDs from a business on facebook called "LED illusions". I ordered the super-white LEDs and they match-up nicely, but you can ask if they carry an LED with more of a blue tint. They have a large selection at great prices.

Gomaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS II

I just did mine 2 weeks ago but I'm having a hard time getting bulbs for the vanitys

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomaz
    I just did mine 2 weeks ago but I'm having a hard time getting bulbs for the vanitys

Did mine a couple of weeks ago.
    They are the 74 bulb, try SUPERBRIGHTLEDS that's where I got mine...they are really bright.

----------

I used the 3 SMD led wide angle wedge base since it was the only one that had a forward facing led on it.
    Gomaz likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.