handling/feel of '10 DTS ''performance'' compared to '93 Buick
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, handling/feel of '10 DTS ''performance'' compared to '93 Buick in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Happy Father's Day everyone: is it 'me' or the car? '10 DTS performance, 12k miles .... when i drive it ...
    SHOWGIRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Awesome 2010 DTS Premium(former CTS '10 owner)

handling/feel of '10 DTS ''performance'' compared to '93 Buick

Happy Father's Day everyone:

is it 'me' or the car?
    '10 DTS performance, 12k miles
    .... when i drive it (not too often) i notice the gas and brake pedal are very 'touchy' - doesn't take much effort to get a reaction. If i'm not careful i could have DH go thru the windshild on a 'stop' !!!
    I'm used to my '93 Buick Roadmaster Wagon (also a V8) that seems to need an elephant's foot to start and stop it !!!
    Also notice the Buick's steering wheel has way more 'play' in it than the DTS.. - i'm comparing speed to speed (i realize the DTS's has ''Magnasteer' and not sure of the old Buick also has it but doubtful) while the DTS does 'not' have MRC it's still way more 'controlled' than my buick.
    I hope there's not wrong with the DTS and that i'm just used to the 'loosie-goosie' feel of the Buick..(pedals/steering)
    Thanks in advance for any replies ! Showgirl..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Re: handling/feel of '10 DTS ''performance'' compared to '93 Buick

I notice some of those things seeing that I drive a Deville and a DTS currently. The power steering in my Deville seems to be much more powerful than my DTS. I can turn my wheels with my pinkie in my Deville, but have to use at least 2 fingers to steer my DTS. I imagine the changes that have been made were due to complaints and recommended changes.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL View Post
    Happy Father's Day everyone:

is it 'me' or the car?
    '10 DTS performance, 12k miles
    .... when i drive it (not too often) i notice the gas and brake pedal are very 'touchy' - doesn't take much effort to get a reaction. If i'm not careful i could have DH go thru the windshild on a 'stop' !!!
    I'm used to my '93 Buick Roadmaster Wagon (also a V8) that seems to need an elephant's foot to start and stop it !!!
    Also notice the Buick's steering wheel has way more 'play' in it than the DTS.. - i'm comparing speed to speed (i realize the DTS's has ''Magnasteer' and not sure of the old Buick also has it but doubtful) while the DTS does 'not' have MRC it's still way more 'controlled' than my buick.
    I hope there's not wrong with the DTS and that i'm just used to the 'loosie-goosie' feel of the Buick..(pedals/steering)
    Thanks in advance for any replies ! Showgirl..
    Showgirl,

Your DTS sounds perfectly normal to me.

There is a totally different "FEEL" to the cars for a number of reasons.
    The DTS is "DRIVE BY WIRE" which means that there is no throttle cable from the accelerator to the engine. The computer tells the throttle body how much gas to give it... based on how much you push the pedal.
    This is called "TIP IN" and can be adjusted by the dealer if you insist on it.
    The Buick still used throttle cable.

The steering on the DTS is now RACK AND PINION whereas on the Buick it was still the old RECIRCULATING BALL type of steering.
    Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT types of steering.

The ride and CONTROL part is also different, because the Buick uses a completely different suspension setup.
    It has coil springs and shocks on all four wheels and has a live real axle and is not 4 wheel independent suspension.
    The DTS "IS" 4 wheel independent suspension with GAS FILLED STRUTS on the front and AIR ADJUSTABLE shocks on the back.

The combination of those makes the DTS much more controllable, especially if you ever have to make a SUDDEN EVASIVE MOVE with the steering wheel.

Texas Jim

Hello - thanks to you both for replying ...while i don't understand all the details mentioned causing the difference in feel/handling between my DTS and Buick i get the 'picture' that they're two different cars built at different times + the DTS has more 'refined/updated' parts.
    i would not ask the dealer to 'adjust' the pedals (i.e. loosen them up) ...i'll just get used to 'how' to handle the DTS and accept it for what it 'is' and 'does'.
    I really appreciate the effort that went into these replies !!!
    again - many thanks ! SG

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWGIRL View Post
    Hello - thanks to you both for replying ...while i don't understand all the details mentioned causing the difference in feel/handling between my DTS and Buick i get the 'picture' that they're two different cars built at different times + the DTS has more 'refined/updated' parts.
    i would not ask the dealer to 'adjust' the pedals (i.e. loosen them up) ...i'll just get used to 'how' to handle the DTS and accept it for what it 'is' and 'does'.
    I really appreciate the effort that went into these replies !!!
    again - many thanks ! SG
    Actually he wouldn't LOOSEN the pedals... he would adjust the computer so the engine wouldn't REACT so quickly when you mash on the accelerator.

But you are right... they are two totally different cars, built in two different eras for two totally different tasks.

It took me a little time to adjust to my DTS also.
    My Chevy truck has the same kid of steering and accelerator that your Buick has.
    When I drive it for several days, then get in the DTS... I tend to over correct on the steering and accelerator for a few minutes, till I adjust to it again.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    Actually he wouldn't LOOSEN the pedals... he would adjust the computer so the engine wouldn't REACT so quickly when you mash on the accelerator.

But you are right... they are two totally different cars, built in two different eras for two totally different tasks.

My Chevy truck has the same kid of steering and accelerator that your Buick has.
    When I drive it for several days, then get in the DTS... I tend to over correct on the steering and accelerator for a few minutes, till I adjust to it again.

Texas Jim
    -------------------------------
    Actually he wouldn't LOOSEN the pedals... he would adjust the computer so the engine wouldn't REACT so quickly when you mash on the accelerator. ooohhhh o.k. good thing NASA doesn't depend on me !!

But you are right... they are two totally different cars, built in two different eras for two totally different tasks. I guess i shouldn't have used my other car as an example/comparrison...- but that's the only car i've driven since '93 and no other point of reference.

My Chevy truck has the same kid of steering and accelerator that your Buick has. yes !! you touch the steering wheel and it 'reacts' immediately ! (at least mine does)
    I'm just happy there is nothing 'wrong' -i'm not going to have the computer 'adjusted'...i could be 'courting trouble' - LOL ...i'll just have to make sure i'm not so 'heavy-footed' on the brake & gas pedals...oh yes...and also tell DH to hold on 'tighter' for a while. LOL Many thanks for your help ! Showgirl

Texas Jim

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Appreciate the sentiment but Fathers' Day isn't for another 2 weeks ...

Re: handling/feel of '10 DTS ''premium' model compared to '93 Buick

Texas Jim
    --------------------------
    Hi - just realized that i listed my DTS as a ''performance'' level - it is a 'premium'' level under the 2010 model designation...sorry about that ! it is the level 'before' the Platinum (mrc on that one - we don't have it)

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

So I can have them make the car take off with even less pedal pressure? Wow I'm getting that done!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.