2006 DTS Tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 DTS Tires? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone. My first post in these forums, as I've recently purchased my first (but I promise,not my last) Cadillac. ...
    Jammer53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS

2006 DTS Tires?

Hello everyone. My first post in these forums, as I've recently purchased my first (but I promise,not my last) Cadillac.

I read through the second sticky but the last post in there was in 2008, so I'm thinking that there must be some more current tire specs/models available.

Currently, I have Continentals. All tires are 235/55/R17. Front tires are pretty beat, but back ones are like new. The car must have been driven a lot in winter, because the clear coat on the factory rims is pretty much shot.

I've just purchased a new set of factory rims, and thought I'd post here to get some ideas from the folks who should know.

Here's my game plan:

Put four new tires on my four new rims for non-winter driving. I'm mostly looking for a tire that will have strong sidewalls, and a more-than-adequate wet road grip. Comfort and silence are extremely important, otherwise, why even buy a Caddy? I do alot of highway driving, back and forth to work. But I'm also planning on going to Maine on vacation this year (from NY), so yeah, highway driving.

Next:

I'm going to keep the Continentals in the back, on the beat rims for winter driving, as they have about 9/32's of tread left on them. They are Procontact M&S tires.

I'm going to ask also for your advise on winter tires for the front (which will, again, be mounted on the beat rims).

Finally, I'd like to know if any of you have a preference as to what type of wax (or other product I may not know about) to put on my new rims, so that the clear coat stays pristine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark58 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance

Re: 2006 DTS Tires?

Wax for the rims is Colonite 845 Insulator wax. it will last through winter on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark58 View Post
    Wax for the rims is Colonite 845 Insulator wax. it will last through winter on wheels.
    Thanks Mark. I'll get some.

No one has any recommendations for new tires?

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

General Altimax RT
    Affordable and are working great for our Caddy's.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=139

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

I did a lot of research when I needed new tires last year.
    I ended up puttting a set of Yokohama Advan S4 on my 2006 DTS about 20,000 miles ago.
    The factory tires were BridgeSTONE Turanza.
    I hated the Bridgestones.... I love the Yokohama Advan...

They are so much smoother and quieter than the Bridgestones.

Texas Jim

amunderdog

Thanks for the link. I'll check them out.

Superjim (Texas Jim)

Tire Rack doesn't show a 235/55/R17 in the Yokohama Advan S4.

Is your 06 DTS sporting 18" wheels?

Did you have a second choice that you recall?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer53 View Post
    amunderdog

Thanks for the link. I'll check them out.

Superjim (Texas Jim)

Tire Rack doesn't show a 235/55/R17 in the Yokohama Advan S4.
    Is your 06 DTS sporting 18" wheels?
    Did you have a second choice that you recall?

Thanks.
    Yes I do have 18 inch wheels.
    Looks like they have 225/55R-17 and 235/50R-17 but not 235/55/17..
    My other choice was going to be the Goodyear Comfort Treads... I think.
    That was last year but I believe that was my 2nd choice.

I normally buy Michelin, but at that time the only 18 inch Michelin was the different SPORT models, and I wanted something smooth and quiet.
    I was tired of the hard ride and noisy tires.

Texas Jim

Jay'sFavCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 pearl DTS to 06 diamond DTS

I had the Continental Touring Contact AS( $250 a tire ) on my last 2000 dts and they were great for the money. My new 2006 came with some cheap Raptor tires ( $125 a tire online price ) they are brand new and they are good for the money. Before that there was a set of Goodyear Eagles on there and they were loud, but they were also worn down pretty well. My Continentals were great and lasted 60,000 miles before one dry rotted, don't know why only one did ( I lived across from the beach in florida,but ??) If money was no issue, Continental's are the way to go, if you are on a budget the Raptor's aren't much different for $500 difference. That is my 2 cents.

Texas Jim

Thanks. My brother in law is the assistant manager at our local Goodyear shop and he's been telling me to get the Comfort Treads, but I wanted to hear some other ideas. With the discounts he can get me, I'd be paying around $511 for four. Not bad. Plus I'd get free life time rotation every 5000 miles. If I bought from Tire Rack, he'd mount them for me, but I'd be on my own if I had any problems.

Jay

I have the Continental ProContacts on there now and they're kind of clunky to me. I don't know how they stack up to your Contact AS, but I'm not impressed by the product. Expecially at $1000 a set. But thank for your input just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer53 View Post
    Texas Jim

Thanks. My brother in law is the assistant manager at our local Goodyear shop and he's been telling me to get the Comfort Treads, but I wanted to hear some other ideas. With the discounts he can get me, I'd be paying around $511 for four. Not bad. Plus I'd get free life time rotation every 5000 miles. If I bought from Tire Rack, he'd mount them for me, but I'd be on my own if I had any problems.

Jay

I have the Continental ProContacts on there now and they're kind of clunky to me. I don't know how they stack up to your Contact AS, but I'm not impressed by the product. Expecially at $1000 a set. But thank for your input just the same.
    If you can get the Comfort Treads that cheap... that's the way to go.

Jim

REVELATION13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac DTS

Thumbs up If your looking for performance and spending a lil extra is not a problem

If your looking for performance and spending a lil extra is not a problem then this what i just picked up for $950

Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...pe=CAR-SUV-VAN

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.