Fleetwood Brougham/ D'Elegance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Fleetwood Brougham/ D'Elegance in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Is there a DTS equivalent?...
    AeroG is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Fleetwood Brougham/ D'Elegance

Is there a DTS equivalent?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Re: Fleetwood Brougham/ D'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by AeroG View Post
    Is there a DTS equivalent?
    The DTS comes in four models.

Base @ $46K
    Luxury @ $51K
    Premium @ $54K
    Platinum @ $59K

The Platinum has a unique interior, ie: lighter wood trim, lighted step plates, more features, etc. But nothing like the old multi-buttoned interiors of the past.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Escalade Premium

Unfortunately, the answer is NO. My '08 Platinum was a very nice auto, but in the back of my mind I considered it more a successor to the Park Avenue Ultra than any Cadillac.

Having grown up in Fleetwoods and learning to drive in one, the current DTS, while a nice car, pales in comparison. Those d'Elegance seats were more comfortable than many a sofa! And while those cars were HUGE with the primary focus being comfort, they still handled surprisingly well.

My father chastises me to this day for not purchasing my '91 Brougham d'Elegance at lease end, especially with GMAC offering me a more than attractive buy-out price (but I was younger and hot headed at the time!).

We discuss all the time that if Cadillac would re-introduce that car with updated styling, all the modern conveniences, but keep the interior pretty much the same, the factory would run 25 hours a day and still not keep up with demand!

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post
    Unfortunately, the answer is NO. My '08 Platinum was a very nice auto, but in the back of my mind I considered it more a successor to the Park Avenue Ultra than any Cadillac.

Having grown up in Fleetwoods and learning to drive in one, the current DTS, while a nice car, pales in comparison. Those d'Elegance seats were more comfortable than many a sofa! And while those cars were HUGE with the primary focus being comfort, they still handled surprisingly well.

My father chastises me to this day for not purchasing my '91 Brougham d'Elegance at lease end, especially with GMAC offering me a more than attractive buy-out price (but I was younger and hot headed at the time!).

We discuss all the time that if Cadillac would re-introduce that car with updated styling, all the modern conveniences, but keep the interior pretty much the same, the factory would run 25 hours a day and still not keep up with demand!
    But, sadly, they are too stupid to realize that...
    I would be one of the first in line to buy one.

Texas Jim

I'm sure a top upholstery shop could take the pillowed seats from say, a 1993 Fleetwood and put the material in a DTS. You'd loose the side airbags and the heated & cooled seat features though. It would be pretty neat though eh?

I think this is the last series that still had the pillowed leather seats.

Oh! and how about rear wheel opening skirts?

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by rjm View Post

It all comes down to the numbers. The majority of people here are throw backs to the day of big cars with frame on construction. Look back 15 years ago when GM killed off the B bodies. They were great cars but towards the end they just didn't sell. The market was moving towards FWD. I wish my DTS was rear wheel drive. It's sad to see the demise of the DTS. I like a full size car that seats 5 and has a trunk that I can actually carry something in. When GM finally gets something right is when GM pulls the plug.

383 LT1 SS

_ike_ is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Luxury III

Quote Originally Posted by HartfordGuy View Post
    I'm sure a top upholstery shop could take the pillowed seats from say, a 1993 Fleetwood and put the material in a DTS. You'd loose the side airbags and the heated & cooled seat features though. It would be pretty neat though eh?

I think this is the last series that still had the pillowed leather seats.
    Not all of them had those seats. There are plenty of that body with just large leather seats that have ridges going front to back. I would prefer either to the DTS seat. I think the mid-nineties fleetwood seats were great because they were large and comfy and had heaters in them.

I would like to find one and replace the DTS with it. The problem I have is I just found out from three different dealers that my car is worth about $8k less retail than I paid for it 3 months ago. They all offered me around $11k less than I paid.

jock82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. It was black with a black interior and had the sunroof, most options for that period. I drove it 12 years. It had 75,000 mile when I traded for a 1994 Concours. I thought the Fleetwood was the ultimate Cadillac. I liked it better that the Eldorado because it was big and comfortable and lot of room. I still have the 94 Concours, plus a 2009 DTS, and an 89 de Ville. I have a 1976 Olds 98 Recency that has the huge velour seats and it has a lot of room on the inside. I bought it new. I wish I still had the Fleetwood. It was purchased by a funeral home for use there. My idea of luxury is lots of room in side. The DTS replacement seems like a BIG step backwards to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jock82 View Post
    I had a 1983 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. It was black with a black interior and had the sunroof, most options for that period. I drove it 12 years. It had 75,000 mile when I traded for a 1994 Concours. I thought the Fleetwood was the ultimate Cadillac. I liked it better that the Eldorado because it was big and comfortable and lot of room. I still have the 94 Concours, plus a 2009 DTS, and an 89 de Ville. I have a 1976 Olds 98 Recency that has the huge velour seats and it has a lot of room on the inside. I bought it new. I wish I still had the Fleetwood. It was purchased by a funeral home for use there. My idea of luxury is lots of room in side. The DTS replacement seems like a BIG step backwards to me.
    I don't think we will ever see cars as big as those grand Fleetwoods again. I miss them too. The DTS however is much roomier inside than the CTS. I rented both before I decided which one to buy. Everytime I walk back to my DTS in a parking lot full of cars I am still amazed how big it looks compared to the crap boxes parked around it.

Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII

I don't think we will ever see cars as big as those grand Fleetwoods again. I miss them too. The DTS however is much roomier inside than the CTS. I rented both before I decided which one to buy. Everytime I walk back to my DTS in a parking lot full of cars I am still amazed how big it looks compared to the crap boxes parked around it.
    Trying not to be "Facebook like" I like your post! After having driven either a 2008 E-350 bus or a 2002 Ford van I can wait to ride home after a bone jarring day at work

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

I don't know how great the XTS will be with a V6 and being smaller, but the 2012 Chrysler 300 Executive is a great car with V8, real wood, high-end leather, and all the DTS special features and more. Only thing is the ride won't be as plush, but I'm sure that trim level will get softer tuning than the sports and base models.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Lev Blekher View Post
    I don't know how great the XTS will be with a V6 and being smaller, but the 2012 Chrysler 300 Executive is a great car with V8, real wood, high-end leather, and all the DTS special features and more. Only thing is the ride won't be as plush, but I'm sure that trim level will get softer tuning than the sports and base models.
    Looking at the interiors of both vehicles, the XTS blows the Chrysler out of the water. The exterior for the XTS looks kind of bland. But since it's getting a V6 powerplant, I'm wondering how that lineup will stand next to the CTS-V. Unless they plan on pricing it at $60k+.....

Lev Blekher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES

The interior of the XTS that is online is a concept. The production will be a fair comparison

Kenwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Premium Platinum

Oh! and how about rear wheel opening skirts?

Heyyyy, you're onto something there. I LIKE that!

Kenwood

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.