Nitrogen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Nitrogen in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; In November I put Nitrogen in the tires on my company car, which is a SUV. I liked that the ...
    Leo George Jr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black

Nitrogen

In November I put Nitrogen in the tires on my company car, which is a SUV. I liked that the pressure didn't move much due to the outside temperatures. I noticed about 1 MPG increase in mileage in winter. The ride was a little smoother, and I have knobby tires on it.
    Today, I had a TPMS sensor put on my DTS, so I had them do the Nitrogen while it was in the shop. I can't comment on MPG yet, but the ride is unbelievably better.
    When I left the shop all 4 tires read 30, I drove 30 minutes home and all 4 tires read 33. The ride is very much smoother. Thought I would share the info with the board.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jay'sFavCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 pearl DTS to 06 diamond DTS

Re: Nitrogen

Nice!! I was also told that it helps prevent blow outs and if they do happen they will not be as severe.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

I'd love to find someone in my area that offers it.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Costco routinely puts it in, in fact you have to tell them if you DON'T want it.

I found it keeps tire pressures up, you don't need to top them off with air as often.

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Not a member; don't think they'll put in for non-member. If they do let me know and I'll go to one.

hazcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS Premium, '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)

Stu:

Nah, you have to be a member. However, I have noticed in the last couple of months a whole bunch of GM dealers around here are advertizing it. In fact, I took my car in on Tuesday to get the left headlight assessed as to why it wouldn't go High Beam, took it back today when the new unit was in to get it installed, and saw all the brand new Nitrogen advertisement in the service drop-off bays that weren't there 2 days ago.

You may want to check to see if the Caddy dealer in your area is now doing it.

ltdltc is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

The air in my tires currently has 78% of Nitrogen and I didn't pay anything for it.

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Nitrogen in tires is the biggest scam out there. Itdltc is right in that regular air is already composed of 78% N. Nitrogen as a gas is inert, and won't support combustion. It is used in aircraft tires, etc. Obviously, if you're slamming unto a carrier deck and in engaged in high speed and mass braking with high temperatures, there is benefit to using nitrogen. But in regular car tires, the benefits are negligble. The tire retailers try to tell us that tires don't leak as much with nitrogen, but do the math, and you'll see that gains are virtually too small to notice. Anything to charge an extra $7.00 per tire of pure profit. As to ride comfort, I won't even comment. Pressure is pressure regardless of what kind of gas is exerting it. That's like saying Perrier water is wetter than tap water. Hey, it's your money.

Leo George Jr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black

Everyone has an opinion. I know it is worth the money to me not to be playing with increasing and decreasing tire pressures from season to season, nitrogen is a dryer, more stable gas that's less prone to changes in pressure due to heat or cold. Nitrogen will not degrade the interior rubber of the tire or corrode the wheels, since it contains no oxygen or water vapor. When I put $800 worth of tires on my car, an extra few dollars is not a big deal.

TulsaVic is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '08 DTS Performance (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by RicktheRealtor View Post
    Nitrogen in tires is the biggest scam out there. Itdltc is right in that regular air is already composed of 78% N. Nitrogen as a gas is inert, and won't support combustion. It is used in aircraft tires, etc. Obviously, if you're slamming unto a carrier deck and in engaged in high speed and mass braking with high temperatures, there is benefit to using nitrogen. But in regular car tires, the benefits are negligble. The tire retailers try to tell us that tires don't leak as much with nitrogen, but do the math, and you'll see that gains are virtually too small to notice. Anything to charge an extra $7.00 per tire of pure profit. As to ride comfort, I won't even comment. Pressure is pressure regardless of what kind of gas is exerting it. That's like saying Perrier water is wetter than tap water. Hey, it's your money.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that my car does NOT perform better and ride smoother after a good car wash.....

RicktheRealtor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Of course your car will perform better after a car wash. Everyone knows that! Look at all that drag on the vehicle with the bird dropping on it.
    But seriously, Leo is correct about the dryer nature of nitrogen. Often the moisture content of air does cause rusting inside the tire, especially along the bead, thereby allowing those pesky slow leaks. To help keep mositure to a minimum, when inflating your tires, hold down the air hose end for a couple of seconds before attaching it to your valve stem. Assuming that the air in the compressor is relatively dry, you'll extract some moisture from the hose first and add less moisture into the tire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.