Stumping the dealer with electrical problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DTS Forum - 2006 through 2012 Discussion, Stumping the dealer with electrical problem? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a serious electrical problem with my 2003 dts. Sometimes while im driving my service air bag light comes ...
    roofus3000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Stumping the dealer with electrical problem?

I have a serious electrical problem with my 2003 dts. Sometimes while im driving my service air bag light comes on, my battery light comes on, my temp gauge and water temp gauge go to zero and my radio turns off. The car still drives ok but when I turn the car off, the key wont come out of the ignition. Then after some time miraculously the car works fine...no issues for weeks.
    This time however i was driving the car with no problems, came outside a few hours later to drive to work and the car wont turn over.
    The main time i notice this problem is when it rains outside or when there is alot of moisture in the air ie snow or extreme cold but, when I turn the car on, some lights in the dash board work but others wont, and my blower motor works. The car will not turn over to start. When I try to pull up codes, all it says is no data for every category. I took it to the dealer and they''ve had my car for over a week and cant find the problem. They are telling me that the problem has to be duplicated before they can diagnose the problem. Is this true?
    When I first took it to them something killed my battery so they thought it was a battery problem till they charged the battery up. They called and told me to come pick the car up but as soon as I did, I tried to start the car (at the dealers) and it did it again (would not turn over). They are completely stumped and so am I.
    Could it be something as simple as a battery or is it more to it than this? Most threads ive read mention to check the battery first but i would assume the dealers shouldve checked this first.
    Also I went to check up on the car earlier this week and the car started right up. I then pulled the codes and it read irc u1000. Did some research on this code and it seems this code is too broad to be able to pinpoint exactly where the problem lies. I need help.I left the car there in hopes they can find the problem but I NEED MY CAR BACK!! Is there anyone out there that has any clues as to what I should do next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Re: Stumping the dealer with electrical problem?

I see that you have a 2003 DTS...
    This is the 2006 and newer forum... but I will try to help you.

Your RED battery cable is a MULTI PIECE cable where it screws into the battery.
    Move the red rubber cover back and separate the cable and clean it really good.
    I seem to remember that there are 3 pieces to it.
    Corrosion gets in between the three pieces of the cable.
    When you put it back on the battery, make sure it is not BOTTOMING OUT before it is good and tight.
    If it is, go to the parts store and buy a COPPER washer to use as a spacer.

Texas Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    I see that you have a 2003 DTS...
    This is the 2006 and newer forum... but I will try to help you.

Your RED battery cable is a MULTI PIECE cable where it screws into the battery.
    Move the red rubber cover back and separate the cable and clean it really good.
    I seem to remember that there are 3 pieces to it.
    Corrosion gets in between the three pieces of the cable.
    When you put it back on the battery, make sure it is not BOTTOMING OUT before it is good and tight.
    If it is, go to the parts store and buy a COPPER washer to use as a spacer.

Texas Jim
    Sorry I posted in wrong forum this is my first post. Will this cause a class 2 loss of communication? The dealer seems to think it has nothing to do with the battery.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

roofus3000, have you tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about this issue or has the dealer tried to involve the Technical Assistance team in trying to diagnose the vehicle? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by roofus3000 View Post
    Sorry I posted in wrong forum this is my first post.
    Will this cause a class 2 loss of communication?
    The dealer seems to think it has nothing to do with the battery.
    The dealer may be right .. UP TO A POINT...
    The battery itself may be good and may not be causing a problem..but the 3 piece red cable may be corroded internally and "IT" may be causing a problem.
    The battery itself can not cause a loss of class 2 communication, but a corroded cable can ...when it loses contact with the battery momentarily.

It may very well "NOT" be a cable... I understand that.
    But it is easy to check and clean it to eliminate that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    roofus3000, have you tried speaking with our Customer Assistance team about this issue or has the dealer tried to involve the Technical Assistance team in trying to diagnose the vehicle? Thank you for your time.

No they havent they have been very uncooperative.they havent suggested anything like that. I called the customer assistance team and they said they would get back to me after they talked to the dealer but they never called me back. It seems as if they are content with having my car for going on 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjim View Post
    The dealer may be right .. UP TO A POINT...
    The battery itself may be good and may not be causing a problem..but the 3 piece red cable may be corroded internally and "IT" may be causing a problem.
    The battery itself can not cause a loss of class 2 communication, but a corroded cable can ...when it loses contact with the battery momentarily.

It may very well "NOT" be a cable... I understand that.
    But it is easy to check and clean it to eliminate that possibility.
    I appreciated your response and help. I will ask them about this tomorrow to see if they can check this so I can eliminate this as a possibility if this is not the problem.

roofus3000, did the agent you spoke with give you a case number for your reference? If so could you direct message me that case number so I can look through it for you? Thank you.

ogbuehi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville, 2011 DTS

I can tell you right now that it could be a myriad of problems. I had electrical issues with the seat belt indicator, chime, and other stuff intermittently acting funny. Turns out (after dropping the entire steering column, removing the entire dash, and removing the computer) that the insulation on some wires at a junction point had melted away and the exposed conductors were touching each other. It was a really simple fix (just cut and splice in new sections of wire to replace the damaged ones) but getting to that junction point took nearly eight hours. This could be similar to what may be causing issues in your car. So the solution may be easy, but it could take quite awhile to get to the actual problem. As long as they are using a manufacturer's service manual to troubleshoot your vehicle then I would trust the dealership to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post
    I can tell you right now that it could be a myriad of problems. I had electrical issues with the seat belt indicator, chime, and other stuff intermittently acting funny. Turns out (after dropping the entire steering column, removing the entire dash, and removing the computer) that the insulation on some wires at a junction point had melted away and the exposed conductors were touching each other. It was a really simple fix (just cut and splice in new sections of wire to replace the damaged ones) but getting to that junction point took nearly eight hours. This could be similar to what may be causing issues in your car. So the solution may be easy, but it could take quite awhile to get to the actual problem. As long as they are using a manufacturer's service manual to troubleshoot your vehicle then I would trust the dealership to work on it.
    I understand what you are saying but you said that took eight hours....they have had my car for 2 weeks. Its as if my car is not a priority for them since its not a problem they can fix by pulling up codes. They are stumped and now they work on my car whenever they get a chance to(spare time). My point is my car should be the priority since its there product and since they have had it this long. Apparently if i decided to take to the dealer I am ready to pay what it takes to get it fixed. I think they feel if they diagnose the problem..I will take it somewhere else to get it fixed cheaper.Im very disappointed in how the "dealer" is handling this problem.No one should have your car for 2 weeks and cant tell you whats wrong with it.

roofus3000, through this entire process have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team at all? Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    roofus3000, through this entire process have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team at all? Thank you for your time.

Yes I have. This entire process has escalated to the district level. Very frustrating. Have to wait till next week. That will make it a month w/o my car!

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear you've had to go so long without your vehicle. Hopefully we will be able to expedite the process for you and get you back into your vehicle as soon as possible.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.