Upgrading remote fobs
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Upgrading remote fobs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My DTS came with the old style remote. As one of the buttons was worn I figured it was time ...
  1. #1
    HartfordGuy's Avatar
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Age
    48
    Posts
    785

    Upgrading remote fobs

    My DTS came with the old style remote. As one of the buttons was worn I figured it was time for an upgrade to the new type. Plus it was disappointing that such a nice car only came with a cheesy GM remote fob and the key just had a Cadillac decal on it. A far cry from the days of the 24 karat gold plated keys of the past eh? At least the new fobs have a nice full color crest on them.

    I finally found a new pair on Ebay that was reasonably priced and got them on the opening bid price.

    Piece of cake to program. No trip to the dealer required. Just follow the easy steps in the owners manual.


    Old one on the left. New ones on the right.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,438

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    That's good to know....
    I have been thinking of doing that also... just haven't got a round tuit...

    Texas Jim

  4. #3
    REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    37
    Posts
    108

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    My DTS came with the old style remote. As one of the buttons was worn I figured it was time for an upgrade to the new type. Plus it was disappointing that such a nice car only came with a cheesy GM remote fob and the key just had a Cadillac decal on it. A far cry from the days of the 24 karat gold plated keys of the past eh? At least the new fobs have a nice full color crest on them.

    I finally found a new pair on Ebay that was reasonably priced and got them on the opening bid price.

    Piece of cake to program. No trip to the dealer required. Just follow the easy steps in the owners manual.

    Which model is your new remote fob ? do you think it will work on a '06 ?

  5. #4
    Jammer53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    72
    Posts
    22

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    My 2006 DTS came with one worn out fob that didn't work. I went to the local dealer, and he wanted $169. for a new one, programming included. LOL.

    Went on eBay, bought TWO for $63 shipped, and spent all of 30 seconds programming both.

    (To REVEALATION13: The ones I bought are identical to the first one on the left in the posted picture.)

  6. #5
    REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    37
    Posts
    108

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer53 View Post
    My 2006 DTS came with one worn out fob that didn't work. I went to the local dealer, and he wanted $169. for a new one, programming included. LOL.

    Went on eBay, bought TWO for $63 shipped, and spent all of 30 seconds programming both.

    (To REVEALATION13: The ones I bought are identical to the first one on the left in the posted picture.)
    Thanks i was actually interested in the 2 to the right .

    yes they sure do charge a nice piece of change for those remotes not to mention $50 to program.

  7. #6
    HartfordGuy's Avatar
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Age
    48
    Posts
    785

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by REVELATION13 View Post
    Which model is your new remote fob ? do you think it will work on a '06 ?
    The left round one was my old one. I bought the two new square ones on the right.

    There seem to be two types of the square ones. One with a pull-out key that fits inside the remote, and one type without the key inside. I bought the one without the key inside.

    Oh, and some don't have the remote start button. Which is odd as I thought it was a standard feature.

    It worked on my 07, so you can try the 06.

  8. #7
    HartfordGuy's Avatar
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Age
    48
    Posts
    785

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by REVELATION13 View Post
    Thanks i was actually interested in the 2 to the right .

    yes they sure do charge a nice piece of change for those remotes not to mention $50 to program.

    I paid $79.95 for the pair of the new square ones. No cost to program them as you do it yourself using the driver information control buttons. Took literally a few seconds. No need to pay a dealer to press a button.

  9. #8
    Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    191

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    When I bought my car it came with just a single black wal mart spare key. I negotiated with the dealer for him to find and include a remote with a real key. Unfortunately he included a remote from a truck, because the trunk picture had an SUV with a tailgate. The keypad was discolored and sticky. Later I rented an Impala, and I didn't feel bad about switching the keypad because the Impala was dented and abused as a rental, and will probably have an unfortunate demise. I got the right keypad and it was newer and had the rubber feel to it. Only trade-off was that the unlock button was worn in the exact same way as HartfordGuy's. HartfordGuy you also answered a question I have had. I was not sure if the key the dealer gave me was a real Cadillac key or just a knock-off, because the later models I saw had a colored wreath and crest on one side, and mine has a monotone emblem on both sides. Now I know it's real! (Because you probably did not get yours from a shady used car place in Queens.) Thanks!

    Long and boring story, but in the most appropriate spot on this forum LOL.

  10. #9
    Rusty058's Avatar
    Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Milford, Connecticut.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    141

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    I paid $79.95 for the pair of the new square ones. No cost to program them as you do it yourself using the driver information control buttons. Took literally a few seconds. No need to pay a dealer to press a button.
    Just saw one of the new fobs for sale and the ad says a scan tool is needed for programming,can this be true?

  11. #10
    HartfordGuy's Avatar
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Age
    48
    Posts
    785

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty058 View Post
    Just saw one of the new fobs for sale and the ad says a scan tool is needed for programming,can this be true?
    Not on my 2007. I just followed the instructions in the owners manual. You use the info panel buttons to put it in "learn mode" then you press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on each remote to enter the new code. Turn the car off and you are done. I tested them and they now work. Easy as that.

  12. #11
    HartfordGuy's Avatar
    HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hartford, CT
    Age
    48
    Posts
    785

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Lev Blekher View Post
    When I bought my car it came with just a single black wal mart spare key. I negotiated with the dealer for him to find and include a remote with a real key. Unfortunately he included a remote from a truck, because the trunk picture had an SUV with a tailgate. The keypad was discolored and sticky. Later I rented an Impala, and I didn't feel bad about switching the keypad because the Impala was dented and abused as a rental, and will probably have an unfortunate demise. I got the right keypad and it was newer and had the rubber feel to it. Only trade-off was that the unlock button was worn in the exact same way as HartfordGuy's. HartfordGuy you also answered a question I have had. I was not sure if the key the dealer gave me was a real Cadillac key or just a knock-off, because the later models I saw had a colored wreath and crest on one side, and mine has a monotone emblem on both sides. Now I know it's real! (Because you probably did not get yours from a shady used car place in Queens.) Thanks!

    Long and boring story, but in the most appropriate spot on this forum LOL.
    I was looking at spare keys on Ebay too. There are definately blanks with just a round circle on them. Those must be the generics. I've seen some blanks with the black and white Cadillac crest for the DTS, but none in color. But if you search for a CTS key blank there are some available with full color crests on them.

    So maybe we need to ask the owners of newer DTSs. Do you keys have the full color emblems on them?



  13. #12
    Superjim's Avatar
    Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,438

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    My 2006 is "NOT" in color...
    It is a silver wreath and crest...

    Texas Jim

  14. #13
    hazcaddy's Avatar
    hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oakville, ON
    Posts
    418

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    My 2010 came with the square remotes (2) and both keys have the colored crests.

  15. #14
    Kenwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Premium Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    316

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    This may sound crazy to you guys, but I have the square remotes and I was thinking of gettiing an older round one because they are less bulky and take up less space in my pockets. I still want to keep the two square ones. Does anyone know if you can have 3 remotes working for one car? i.e., can I have two remotes programmed for Driver 1 and one remote programmed for Driver 2?

    Thanks,
    Kenwood

  16. #15
    Rusty058's Avatar
    Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Milford, Connecticut.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    141

    Re: Upgrading remote fobs

    ok,just purchased a new fob!! My boss owns a 2008 CTS and I always loved her fob.That appears to be one of the things Cadillac has improved since 2006
    HartfordGuy and HartfordGuy like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting