Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Upgrading remote fobs

9K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  ltdltc 
#1 · (Edited)
My DTS came with the old style remote. As one of the buttons was worn I figured it was time for an upgrade to the new type. Plus it was disappointing that such a nice car only came with a cheesy GM remote fob and the key just had a Cadillac decal on it. A far cry from the days of the 24 karat gold plated keys of the past eh? At least the new fobs have a nice full color crest on them.

I finally found a new pair on Ebay that was reasonably priced and got them on the opening bid price.

Piece of cake to program. No trip to the dealer required. Just follow the easy steps in the owners manual.

Old one on the left. New ones on the right.

See less See more
#3 ·
My DTS came with the old style remote. As one of the buttons was worn I figured it was time for an upgrade to the new type. Plus it was disappointing that such a nice car only came with a cheesy GM remote fob and the key just had a Cadillac decal on it. A far cry from the days of the 24 karat gold plated keys of the past eh? At least the new fobs have a nice full color crest on them.

I finally found a new pair on Ebay that was reasonably priced and got them on the opening bid price.

Piece of cake to program. No trip to the dealer required. Just follow the easy steps in the owners manual.

Which model is your new remote fob ? do you think it will work on a '06 ?

#6 ·
The left round one was my old one. I bought the two new square ones on the right.

There seem to be two types of the square ones. One with a pull-out key that fits inside the remote, and one type without the key inside. I bought the one without the key inside.

Oh, and some don't have the remote start button. Which is odd as I thought it was a standard feature.

It worked on my 07, so you can try the 06.

#4 ·
My 2006 DTS came with one worn out fob that didn't work. I went to the local dealer, and he wanted $169. for a new one, programming included. LOL.

Went on eBay, bought TWO for $63 shipped, and spent all of 30 seconds programming both.

(To REVEALATION13: The ones I bought are identical to the first one on the left in the posted picture.)

#8 ·
When I bought my car it came with just a single black wal mart spare key. I negotiated with the dealer for him to find and include a remote with a real key. Unfortunately he included a remote from a truck, because the trunk picture had an SUV with a tailgate. The keypad was discolored and sticky. Later I rented an Impala, and I didn't feel bad about switching the keypad because the Impala was dented and abused as a rental, and will probably have an unfortunate demise. I got the right keypad and it was newer and had the rubber feel to it. Only trade-off was that the unlock button was worn in the exact same way as HartfordGuy's. HartfordGuy you also answered a question I have had. I was not sure if the key the dealer gave me was a real Cadillac key or just a knock-off, because the later models I saw had a colored wreath and crest on one side, and mine has a monotone emblem on both sides. Now I know it's real! (Because you probably did not get yours from a shady used car place in Queens.) Thanks!

Long and boring story, but in the most appropriate spot on this forum LOL.

#11 · (Edited)
I was looking at spare keys on Ebay too. There are definately blanks with just a round circle on them. Those must be the generics. I've seen some blanks with the black and white Cadillac crest for the DTS, but none in color. But if you search for a CTS key blank there are some available with full color crests on them.

So maybe we need to ask the owners of newer DTSs. Do you keys have the full color emblems on them?

#14 · (Edited)
This may sound crazy to you guys, but I have the square remotes and I was thinking of gettiing an older round one because they are less bulky and take up less space in my pockets. I still want to keep the two square ones. Does anyone know if you can have 3 remotes working for one car? i.e., can I have two remotes programmed for Driver 1 and one remote programmed for Driver 2?

Thanks,
Kenwood

#16 ·
This may sound crazy to you guys, but I have the square remotes and I was thinking of gettiing an older round one because they are less bulky and take up less space in my pockets. I still want to keep the two square ones. Does anyone know if you have have 3 remotes working for one car? i.e., can I have two remotes programmed for Driver 1 and one remote programmed for Driver 2?

Thanks,
Kenwood
True. The round ones fit your hand better too. But I like the look of the square ones better. The round ones have too much of a Chevy look to me.

Check your owners manual for the programming. I though I read that you can have several remotes.

#17 ·
Wow the reply box changed...

Well speaking of keys, the newer switchblade keys are really nice with the textured plastic and color logos for all brands. It's good to keep up since so many lowly import brands even have key fobs that are not plain. I saw a bunch of them at the Mainstreet in Motion event, while some older models still had the round keys and remotes. More on the event in another forum.

#25 ·
I think I have a thread somewhere on here with the steps. I bought a newer key, the type that has the nicer crest instead of the black sticker. I used my old key to put the car into the mode where it will then accept the new key.

Also, Lowe's now has a device that you can lay your old key on and then your new key and it will make the new one a clone of the old one.

#27 ·
The remotes I ordered were for a later DTS. Whatever year they changed designs. I bought them on ebay for around $25 I think. The insides are the same as the old ones from what I can tell, they can be programmed using the buttons on the dash, you will need to program your old ones at the same time if you want to keep using them. I put the new ones as 1 and 2, I was able to buy them with 1 and 2 on them, and the old remotes as 3,4, and 5.

I found the thread I created when I bought mine. I mentioned in it that I did not buy the "smart key" type. I must have put it in there for a reason so I figured I would put it here too.

#28 · (Edited)
I had my new Cadillac key cut at a True Value(Ace Hardware) store. It cost me .93 cents and it took a couple of minutes. The programming was easy too. You use your working(original key) and turn your ignition to the ACC position without starting the car. Then, turn the ignition the off position and remove the original-working key. Now place your new key in the ignition and turn to the ACC position without starting your car. Eventually you will receive confirmation that the new key was accepted and you can now try to start the car with it. My new key will start my car but will not open the driver's door for some reason-no worries though because I have a key fob to lock and unlock the doors. Also, if you need a blank Caddy key, there are many to be found on Amazon or Ebay for about $20. I hope that this helps you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.