Maybe buying a 2006 dts some info please !
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Maybe buying a 2006 dts some info please ! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ive had my 2000 sts for nearly 3 years now and it still rides well but a little on the ...
    quebec#1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 dts Cadillac 2000 sts balck on black

Maybe buying a 2006 dts some info please !

Ive had my 2000 sts for nearly 3 years now and it still rides well but a little on the harsh side.
    Still have that enoying shimmy that ive tried to get rid off for the last 3 years.
    Ok lets get to the point. I saw a 2006 DTS tonight with 100,000km's or 60,000 miles original owner husband passed away in March and wife is looking at downsizing to a smaller car.
    Although cranky the woman warmed up to me after a talk and a rode test.
    I think this is a standard dts , no shinny chrome wheels, no sun roof but does have turn signal in side mirrors & Ultrasonic parking assist . I didnt noticed but did the standard dts models come with heated seats ?
    Its very clean and looks all original and drives way better and smoother than my 2000 sts.
    Any major problems with the 2006 models ?
    Do they all come standard with heated seats ? (I really like them for those cold winter days !)
    One thing she did say that their was a small oil leak and that her dealer would take car of it or i could take care of it if i buy it. She didnt really know what caused or is causing this oil leak but the car still has warranty till october 2011. oIl leak common on these cars ????
    Id like to also know if this model has the 4/6/8 cyl thing on the highway ?
    Not buying a 4 cyl honda here but would the dts be a little better on gas than the 2000 sts ?
    Thanks for you help !
    Here is a pic of the car. P.S like the blue color but not a fan of light beige cream interiors but this one is clean !
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

Re: Maybe buying a 2006 dts some info please !

No cylinder deactivation. Yep they still leak oil. Valve covers from my personal experience with 2 2006s. Both have been the rear valve cover my current one leaks worse then my first. Heated seats are not standard and the car can be optioned pretty bare bones. Tire vibrations can also be an issue.

2006+ DTS don't do so well in MPGs as the older Devilles did. A non Performance one will get marginally better MPGs-L/100km because of the gearing.

I thought they had the 4 6 8 option like the impala ss 8cyl. 2006 models and above.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

No cylinder deactivation.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Leo George Jr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black

I love my 2006, no leaks or issues. I have 40,000 miles on mine. What is she asking for it if you don't mind me asking?

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

I get 24-25 mpg on the highway and 18 city. Combined avg is 21 if I don't drive too aggressive. These DTSs love to go! Far more comfortable than the STS or CTS. Extremely roomy back seat and I have plenty room up front for my 6'3" body.

Heated seats were optional. Look for the switches on the door panels if it has them. It may have the built in Cadillac remote start. Check the key fob for a circle symbol above the lock/unlock buttons. If it has the remote start you won't need the heated seat.

No real common problem areas. Some people have had valve cover leaks, but any car can have that. I think a flickering headlamp due to a bad ballast is another complaint I've read about on the 06s. I don't know if it a widespread issue. Overall the 06-12 DTS series has been far better than the previous generation Devilles.

I think you will find that everyone here will testify how much they love to drive their DTS.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

The annoying shimmy is still present in some 06 and beyond DTSs and Lucernes, but not all. I felt it in some new and used vehicles I test drove when I was shopping.

As stated, check the upper front door panels for the heated / cooled seat switches. Heated seats were a requirement for my wife. Cooled seats were a requirement for me. The DTS seat heaters / coolers work great. My Lexus, not so much, at least in a driver's seat. (A common problem).

If you want a DTS w/ best MPG, avoid the performance edition. I would look for a Lux II / III.

HartfordGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1968 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv View Post
    The annoying shimmy is still present in some 06 and beyond DTSs and Lucernes, but not all. I felt it in some new and used vehicles I test drove when I was shopping.

I think alot of the shimy issues are tire issues. I have the Michelins and the ride is smooth as glass.

From what I've read DTS owners don't like the Bridgestone and Continental tires for noise and/or vibration.

Jay'sFavCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 pearl DTS to 06 diamond DTS

I had the Continentals on my last 2000 dts and they were the best riding and quietest tire ive ever had. But I do know some that love the Michelin and that is what mine came with and I didn't like them at all. No shimmy on my 2006 dts, yet!!

Rusty058 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxII

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said.Smoothest car I've ever owned.I did have the ballast problem and the valve cover leak,both were fixed under warranty.Since your still under warranty the leak should be covered with a small deductable.I've never known a cranky DTS owner,at least not on this forum,lol

$13,000 canadian. She would set up a date at the dealer to fix the problem.

When i drove it it was the smoothest car that ive rode in in a long time . Thanks for the info guys i will keep you guys updated. Still love the 2000 sts but she is getting tired.
    Just saw another 2006 dts advertised at $8000 but it has 188,000km. Probaly worth the $5000 more for a mint dts with 88,000 km less.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by quebec#1 View Post
    Ive had my 2000 sts for nearly 3 years now and it still rides well but a little on the harsh side.
    Still have that enoying shimmy that ive tried to get rid off for the last 3 years.
    Ok lets get to the point. I saw a 2006 DTS tonight with 100,000km's or 60,000 miles original owner husband passed away in March and wife is looking at downsizing to a smaller car.
    Although cranky the woman warmed up to me after a talk and a rode test.
    I think this is a standard dts , no shinny chrome wheels, no sun roof but does have turn signal in side mirrors & Ultrasonic parking assist . I didnt noticed but did the standard dts models come with heated seats ?
    Its very clean and looks all original and drives way better and smoother than my 2000 sts.
    Any major problems with the 2006 models ?
    Do they all come standard with heated seats ? (I really like them for those cold winter days !)
    One thing she did say that their was a small oil leak and that her dealer would take car of it or i could take care of it if i buy it. She didnt really know what caused or is causing this oil leak but the car still has warranty till october 2011. oIl leak common on these cars ????
    Id like to also know if this model has the 4/6/8 cyl thing on the highway ?
    Not buying a 4 cyl honda here but would the dts be a little better on gas than the 2000 sts ?
    Thanks for you help !
    Here is a pic of the car. P.S like the blue color but not a fan of light beige cream interiors but this one is clean !
    Northstar is a great engine, but it has had its growing pains over the years.

1. Early models had head gasket/head bolt problems.
    2. They also had oil leaks from the 2 piece block.
    3. Latest models had an oil pan leak at--guess what--about 60,000 miles.

Here is a simplistic description of the problem.
    1. there is a thick aluminum gasket between the pan and the bottom of the block.
    2. this gasket has a thin bead of rubber in the middle of the perimeter of this gasket.
    3. After perhaps 60,000 miles or so, that rubber bead wears down. When that happens, you cannot tighten the bolts anymore because of the metal/alum gasket.
    4. Result = oil leaks.
    5. Typical dealer charge for this repair (which includes dropping the suspension of the vehicle) = $1800 circa.
    6. From what I understand, the replacement gasket has the same design as the original. In other words, be prepared for another repair about 60,000 miles down the road.

Thanks ! I doubt that i will rack up another 60,000miles so if it is under warranty i think i will try and go for it.

Ok so do you guys think $11500 is a good deal ? Of course taxes and license extra. Im going in the morning to close the deal seems like the market for this type of car is not all that great right now !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.